Villa's record in penalty shoot outs

Pongotastic

Wimbledon FA Cup 4th round - 1991-92 - LOST

Tranmere League Cup semi final - 1993-4 WON

Inter Milan - Uefa Cup 1994 - Round 2 - WON

West Ham - League Cup Quarter final - 1999-00 - LOST (match later replayed after West Ham fielded ineligible player and we won)

Bolton - FA Cup semi final 2000 - WON

Sunderland - League Cup semi final 2009 - WON

Any more?

edit: how could I forget Tranmere?

remember losing 10-9 in a shoot out to Colchester, midweek, in the league cup in maybe 1979 after winning the first leg 2-0 at Colchester we contrived to lose 2-0 at home, then lose the shoot out.

Yeah Wimbledon is the only defeat during my tenure as a Villa fan andfootball had only just started pricking my interest then so I don't remember. The West Ham one I don't count because we won the tie, so therefore I have never seen Villa lose a penalty shootout.

Didn't we go to Pens in one of the cups last year?

Or am I going crazy?

Nah, league cup we beat Hereford then got knocked out by Bolton early doors and FA cup beat Bristol Rovers then lost to Arsenal

Sorry to be a pedant - but the loss to Wimbledon actually occurred in 1992-93 season. We drew at home 1-1, wearing our lace up kit (which we only had in that season), and I believe it was Kevin Richardson who missed the penalty (in the heavy fog...) at Selhurst Park in the replay shoot out.

For the record, even Aston Villa cannot fully remember the kit we had in 1992-93. The merchandise booklet from the shop shows it as a '1990' retro-kit. Even the club is denying it's own history.

By a country mile, the kits Villa wore from 1990-92 and then 92-93 and 95-96 were the best kits in the league at the time.

Most recent (competitively) was definitely the Brad Guzan show up in Sunderland, so yes, you are going crazy. :P

That's so strange.

I absolutely believ you, but I have this nagging thing in my brain saying we've been in another one since.

Didn't we go to Pens in one of the cups last year?

Or am I going crazy?

Maybe you're thinking of the pen Guzan saved at Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup last season, during normal time?

That's so strange.

I absolutely believ you, but I have this nagging thing in my brain saying we've been in another one since.

we had pens in a friendly in the states this preseason if that's what you're thinking of?

remember losing 10-9 in a shoot out to Colchester, midweek, in the league cup in maybe 1979 after winning the first leg 2-0 at Colchester we contrived to lose 2-0 at home, then lose the shoot out.

You must have had a few then Blandy because we actually won that one, when the Colchester keeper put his spot kick into orbit

Â