Sir Alex Ferguson

The_Rev

think with Fergie is he goes OTT a lot and can be nasty and vindictive but he rarely gets personal with it (except to the referees) e.g Wenger or mark hughes who refuse to shake hands.

id bet majority of fans of any club in England even Liverpool would kill for him to be in charge of them

I always recall being sat behind Fergies bunker at Old Trafford for the villa game about 5 years ago. Things werent going well for Utd. He simply got up off his seat walked down to his technical area and stood there just glaring at his players. He never said a word. But the effect was instant and amazing, the Utd players shat their pants and upped their game instantly.

Brilliant manager .

At least 10 league champions, 2 European cups and countless league and FA cups etc

We won't ever see his kind again.

25 years in charge of Utd , whilst I hate them there has to be a level of respect and admiration of the man.

People inevitably compare them but it comes down to personal choice. I'd much rather have Taggart in charge because I prefer stability, his approach to football and player development.

Some would prefer Mourinho, as he is undoubtedly very talented, but he is a totally different type of manager.

Mourinho is just a flashier more talented, successful version of MON. wins your teams trophies then **** off and your team is a mess. Chelsea and Inter still bear his ghost.

great manager but your club will pay when he leaves

Edited by Zatman

Mourinho is just a flashier more talented, successful version of MON. wins your teams trophies then **** off and your team is a mess. Chelsea and Inter still bear his ghost.

Agreed with some of that, Like MON, Mourinho likes older experienced players. But tactically you can't even compare them.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

think with Fergie is he goes OTT a lot and can be nasty and vindictive but he rarely gets personal with it (except to the referees) e.g Wenger or mark hughes who refuse to shake hands.

Sorry but that simply is totally inaccurate.

For instance Ferguson got a touchline ban in 2008 for accusing Martin Atkinson of being bias. The ban was for 5 games, 3 for this incident and 2 were a suspended ban from a pervious incident that were added to the new bad because he had offended again.

Ferguson has a long history of this sort of thing and it has enabled him to ensure that certain refs rarely get Man United games.

Other managers might not shake hands buy few get even remotely close to being the same sort of bully that Ferguson is and has been for 20 years.

I think that is utter tosh to be honest.

Jose is on a different level in terms of tactics to O'Neill, they aren't anywhere near to being the same.

As for leaving clubs in a mess, he didn't leave Chelsea in a mess far from it. The mess came with the revolving door for managers that followed him.

I recall an anecdote Dave Jones gave about Ferguson. He said that shortly after the child abuse allegations came out, Southampton were at Old Trafford and Ferguson came up to Jones before kick-off and told him he wanted to walk out of the tunnel and onto the pitch together with him, in a show of support. Southampton managed to get a 3-3 draw with a late equaliser from Le Tissier, and Jones said when he went up to a stoney-faced Ferguson after the whiste blew, he told Jones that he can "**** off if he think's he's walking back down the tunnel with him".

This seems like the best thread to post my stat in, but according to ESPN Manchester United are the only club from the major European leagues who didnt receive a red card in any competition in 2012.

id bet majority of fans of any club in England even Liverpool would kill for him to be in charge of them

Sorry but that simply is totally inaccurate.

For instance Ferguson got a touchline ban in 2008 for accusing Martin Atkinson of being bias. The ban was for 5 games, 3 for this incident and 2 were a suspended ban from a pervious incident that were added to the new bad because he had offended again.

Ferguson has a long history of this sort of thing and it has enabled him to ensure that certain refs rarely get Man United games.

Other managers might not shake hands buy few get even remotely close to being the same sort of bully that Ferguson is and has been for 20 years.

Zatman said he does get personal with referees.

On top of everything else you have to take into account that he does'ent spend shitloads of $$$ and 95% of his signings turn out ok.The only really bad signing that he made was that Italian goalkeeper a few years ago.

I'd say splurging the best part of £37m on Verón then selling him to Chelsea for almost half that two uneventful seasons later probably ranks a bit higher on the transfer-mishap scale than the 4 or so games they endured Massimo Taibi for.

Edited by GarethRDR

On top of everything else you have to take into account that he does'ent spend shitloads of $$$ and 95% of his signings turn out ok.The only really bad signing that he made was that Italian goalkeeper a few years ago.

What the actual ****? I know you Australians like a drink, but blimey there is so much wrong in that post that light actually bends around it! :blink:

United spent £50m this summer. They spent £50m last summer. They spent £7.5m on Bebe, they spent nearly £20m on Anderson. Both disasters. They spent £32m on Berbatov and left him on the bench for a year before selling him for £4m. Fergie didnt rate Berbatov to the point where he couldnt even find a spot for him amongst the seven substitutes in a Champions League final. Veron has already been mentioned, but what about Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Forlan, Tosic and Obertan? I think the jury is still out on £10m defender Chris Smalling too.

United spend loads on transfer fees and even more on wages. They sign plenty of duds, often for big money. The thing is that they are so rich if a player doesn't make the grade then they just buy someone else and move on. Very rarely do they leave a dud in the first team for an extended period of time because unlike most other clubs, they can afford not to.

Edited by The_Rev

Â