January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

We are screwed I feel. Relegation is inevitable.

No I don't think relegation is inevitable.

Either the chairman needs to bite the bullet again and give our present manager the required finance to address the weaknesses in our team which Lambert has thankfully identified or, sack Lambert now and bring in a new manager and give him the required 20m plus wages to keep us in the Premiership.

It would have to be a leap of faith by the chairman to back Lambert again but Lerner could stipulate to Lambert that the finance must be spent on quality experienced players rather than players from the Championship and lower.

This expenditure could then be offset with the sale of Bent at the end of the season coupled with Dunne and Warnock of the wage bill.

At the moment it seems to be head in the sand time for the board in the hope that 'we'll be alright.'

but Lerner could stipulate to Lambert that the finance must be spent on quality experienced players rather than players from the Championship and lower.
I don't the owner getting involved with targeting players to sign is the best idea at all.

I'm going to ask again, what has Henke been doing the last 6 months ? Where is the end product ? Not even a couple of gems from the lower German leagues

Are you being serious about this? The month isn't even over yet FFS and it's not Henke's fault if Lerner won't spend. Edited by Mantis

If the £400k price tag is correct, I'd hope we were in for him too ( Fernando Amorebieta from Athletic Bilbao )

http://www.mirror.co...ch-west-1531333

I've seen him play, he wins literally every header!

Scores a lot from set pieces too, and hes on 1.6 million euros for salary. (approx £25k a week in pounds).

He's very experienced and has played in the Europa league (got to the final last year)

however Everton and other clubs higher than us are interested :( so hes unlikely to come to us

If we could get him, he would be an absolute steal.

Especially at that price!!!

I don't the owner getting involved with targeting players to sign is the best idea at all.

Are you being serious about this? The month isn't even over yet FFS and it's not Henke's fault if Lerner won't spend.

How do you know Lerner won't spend ? Is that a fact or speculation

I'm going to ask again, what has Henke been doing the last 6 months ? Where is the end product ? Not even a couple of gems from the lower German leagues

Well as he is leaving apparently to take on a coaching role we will never know. He can probably see we arent listening to him

Are you being serious about this? The month isn't even over yet FFS and it's not Henke's fault if Lerner won't spend.

Hasnt Henke left the club to become manager of a German team? I seem to remember reading it on another thread.

In the normal scheme of things Mantis I totally agree with you that it isn't a good idea at all but before the season started Lambert did say that funding was made available for experienced players which was suggested by the chairman but he chose differently.

I'm not suggesting that the chairman should be involved in targeting specific players but stipulating that he won't release anymore finance for players in the lower leagues.

Yesterday you were arguing that no one knows what's going on behind the scenes.

How do you know Lerner won't spend ? Is that a fact or speculation

I don't know that, hence the "if".

In the normal scheme of things Mantis I totally agree with you that it isn't a good idea at all but before the season started Lambert did say that funding was made available for experienced players which was suggested by the chairman but he chose differently.

I'm not suggesting that the chairman should be involved in targeting specific players but stipulating that he won't release anymore finance for players in the lower leagues.

That would be a dreadful idea. First of all we could actually get some decent players from the lower leagues. I don't think anyone needs reminding that our best midfielder at the moment (not saying much) came from League 2. Edited by Mantis

Sounds like Henke has had his eyes on this other club instead of looking at potential signings for Aston Villa.

not the case at all I don't think but it must be pretty depressing doing a job and then not seeing the fruits of it. He's like an inflatable dart board at this club

I thought Henke had been offered the job? Didnt realise he'd accepted it yet?

Hey let's not let common sense get in the way of inane ranting.

He "might" be off, not done yet is it? If he does leave, does it mean he's fed up? Or could it be possible that he just fancies the day to day involvement that he's had before?

Nah of course it's because everything is crap blah blah blah

Our failings have been well documented in not replacing any quality that was in the team.

Laursen, Mellberg, Bouma, Young, Barry, Milner, Petrov....

Looking around the other teams, i reckon even Sidwell and Collins would walk back into our first XI, from a quality perspective. In fact, there are many players that left for little money that would improve our team : The Hitz, Maloney, Routledge, Hughes, Gardner and of course Cahill.

We have 3 guys that know where that back of the net is, yet no one to deliver them the ball.

No one to stamp his authority in the midfield and take the pressure off the back four.

No one to pull the occasional rabbit out of the hat by being a set piece master, be it a direct free kick, or sending in a corner. Even then we've hardly go the power and muscle to dominate the opponents box these days should a good corner be taken.

Paul Lambert has been naive in his thinking. I genuinely think he thought there was more quality in the team hence how he spent in the summer. Having said that, we needed numbers too, so 24mill doesn't travel too far...

Randy needs to back his manager and his investment. We do not have a PL quality team and any manager would be performing a miracle to keep this squad out of the bottom 3. I saw Randy and Faulkner in Hotel du Vin after the Wigan game with their partners and they looked glum and quiet. Surely they must realise what needs to be done?