January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Im concerned we are trying to buy an attacking midfielder for 10 million plus.

our biggest concern is a DM. we need to throw 10 million at a high quality DM. Unless Randy is feeling generous and gets both !

DM and CB are an absolute must. Stephens and Coutinho would be great additions but those 2 positions should be priority.

I agree. Coutinho from what little I know/have seen of him looks a very exciting player. Stephens again looks decent with plenty of potential. However these signings would be very much putting the cart before the horse. We desperately need a new centre back with proven quality at this level and a defensive central midfielder. Without them we will continue to leak loads of goals and continue to struggle.

I am becoming increasingly concerned that the players we are in urgent need of have not yet been signed and don't seem to be on the horizon. There is next to no chance of us making the centre back and defensive midfield signings we need before Saturday and we will certainly struggle again with out them.

Edited by markavfc40

Sky Sports would normally pick up a story like this of a bid rejected for a player like this wouldnt they?. Havent seen anything though, just these twitter and internet bits

It's on the SSN website now. No new news just confirming what the agent has already said. Would be great if we can pull this off though. A signing of this calibre could open up opportunities to invest in other quality European talent like Moussa Sissoko and Simon Kjaer. Straw clutching set to maximum.

Doesn't look any one is coming before huge saints game even though desperate for players

That's what concerns me. We've known for ages we need reinforcements yet nothing is being done quickly enough

Where is the urgency ???

Aston Villa have made an enquiry for Inter Milan winger Philippe Coutinho, according to the player's agent.

Reports emanating from Italy claim Inter have rejected Villa's offer for the Brazilian as Paul Lambert looks to bolster his squad in this month's transfer window.

Southampton have been credited with an interest in Coutinho, who has fallen down the pecking order at Inter and spent last season on loan at Espanyol.

Coutinho's agent, Cacau Barbosa, has confirmed Villa have made an approach for the 20-year-old, but nothing has been agreed for a possible move to Villa Park.

"I can confirm Aston Villa made an enquiry for Coutinho," Barbosa told FC Inter News.

"They want him, but with all due respect for the proposal made to Philippe, at this moment there is still nothing concrete to suggest an exit from Inter."

SSN

If we've bid, its because there has been encouragement from the player in some way.

So the impossible brigade can do one. It is possible.

And you honestly think Lambert doesn't know we need defensive reinforcements too? Of course he does.

Be glad we can afford to bid £9m on a player that isnt a massive priority (yet still required), because it means we probably do have some serious money to spend.

Southampton is a big game but the season hangs on getting this window right, not getting one game right.

• Like 1

In terms of Coutinho being 'interested' in coming here, perhaps he's only got as far as May 1982 in our Club History Encyclopedia. He is destined for far bigger things than wasting his time with us... He'll be first wanting to be out of the door if we get relegated - IMO.

I would be amazed if Coutinho signed for us... I'd probably love it, but can't see him coming here. I smell agent games unforch.

--

In other news, I fully agree with the sentiments of previous posters about the lack of 'done deals' prior to this Southampton fixture. CI - I don't even think 'mustn't lose' is good enough a description at this time. We've lost to Wigan (in spades) lately, at home... and already lost away to Saints (in spades). We simply HAVE to beat Southampton. If we can't beat them - (and no disrespect to them...) who in this league are we realistically looking to beat at Villa Park between now and May to safeguard our future?

Look, I know it takes time to do transfer deals and life is very complicated. Normally I am a reasonable guy and maybe really cranky as a result of the ongoing footballing depression around the club I love. I could go on about hindsight following the period between the Chelsea and Wigan game, but I ain't in the mood for tin hat tit-for-tat. 9 days in, and counting...

If we've bid, its because there has been encouragement from the player in some way.

So the impossible brigade can do one. It is possible.

And you honestly think Lambert doesn't know we need defensive reinforcements too? Of course he does.

Be glad we can afford to bid £9m on a player that isnt a massive priority (yet still required), because it means we probably do have some serious money to spend.

Southampton is a big game but the season hangs on getting this window right, not getting one game right.

Agreed. Even the wife can see that we need a CB (maybe 2) and a DM in this window so I'd imagine Lambert can see it too. Shipping 32 goals in 4 games* should make it fairly obvious.

*Please note stats may have been inflated for effect.