• Westwood
    • Bannan
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Weimann
    • El Ahmadi (for Ireland 79)
    • Holman (for Weimann 80)
    • Delph (for Bannan 87)

If we had played like that against pretty much any other team in the league we would've got something out of that.

We've been doing this kind of shit for decades under tons of different managers. You can't use this as a stick to beat Lambert witch. Ridiculous.

Keep on having a pop mate. By the way Lambert is certainly no witch or we might have won.

Why take Weimann off, he was causing them fits all day...that sent a message to United that we were not going to try and win it, when we clearly could have.

He was pretty much dead on his feet when he came off and Holman got himself in the United box on more than one occasion when he came on. United didn't need a message from us, they believe in themselves that they'll get the late goal and that's a lot of the reason why they usually do.

Although we played well I think we gave them too much space all game. We needed to concentrate much more on following runners and sticking closer to them. Stevens was really guilty of this, you can see there might be a decent player in there but he just needs to learn to read the game a bit better at this level. Similar for Lowton, too, really.

Benteke was a complete beast, easily MOTM.

All in all, a good performance which showed signs of a decent young team beginning to gel.

Compared to the sterile performance last season where we never had a go, I'll take this kind of performance all day long. Young players will be disappointed tonight but will take great confidence from the performance.

Although we lost, this could be a turning point for Lambert and this team.

Yeah, we would've won easily without Lambert. Like last seaso-

Oh wait, we didn't even try last season against United.

Vicious circle yet again. We lost and we're still in the bottom four. Mcleish as bad as he was didn't preside over our worst start in the Premiership ever. You don't get points for performances you get points for results and Lambert is struggling to get them but I await your next excuse with keen interest. Ah, we're only how many games into the season yet we're still counting and counting.....

Vicious circle yet again. We lost and we're still in the bottom four. Mcleish as bad as he was didn't preside over our worst start in the Premiership ever. You don't get points for performances you get points for results and Lambert is struggling to get them but I await your next excuse with keen interest. Ah, we're only how many games into the season yet we're still counting and counting.....

McLeish did preside over our worst ever Premier League season though. Instead of moaning about Lambert presiding over our worst start how about giving Lambert a chance?

Performances are still important. Last season against Man United we rolled over didn't even try and win. That was pretty much the story of the season. If we play like we played tonight in even half of our remaining games we'll be fine.

Loads to be encouraged by tonight - the front three are a nice blend and they'll trouble anyone - Benteke looks like a real football player, I can't remember how much we paid for him, but I think most of us would be talking a pretty big number if we discussed how much we'd want for him.

The midfield three is promising too - they're none of them perfect and we lack a bit of power in there, but they link well and seem to enjoy playing together - Ireland found masses of space in the first half getting forward which was great to see and Westwood might just be a player.

At the back we're less solid I think, Vlaar is good enough, Lowton looks very decent to me, Clark still has a little way to go but has a chance and then at left back we're a lot less sure.

Stevens did as well as could be hoped, but he was the weakest link for us, and once United figured that out, they played on it - Valencia must have had him faced up in the second half thirty or forty times and he got a ball in on almost every occasion. If he'd been capable of getting closer to him then we might have held on - which isn't to have a go at the player, he gave it everything he's got, it just isn't enough. Bennett gives me no great confidence and Lichaj is limited and out of position at left back - we have a lot of work to do there.

They did what they do and whilst it's always disappointing, it's hard not to be encouraged by what we showed - if Weimann had put away his hat trick chance then I think we could have taken it and it was good to see just how much we kept going forwards even when they were turning the screw.

Substitutions were all okay with me and the shape was right, so the manager gets a thumbs up.

We looked nothing like a team that's going down and in Benteke, Agbonlahor and Weimann we have the weapons to get ourselves safe.

Onwards and upwards.

So disappointed. At 2-2 we really really shouldve held on for the point. Pleased with the lads performance, and impressed with Stephens, mostly, he coped with the threat down the wing well, and got a decent cross when given the chance first half.

Performances like that against reading and qpr, and we'll do alright.

Disgusting behaviour from the United fans after the game. A lot of spitting towards villa fans over by their coaches. Very rarely see even shouting going on down there after the game, let alone that.

There are some odd people on here aren't there ? The last 17 years at home have got nothing whatsoever to do with today. Our last 10 games in the League have got nothing to do with today. Why is losing to the best side in the country seen by anybody as a bad thing ? What on earth are people on about when they say perfromances don't matter ? Are they watching football for the first ever time ? Why is it people are so upset because we 'could've won it?' -they would - as we see so often - be nowhere near as upset if we had come from 3-0 down and Weimanns header been the only reason we failed to draw.

If we have fans that can't take a bucket loads of positives out of that match (good passing, cool heads, good perfromances from some very young players, a clear good team ethic, good tactics, powerful front play being just some) I feel sorry for them. Honestly I can't understand what it must be like to go through life being so easily disheartened.

I thought we did well, will do better, and, yet again, I enjoyed watching us.

• Like 3

Disgusting behaviour from the United fans after the game. A lot of spitting towards villa fans over by their coaches. Very rarely see even shouting going on down there after the game, let alone that.

I wasn't at the game so can I just ask, did those plastic word removeds jump over the boards onto the pitch like they always do when they score at VP?

You don't get points for performances you get points for results

Performances get results that get points? I fail to see how a good performance against man u with a team averaging 23 - considering the turmoil of the last few years - and how things are definitely looking like they are coming together and improving under Paul Lambert is a bad thing.

Villa created many chances today. We are a completely different team to last year. Last year was a nightmare, there is a lot to take as positive at the moment.

Oh, something I forgot.

Can anyone who was there comment if anything happened during the Petrov applause?

Seemed to be a chorus of boos once the applause stopped and then a chant of "no respect my lord"

Â