Chris Nicholl 1977 - Pick that one out

smetrov

Definatlly Chris nicholl, he said summert like "it means everything, cus me dad was a fan and I remember phoning him to say dad, I've signed for aston villa", its on YouTube, a great pick me up when you wonder why you support villa.

Definatlly Chris nicholl, he said summert like "it means everything, cus me dad was a fan and I remember phoning him to say dad, I've signed for aston villa", its on YouTube, a great pick me up when you wonder why you support villa.

I stand corrected. As he is Irish I just didn't think his Dad would be a villa fan.

I was to young to go to that Match - but was a nervous wreck - I listened on the radio at my mates house - I can't quite remember why but I eneded up watching the highlights on sportsnight - knowing it got to 2-2 - but not knowing the final score - with 2 minutes to go the ball bobbled to Brian little 3-2 !!! me, mom and dad dancing round the living room...... marvelous times

Great memories. I did all 3 finals and Chris hit that shot just in front of where we were standing. Superb game as was the semi-final replay against QPR when Brian Little hit a hat-trick to get us to that final.

By the way, I will never forget the first game at Wembley when our coach pulled alongside the Everton team coach on the way out of London after the game and their coach was "mooned" by one and all for a full couple of minutes as we waited together in a traffic jam. Gordon Lee was up on his feet pointing and laughing and the Everton team were falling about. What a great craic it was!

• Haha 1

Great memories. I did all 3 finals and Chris hit that shot just in front of where we were standing. Superb game as was the semi-final replay against QPR when Brian Little hit a hat-trick to get us to that final.

By the way, I will never forget the first game at Wembley when our coach pulled alongside the Everton team coach on the way out of London after the game and their coach was "mooned" by one and all for a full couple of minutes as we waited together in a traffic jam. Gordon Lee was up on his feet pointing and laughing and the Everton team were falling about. What a great craic it was!

I take you were at the 2-2 semi final 2nd leg at villa park. ? - What an atmosphere that was - still one of the greatest games Ive ever been to....

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Still one of my favourite Villa goals of all time.

Such an unlikely hero to score in this manner. For him to pick the ball up so far out, go past one of their players and slam it in from 30 yards. Almost unbelievable! Especially in a League Cup final!

A regular scorer with his head but never from outside the box. Happy Days.😀

• Like 1

On 09/11/2012 at 08:17, smetrov said:

I take you were at the 2-2 semi final 2nd leg at villa park. ? - What an atmosphere that was - still one of the greatest games Ive ever been to....

One of the great night games under those wonderful Villa Park floodlights. 

18 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Yes. A 2 - 2 draw away to Leicester at the old Filbert Street ground. I remember listening on the local radio to the game. The good old, Tony Butler, days. 

I was lucky enough to be at the game. My mate worked at BBC Radio Leicester and we got to see him after the match. Chris was a smashing bloke, very mild mannered unless you were up against him on the pitch where was an old fashioned stopper. He got two of his 11 goals for Villa in this one match, I must confess I thought he had more!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lochheads twin said:

I was lucky enough to be at the game. My mate worked at BBC Radio Leicester and we got to see him after the match. Chris was a smashing bloke, very mild mannered unless you were up against him on the pitch where was an old fashioned stopper. He got two of his 11 goals for Villa in this one match, I must confess I thought he had more!

He was very dominant in the air. That cup goal as to be in the all time top ten of Aston Villa goals. That's some achievement for a centre- half. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

The good old days. Never really understood why Ron got rid of him. 

There's a touch of irony to that. He was replaced by big Ken, who was Everton's Everton's centre- half that night at Old Trafford. Ron Saunders certainly seen something he liked, and when you realise what an important player he became for us, Ron's judgement was spot on. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

There's a touch of irony to that. He was replaced by big Ken, who was Everton's Everton's centre- half that night at Old Trafford. Ron Saunders certainly seen something he liked, and when you realise what an important player he became for us, Ron's judgement was spot on. 

Don't think any of the fans understood it at the time but Ron was right

• Like 1

Â