January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

There is still 16 games to go and there are still 5 other teams near us who will sooner or later hav a bad run of injuries and results and we will have to string sum decent results together at sum point

I think it's time for the manager to swallow his pride and play

Given

Lowton dunne vlaar warncock

Ireland Westwood Delph

Zog Bent Gabby

Yep lets play injured players. That will solve all our problems. Are crutches allowed too?

Long post, sorry.

I think that we can all accept that January is a notoriously difficult time to buy players, as the "desperation" of the buying club encourages the selling club to drive up prices. I still believe that the rhetoric coming out of VP is an attempt to limit those price rises for players that we are trying to sign.

There could be any number of reasons as to why we've not signed anybody yet (that we know of).

(1) RL won't sanction the spend. Think we can discount this on the grounds that everyone can see that financially it would be better for AVFC to not get relegated. I know that RL and PF are accused by some of being financial cretins, but I can not believe that this is the case.

(2) PL doesn't want any new players - we can discount this as he's as good as said we need a couple more players.

(3) Players, of the quality required, don't want to sign for AVFC - don't believe this for a second. Are people trying to tell me that there are not players anywhere in the world that don't want to sign, nah, not having that. Even in times of austerity at VP we'll still pay larger wages that most other teams around the world, plus there the exposé that the premier league brings, which should be alluring to players (ie if they play well for AV then they'll get a move to Manure or whoever).

The following I would suggest are more likely.

(4) Deals have been agreed in principle between clubs, but players agents sense an opportunity to inflate wages and sign on fees. Call it the Reo-Coker syndrome, the agent has told the player 'don't sign yet as Barca or Inter or whoever are also interested, and they pay bigger sign on fees and wages/ champions league blah do blah'. Until the player sees through that or it unsurprisingly does materialise then, then PL must sit and wait. He can always do things to speed this process up, but if it's a player he really wants, then he has to just wait.

(5) the selling club have asked time to find time to source a replacement for the player that is leaving to join AV, not entirely unreasonable, and probably prudent for the club not to burn any future bridges by playing hard ball.

(6) because of the tactic of pleading poverty, we're not going to complete on deals until deals are in place for all PL's targets. If we were to sign player X on 02/01/13 for £8m, it's quite difficult to argue we've no money when we go in for player Y and Z.

I know things are crap at the moment, and it's been crap for a number of seasons now, but we have to keep the faith. It's hard, particularly for you guys living in Birmingham, having to go in to work on a Monday and having to take all the piss taking from the baggies fans and noses. What else can we fans do? Not a lot! We just have to ride it out, wait and see, and trust those in charge of the club.

For what it's worth, I don't believe that sacking PL is the way forward. That's not because I think PL is not the right man, or doing a bad job, which I'm still undecided upon, but based on the fact that the club needs stability.

Keep the faith lads and sing your hearts out on match.

UTV

Edited by EastEndVillan

I'm afraid I do not believe that this is an attempt by villa to keep the prices down, not saying I believe we have no money or loads of money at this point, just that there is no rhetoric designed to keep prices down.

Other clubs aren't stupid you see and they either say "pay what we want or feck off" or they will look at the league table and ignore the supposed rhetoric

Go get Scott damn from Blackburn. Has prem experience and was one of the best cb in the league at one point. Won't cost much.

Get palacios or huddlestone on loan or buy dnt think he be much

And then find a good lb won't be difficult when you consider how shit Stevens and Bennett are

• Like 1

Yep, we need a couple of nasty players, but who can actually be effectively nasty. Delph seems to get a booking every game, but has no presence because he is a strip of piss who wouldn't intimidate my daughter. You don't need to be big, but to be a good DCM, you need to be very strong. And no-one in our midfield is.

Also, I cannot understand why people put Weimann out wide in their proposed formations. He is a goal poacher. We see time and again that his crossing is poor, his decision making can be poor, but his one touch finishes are as good as anyone. To use him right, we need to play him CF, with Benteke.

People always talk about whether we should play Benteke or Bent, but for me it is Weimann or Bent, as neither do the role Benteke does.

• Like 1

whys everyone putting delph in a starting line up? hes the worst player in the first team - and we have some really bad players, bennett, lichaj, bannan, hutton and warnock!

with what we have

(# = who should be replaced with new and dropped to the bench)

Guzan

Lowton - Vlaar - Baker# - Stevens#

Westwood - Herd# - NZogbia#

Weimann - Bent/Benteke - Gabby

were quite weak on our left side, yesderday i said we need 5 players, that would be another CB to what we need already (CB, LB, DM, AM)

whys everyone putting delph in a starting line up? hes the worst player in the first team - and we have some really bad players, bennett, lichaj, bannan, hutton and warnock!

with what we have

(# = who should be replaced with new and dropped to the bench)

Guzan

Lowton - Vlaar - Baker# - Stevens#

Westwood - Herd# - NZogbia#

Weimann - Bent/Benteke - Gabby

were quite weak on our left side, yesderday i said we need 5 players, that would be another CB to what we need already (CB, LB, DM, AM)

Delph is better than Bannan in my opinion.

Go get Scott damn from Blackburn. Has prem experience and was one of the best cb in the league at one point. Won't cost much.

Get palacios or huddlestone on loan or buy dnt think he be much

And then find a good lb won't be difficult when you consider how shit Stevens and Bennett are

I agree with getting scott dann, fits in our budget but would be a great asset

Not Huddleston, we have enough sicknotes as it is.

It's all a bit quiet out there. Being a Villa fan has never been so dire. Not even a rumour to cling to and a manager telling us not to 'dream' about signing anyone realistically decent enough to keep us up.