West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

The baggies fans problem seems to be the gayle red card

The 1st yellow he was warned and did it again, they should be frustrated with their own player for that it was stupid

The 2nd yellow...at no stage of that whole incident was he ever getting close to that ball, nowehere near it "he has a right to go for it" no he didn't!! 

• Like 1

Seems to be a lot of issues with the referee. Can't understand why, if my team went out and played like that I wouldn't give a **** about the referee performance. I would be fuming at our mindset.

Similar to the play off final. Can argue we didn't get the decisions but ultimately we offered nothing, our gameplan was shit, we were passive and the game passed us by. You make your own luck.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The 1st yellow he was warned and did it again, they should be frustrated with their own player for that it was stupid

The 2nd yellow...at no stage of that whole incident was he ever getting close to that ball, nowehere near it "he has a right to go for it" no he didn't!! 

The thing is that Gayle had 2-3 other 'incidents' (mind the spelling) that could have been a second yellow. Going in on a keeper with force can go both ways, but after all the shit he did this match the referee had an easy choice. 

And he started time wasting 10 minutes into the half the stupid clearing in the woods

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

Forest fans feel like there was retribution for Gayle in our match, it's fantastic that they enjoyed that red card, the fact they didn't get a penalty and lost 2-1.

Nottingham Forest fans send Dwight Gayle this five word message after Aston Villa controversy

The West Brom striker was in the thick of the action at Villa Park

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nottingham-forest-west-brom-gayle-16261341

Would say the same if one of our players got a red card in a similar way. Should have gotten er red sooner though, got away with a couple of nasty challenges. 

Dwight Gayle will not be available for the play-off final at Wembley if Albion get there, because he will be banned for two games following today's red card.

Gayle to be banned for 2 games

Such a great shame if this is true... 🤣🤣🤣

According to the article he will get a 2 game ban as he was banned earlier in the season for diving. 

The whole 'he has a right to go for the ball' thing is very irritating. You have a right to go in for any challenge, but mistime the challenge and be prepared for a yellow.

• Like 3

I don't know, he pulled out of the challenge when he realized he wasn't going to get there. He took out the keeper, it was a foul yes. But I don't think it was a yellow just because it was the keeper. There was no real force or malice in the challenge...just getting to the ball late. Studs down, feet pointed to the floor. He did all he could to avoid hurting Steer. That was harsh.

That said, his elbow on Grealish 2 minutes after his first yellow was definitely a yellow though so it evens out I guess.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't know, he pulled out of the challenge when he realized he wasn't going to get there. He took out the keeper, it was a foul yes. But I don't think it was a yellow just because it was the keeper. There was no real force or malice in the challenge...just getting to the ball late. Studs down, feet pointed to the floor. He did all he could to avoid hurting Steer. That was harsh.

That said, his elbow on Grealish 2 minutes after his first yellow was definitely a yellow though so it evens out I guess.

Maybe the second yellow was the build up of other bad tackles before, and not just one incident.

• Like 4

On 11/05/2019 at 18:55, villa4europe said:

I’m happy because so many fouls on keepers are excused by “he had a right to go for it”

great. That’s not an excuse when you make a bad tackle on a midfielder. Why is it suddenly justification for a poor challenge on a keeper?

keepers get way too much protection in the air, but for challenges like that they get almost none when you consider they can quite easily (and legally) be going in head first.

”the ball was there to be won” is often used to excuse kicking a keeper in the face. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

But as I’ve said above, that excuse wouldn’t be valid for a poor late challenge on a midfielder in the middle of the pitch, so why does it change for goalkeepers?

Just now, Stevo985 said:

But as I’ve said above, that excuse wouldn’t be valid for a poor late challenge on a midfielder in the middle of the pitch, so why does it change for goalkeepers?

Imo that's not a yellow card on a midfielder either. It's weird because when a player is on a yellow, every challenge becomes worthy of another yellow.

He went in for a challenge, it was late...it happens. Yellows are given for reckless play and or impediment. Gayle's tackle was neither, just late. He even made an effort to pull out and not hurt the keeper. But like @Dick said, it could have been for an accumulation of offences leading up to that.

• Like 1

Man they are coming out with some proper salty specials, found these on Express&Star Online :)

" Villa were blatantly cheating and deliberately trying to get our players in trouble yesterday. But nothing will happen, Gayle will still be banned and Grealish won't. "

" So "from West Bromwich but Villa supporting" traitor Dean Smith will have a massively unfair advantage Tuesday night. And to think of how they squealed for months about "the hand of Rod"! "

" Greasy jack conned the ref, will he get a ban. "

" Kanu’s act of violence was far less than Hourihane’s against Leeds!!! "

Love it!

22 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Imo that's not a yellow card on a midfielder either. It's weird because when a player is on a yellow, every challenge becomes worthy of another yellow.

He went in for a challenge, it was late...it happens. Yellows are given for reckless play and or impediment. Gayle's tackle was neither, just late. He even made an effort to pull out and not hurt the keeper. But like @Dick said, it could have been for an accumulation of offences leading up to that.

I think it’s the other way round. If he wasn’t already on a yellow I don’t think anyone would have batted an eyelid over him getting a booking for that.

Baggies have fell into the same trap as Bristol City.

Instead of accepting they were AWFUL, defended for their lives, wasted time and were completely outplayed for the majority of the game - they blame the referee for what was a clear penalty. 

Instead of accepting they were negative, poor and trying to resolve the issue, they will cry about a perfectly adequate referee performance. 

A manager worth his salt, would have come out and said their game plan nearly worked, but they weren't good enough and will sort it out for the next game. Instead he cries about Gayles red card.

Expect more of the same on Tuesday. 

I can't actually believe they legitimately think that Grealish could or should get some kind of ban for diving! Gibbs was a moron for sliding in like that, and could have easily got a second yellow card.

The only thing I think the ref got wrong was that on one occasion Gayle took a hand to the face and no free kick was given, but when the same thing happened to Green we got a free kick.

Even their penalty shout was a bit dubious to me, it's one of those where if it happened to our player I'd want the pen, but it did seem a little soft imo. 

Â