emigrating to the US

tomzep

again thanks for the replies lads.

Sureshot, the L1 visa is a bit tricky for me as I work in govt. or non for profit management and to get an over seas posting in this, especially to the US takes a lot of service. How have you found living there? I've adapted fine living in Toronto and South Korea but I do worry about America for some reason, I just hope to find some ex pats!

Cheers for all the info levi, much appreciated. I was worried that they'd be looking for photos of a huge ceremony. I wont mention to the Mrs that Klingon ones were allowed, she'll want so sci-fi fairy based thing! From that list, marriage, intern/trainee or student are my only yes answers

To put it simply, if you are not Indian your chances of getting any kind of work visa at the moment is very slim. We can't bag a visa for a world renowned PhD to come over from Europe but Infosys and TATA have no problem bussing in truckloads of programmers and QA testers from Hyderabad or Mumbai on H1B's whose sole technical experience is using a vending machine, once. The work Visa system is utterly ****.

• Like 1

What makes it so easy for them? Is it simply that at the moment the policy is to bring in programmers over other professions? I've spoke to few organisations that would be willing to hire me if they have openings nearer the time, but is having a sponsor simply not enough?

In my category there is an angry divide between India and the Rest Of World sub-categories. Accusations of corruption, manipulation and intense political activism. When my category (EB3, requires degree) got a huge backlog it went into retrogression and Indians ported to EB2 (Masters plus 10 years experience) in their thousands. Now EB2 is backlogged while EB3 has continued to move steadily forward. You have to ask yourself where all these Masters degrees and years of experience came from.

I think on company transfers you can apply for 'Premium Processing' (if it still exists), which is very quick but costs many thousands of pounds.

If she is fit then marry it innit

If she is a porker then get student space

This has been the most common advice :P My problem is I suppose i see 'marriage' as a much bigger thing than most people

BillyShears, as I've been researching this I've stumbled across some universities that actually offer courses that claim to count as both work experience and your masters while only needing to attend once a week for three years! I imagine people sign up to one of these and wait it to collect the degree and 3 years work experience simultaneously. They even state on their websites 'fulfills US visa requirements' haha

• Like 1

I suggested that at first, then she asked me why I want to go back. Saying I could get my season ticket in the Holte back didnt sway her

Don't come back here. I'm fleeing back to Korea with my tail between my legs and you aren't missing much down the Villa!

Â