The QPR circus thread

dudevillaisnice

In fairness, his comments at the time about the chairman's pants being pulled down were as much to do with WHO was earning the big money as it was about the big money being earned. I.O.W. he was going to try and give similar money to more-deserving players. Now I think the 'oh look he's doing what he said he wouldn't' thing was just the anti-Harry fan club intentionally misinterpreting his quotes for the fun of it. 

Not really.

He specifically said he didn't want to spend any money, and that clubs with small stadiums shouldn't be spending such high wages on players that they can't afford.

Then went out and paid Chris Samba 100k a week.

He specifically said he didn't want to spend any money, and that clubs with small stadiums shouldn't be spending such high wages on players that they can't afford.

Well if that's the case then fair enough. He's a knob. The QPR story will be interesting next season and I wouldn't put my house on him being in charge there, by which I mean I could see him doing a runner.

‘We’ve got a stadium that holds 18,000 people and shouldn’t be paying big wages. Newcastle’s ground holds 55,000 and I bet you most of their players won’t be earning what our players are. So that is a problem.’

That was before he'd added about a quarter of a million a week to the wage bill.

Edited by Stevo985

From the 22nd of december

"I fined a player last week and he was earning more than any player earned at Tottenham. You shouldn't be paying massive wages when you've got a stadium that holds 18,000 people.

I'm not anti redknapp, he is a good manager who id rather have in charge of england over hodgson, but his relationship with the press for some reason leaves him immune from critisism.

I'm not sure I would rate him as a good manager. Depends on the definition of good, I suppose.

I think he's a decent (ability wise, certainly not personality wise) manager. Nothing more.

I'm sure he will be the next West Ham manager

I find it amusing how West Ham keep dragging out big Sam signing a new deal until they are safe 

They are clearly safe surely they will sit down with him asap and give him the deal he deserves

But then again this is Gold and Sullivan I'm sure Arry's agent has already put the feelers out

Some people really thought Harry was the best choice for us. I dread to think what he would have done to us.

I'm not a big fan of Harry either but I'm not sure if he would have us much lower than we are now. 

One thing which I think is a key aspect of a good manager is convincing the chairman to part with his money to sign players. HR has generally always encouraged his chairmen to invest in the playing staff. Something Lambert hasn't really achieved.

Some people really thought Harry was the best choice for us. I dread to think what he would have done to us.

I'm not a big fan of Harry either but I'm not sure if he would have us much lower than we are now. 

One thing which I think is a key aspect of a good manager is convincing the chairman to part with his money to sign players. HR has generally always encouraged his chairmen to invest in the playing staff. Something Lambert hasn't really achieved.

That's exactly why I dread to think what he would have done to us.

That's exactly why I dread to think what he would have done to us.

He may have brought in some experienced higher paid players and had us pushing form the top 6.

He spent money at Spurs and Pompy and got success. Of course the Pompy business model was majorly flawed but Villa have a much bigger financial footing. I think the right manager could get Villa up the table with a reasonable amount of expenditure.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

So do I.

But Harry Redknapp is not the "right manager".

He's taken a team in a similar (albeit slightly worse at the time) position, spent money, like you said, and arguably made them worse. He's certainly acquired a worse record than his predecessors despite spending fucktonnes of money on the way.

He's condemned them to relegation and probably plunged them into financial... uncertainty, for want of a better word.

And he's done all of that whilst being a grade A word removed.

Again, I dread to think what he would have done to us.

Edited by Stevo985

QPR are a completely different club to Villa. They're not setup for sustaining a place in the Premier League. His spending was always a deserate last throw of the dice and I don't think anybody expected them to respond with so little.

He is a word removed of the highest order, no disagreement there. I think however though, if he had the summer to work with our squad and was given money to spend he'd have us higher up the table than we are now (which is where we will be this time next year if we avoid the drop).

His spending has always been throw at the dice. Didnt he spend nearly 40 million in 1 transfer window at Spurs on signing Chimbonda, Keane and Defoe.

Redknapp would be a disaster here. Id rather take a chance on young players like Westwood and Bennett than signing Premier League dross like Jenas. He be just another version of MON and thats what we need to stay away from

QPR are a completely different club to Villa. They're not setup for sustaining a place in the Premier League. His spending was always a deserate last throw of the dice and I don't think anybody expected them to respond with so little.

He is a word removed of the highest order, no disagreement there. I think however though, if he had the summer to work with our squad and was given money to spend he'd have us higher up the table than we are now (which is where we will be this time next year if we avoid the drop).

I disagree. And if he did, it would have been by throwing money at us.

We can't afford that.

There's dozens of other managers I'd rather have had at the club (and still would) ahead of Redknapp.

We can't afford that.

There's dozens of other managers I'd rather have had at the club (and still would) ahead of Redknapp.

This is Premier League football ownership. I think at Villa we're being brainwahsed to believe that is can be done on a shoestring, we are living proof that it can't. Staying in the league costs a huge amount of money.

Also, another thing that the Villa supporting community seem to believe that is is possible for every signing to be a success and every contract handed to a player be value for money. It isn't, every club has over piad players and transfer investments that won't ever get back.

He be just another version of MON and thats what we need to stay away from

What we need to stay away from is the Championship... and we are poised to fail that criteria.

true BUT if we are to go down Its better to go down with a wage bill as currently than on wasting on crap overpaid players you cant get rid of. If we do go down the only overpaid players at moment are Given, Bent, N'Zogbia, Gabby and Hutton.

Agree to disagree.

I think Redknapp would be (and would have been) a total disaster at this club. I'm thankful our owner, for once, had more sense than to try and go for him.

We can't afford that.

This is Premier League football ownership. I think at Villa we're being brainwahsed to believe that is can be done on a shoestring, we are living proof that it can't. Staying in the league costs a huge amount of money.

Also, another thing that the Villa supporting community seem to believe that is is possible for every signing to be a success and every contract handed to a player be value for money. It isn't, every club has over piad players and transfer investments that won't ever get back.

I agree about fans expectations but I think that has stemmed from other teams getting bargains and value for money when we were signing overpaid crap like Cuellar, Heskey, Beye etc

Â