Favourite city?

Xela

I went twice this year may and September to Barcelona, the Sagrada looks like a big melted candle from a distance, when you get closer and see the carvings in the stone its awesome, especially when the first stone was laid over 120 years ago and it still isn't finished, we went up one of the tower's and crossed a bridge to another tower, even half way up the view over the city is epic, an ambition of mine is to go back when its finished (est 2027)

I find it sad that the modern part that they're currently building isn't a patch on the stuff that was done originally. Have we really gone backwards in ability. Or just that they couldn't be arsed.

This thread has reminded me how much I need to get off my arse and go travel.

yeah me to , I've not been anywhere for over a month now :)

I was aiming on 10 new countries a year but as I did my main trip in the states this year I'm behind schedule , only 6 this year so far :(

I find it sad that the modern part that they're currently building isn't a patch on the stuff that was done originally. Have we really gone backwards in ability. Or just that they couldn't be arsed.

It's actually cus the old stone was hand carved in place, where the new stones are laser cut off site.

No votes for New York City yet? Hmm.

By the way, Singapore is way too hot (and clean) to be considered, in my opinion.

New York is number 2 for me.. it's an amazing place, but HK pips it in my experience. I do want to go back to NYC though.

My top 5:

1) Hong Kong

2) New York

3) Bangkok

4) Paris

5) Rome

I do like Tallinn as well... beautiful little city.

Off to Copenhagen in a couple of weeks, looking forward to that.

I was aiming on 10 new countries a year but as I did my main trip in the states this year I'm behind schedule , only 6 this year so far :(

6 is still impressive... i'll only hit 2 new countries this year. One of them is Spain! Ridiculous that I've never been yet! Off to Malaga next Friday :)

Have we really gone backwards in ability. Or just that they couldn't be arsed.

no its just different needs for different times, something tells me Gaudi didnt neednt to worry about planning permission or BREEAM standards or how much heat is lost through his buildings...

functionality has taken over and as a reult glass is favoured for big buildings, but i actually prefer it, i love gaudis buildings but id rather have stuff like the khalifa, CCTV headquarters, cyberculture egg, i tempted to even say selfridges in brum...

yeah me to , I've not been anywhere for over a month now :)

I'm not sure I've been to 10 new countries in my whole life

Edit: In fact I know I haven't. Including the UK as one country, my grand total is exactly 10

Determined to put that right though. Want to go back to the states next year (New York hopefully) but after that I'll be adding to my European tally

for me Madrid is a brilliant city and has nearly everything except a beach and also not that pricey. People are wonderful as well.

vastly underrated especially compared to Barcelona which I didnt personally think was better.

Thought you'd have started a which airport is the best to sleep in thread by now :-)

So far I've only slept at BHX, Brussels South and the airport of Sofia as far as I can remember :P could be I've forgotten a few though :)

EDIT: Oh yes, I forgot Düsseldorf

I've not been to that many cities around the globe. Faves outside the UK would have to include Paris, went there for my honeymoon, been back since and out about is nice too, going back next summer. Lot's of iconic stuff in walking distance, food not as expensive a block or two back from the main drag, great for people watching.

I'd have to give a shout for Valletta in Malta. It won't be to everyone's taste, it's tiny, but I worked there for a short while and stayed at one of the best hotels ever, The Phoenicia. Technically it's outside Valletta but only by the width of a bus station. Valletta also has the best restaurant in the world, Rubino's. Got myself on the Valletta team bus when they won the league and that was a mad mad night.

Oh, and Mombassa is a hell of an experience too if you like it a bit raw.

UK cities have to be London, Brum and Cardiff all for reasons of personal bias.

Â