Favourite city?

Xela

Only been to a few city's in my life (list including UK)

London

Birmingham

Leeds

York

Oxford

Exeter

Chester

Leicester

Derby

Dublin

Paris

Venice

Rome

Nicosia

Cancun (fairly certain it's a city)

Montreal (loved it)

Quebec City

Plan on travelling America next year now - checking out as many as possible!

I'd recommend Seville as a really top city and one that people might not typically think of. I've been a couple of times and I'd put it right up there - beautiful city, huge cathedral, great food and drink, loads of history, 2 decent football sides in Sevilla + Betis and plenty of stunning women.

In summer 2011 I got a flight there and back inc all taxes etc for £20.00 (never had such a cheap return flight in my life) from East Midlands on Ryanair. Give it a shot.

I'm not well travelled at all, but I think I have been to every major city in Great Britain (one of the perks of my job), and while it goes without saying that London is quite spectacular, I do have to say I fell in love with Edinburgh when I was there this summer. There are effectively three city centres, and two of them are world heritage sites. Tere cant be many more beautiful cities in the world, surely? :wub:

See I really like Edinburgh, most of my best mates live in that surrounding area, so I spend quite a bit of time there. The main problem I seem to have with it though is that IMO, it lacks one true large central area. I personally would identify the area around Princes Street as the center, but as soon as you venture just a bit away from there, it's not like your in a city anymore, if that makes any sense. It is nice to go to Edinburgh though to get away from Glasgow after a while.

Really? It didnt feel like that to me at all? I was only there for a few days, but the centre to me felt like Murrayfield Stadium through to the Scottish Parliament building in Holyrood, which has got to be about three miles across. Princes Street Gardens definitely feels like Edinburgh's Trafalgar Square (ie, the centre of the centre) but the place didnt feel small to me at all.

Really? It didnt feel like that to me at all? I was only there for a few days, but the centre to me felt like Murrayfield Stadium through to the Scottish Parliament building in Holyrood, which has got to be about three miles across. Princes Street Gardens definitely feels like Edinburgh's Trafalgar Square (ie, the centre of the centre) but the place didnt feel small to me at all.

I suppose I can understand that, tbh. When I think of the city the way I see it as is Princes Street to Haymarket to the west, south to the Royal Mile area, Not very much north of Princes Street, and then not too much farther east maybe just up until Easter Road. But when I go somewhere like Gorgie to watch Hearts play, I sort of don't consider myself in the city anymore. I think I might just have a really weird perception of it haha.

Reading this thread makes me realise what a shithole Birmingham is.

It really isn't mate. I say that as somebody who has spent time in Banbury today.

Birmingham isn't shit. It's the everyday grind that you're thinking about.

I bet all the cities in the world are great for a few days.

Living in the 'Bul for almost 3 years and I could safely say it's a shit-hole most of the time. It has it's good points though.

Reading this thread makes me realise what a shithole Birmingham is.

Is it a case of when you live somewhere / frequent it a lot you just kinda become immune to its charms

When I used to visit Budapest regularly it was the most amazing city ,when I lived there after a while the basilica and parliament buildings just sort if blend in and you pay them little notice.. Instead you start to notice the graffiti and homeless people....

I've been back in the UK over 10 years now and Budapest has got it's mojo back when I visit it

Brilliant thread! Loved reading everyones ideas, definitely added a few new places to my list, so thanks fot that!

For me, its impossible to name an overall favourite, as you go to different cities for different things, but, here is my list...

City by the Sea - Cape Town / Melbourne.

City for Culture - Kiev. An amazing place. (But I really liked Vilnius in Lithuania too).

City for Mischief - Krakow.

If I were to plump for an overall favourite, I would probably say Belgrade. I couldnt even pinpoint as to why, its just a mesmeric place. Full of history, angst, adventure and an incredible nightlife. Always had a good exeperience with local people too which makes a huge difference. Sarajevo is also very high up on the list, for the exact same reasons.

Â