January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Arsenal apparently in for David Villa again, but I can't see Arsene paying what Barca will ask for...

So...

I can see them trying for Bent on deadline day, he'll be cheaper, he scores goals, Arsenal lack a poacher to put away chances. I hope that we have options lined up should Bent leave.

I'll be sad if Bent leaves, the day we signed him and then when he scored to help us beat Citeh, were one of the last times I was truly elated as a Villa fan!

I was thinking about this as I typed my message; we did need a striker and it was quite rightly our number 1 priority in the summer, along with signing a decent centre back. Both of which, we did. 

If money was so tight, central midfield was more important than signing 2 full backs, yes, Hutton and Warnock were shite, but it's the centre of the park that is most important so that would have been 5 million? to spend.

If money was so tight, central midfield was more important than signing 2 full backs, yes, Hutton and Warnock were shite, but it's the centre of the park that is most important so that would have been 5 million? to spend.

Agreed.

With money being so tight he should have saved the money from Bennet, Bowery and KEA and put it towards one decent defensive mid. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

we cant risk selling Bent. For what? A bit of money to spend when? theres a few days left.. and unless theres a great DM waiting for us to sell Bent to get him.. I wouldnt sell him.

Who can we buy so late? with all the decent DM's gone already.. its just too late.

Yep, the Midfield has been an obvious weakness for the last couple of years. The Midfield is where the game can be won or lost, you would have thought that would be number one priority to sort out. I can only guess that Lambert thought KEA coming in was going to sort the issue out along with Delph returning to fitness and gambled on those two being enough when combined with Ireland and N'Zogbia. It always looked a bit lightweight to me, but maybe they were showing enough during pre-season to assure Lambert that we were ok in that area. Sadly KEA has been disappointing and Ireland/N'Zogbia and Delph have never been consistant enough for me, the first two really should offer more to the team than they actually produce.

Yep, the Midfield has been an obvious weakness for the last couple of years. The Midfield is where the game can be won or lost, you would have thought that would be number one priority to sort out. I can only guess that Lambert thought KEA coming in was going to sort the issue out along with Delph returning to fitness and gambled on those two being enough when combined with Ireland and N'Zogbia. It always looked a bit lightweight to me, but maybe they were showing enough during pre-season to assure Lambert that we were ok in that area. Sadly KEA has been disappointing and Ireland/N'Zogbia and Delph have never been consistant enough for me, the first two really should offer more to the team than they actually produce.

Even getting one midfielder in wasn't enough.. KEA wasn't the answer and Delph certainly wasn't either (just look at his injury record).

Poor judgement either way, it's worrying how weak our midfield has looked for years and still nothing is done about it yet, I think we've had more full backs than midfielders in the past few years which is shocking.

I was thinking about this as I typed my message; we did need a striker and it was quite rightly our number 1 priority in the summer, along with signing a decent centre back. Both of which, we did. 

Disagree.

Our number one priority in the summer was a quality DM especially with the loss of Petrov. We already had Bent, Gabby, Weiman and Fonz along with Collins and Cuellar.

The FB issue i agree with due to the FBs at the club not being good enough and has that really improved any? 

We didn't need Benteke? Hasn't he scored MOST of our goals this season?

If we hadn't purchased Benteke and gone with Bent upfront in a system that suited him then i am in no doubt that Bent would have been on a similar goal ratio to Benteke thus allowing the 7m spent on Benteke to be spent elsewhere and where it was needed most.

Agreed.

With money being so tight he should have saved the money from Bennet, Bowery and KEA and put it towards one decent defensive mid. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Its nothing to do with hindsight. The manager is paid very well to make the correct decisions on transfers and the fact that he didn't is down to him.

Disagree.

Our number one priority in the summer was a quality DM especially with the loss of Petrov. We already had Bent, Gabby, Weiman and Fonz along with Collins and Cuellar.

The FB issue i agree with due to the FBs at the club not being good enough and has that really improved any? 

If we hadn't purchased Benteke and gone with Bent upfront in a system that suited him then i am in no doubt that Bent would have been on a similar goal ratio to Benteke thus allowing the 7m spent on Benteke to be spent elsewhere and where it was needed most.

You might be right, and it's looking that way now in fairness. Benteke has been a fantastic signing, but our team might have benefited more if the money had been spent on someone like Diame or Parker for the central midfield berth.

I'm not saying I entirely agree, but your point is certainly an arguable one. 

That is assuming Bent was injured which he has been the last 4 months on and off.I agree though Midfield was a far more urgent issue...obviously the 4 man attack at Bradford was in PL thinking from day one  :D

You might be right, and it's looking that way now in fairness. Benteke has been a fantastic signing, but our team might have benefited more if the money had been spent on someone like Diame or Parker for the central midfield berth.

I'm not saying I entirely agree, but your point is certainly an arguable one. 

Yes there's no doubt whatsoever that Benteke has been a fabulous signing but with Bent in his place and in the right system could we have done without Benteke if the budget was so tight?

Its also a fair point that someone made above and something i alluded to in the Bent thread that Benteke may have been purchased on the understanding that Bent would be sold which throws up another question, if that was so, why wasn't Bent sold in the summer window?

As i've stated before however i do still believe that we will get a bid for Bent maybe even as late as the last day of the window to keep the price down and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we agree to the low bid stating that the player wanted to go and there wasn't enough time to replace him.

To be honest I am not sure why we needed another left back - that money could've been spent on a DM.  Also I assume PL bought Al Ahmadi to be his CM starter.  That hasnt worked out at all, again money we could've used to buy a DM.  I am still fuming that we didnt go for Sissoko.  Exactly what we need. A presence and a box to box midfielder.

To be honest I am not sure why we needed another left back - that money could've been spent on a DM.  Also I assume PL bought Al Ahmadi to be his CM starter.  That hasnt worked out at all, again money we could've used to buy a DM.  I am still fuming that we didnt go for Sissoko.  Exactly what we need. A presence and a box to box midfielder.

To be fair KEA is a DM - that's where he played in holland, breaking up play and distributing the ball. The first few games he looked a real bargian, I liked watching him in the everton game where he more than physically matched fellani, and chipped in with a goal.

However he has really lost his way since then - if he can regain his form then he could be a big help.

Edited by villan_007