Elite: Dangerous

hogso

This is the one I've been looking at

61bLKZPpBzL._SL1181_.jpg

Did you get one of these Hogso?

I'm gonna pick one up at the weekend as it seems the 'go to' piece of kit.

I did not! Unfortunately I haven't really had much chance to dump very much time in to the beta, so don't think it would be worth it just yet. Although playing with a mouse & keyboard really frustrates me.

I went and picked one up earlier today and I have to say, if anyone is already playing or will be playing the game at some point in the future, then it makes it a 100% better experience.

Took about 2 minutes to set up and there's already a profile for it within the game so you're set to go straight away. Haven't bothered tweaking anything (even though it's completely customisable) as the default settings are very good anyway.

Also had my first taste of combat after being chased by 3 pirates for my cargo tonight. Ended up taking one out and escaping from the other 2 with a few moves and some luck. Absolute breathless stuff   :D

Oh, and this game has some of the best sound design i've ever heard in a game - totally imerses you.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

This is the one I've been looking at

61bLKZPpBzL._SL1181_.jpg

Did you get one of these Hogso?

I'm gonna pick one up at the weekend as it seems the 'go to' piece of kit.

I did not! Unfortunately I haven't really had much chance to dump very much time in to the beta, so don't think it would be worth it just yet. Although playing with a mouse & keyboard really frustrates me.

I went and picked one up earlier today and I have to say, if anyone is already playing or will be playing the game at some point in the future, then it makes it a 100% better experience.

Took about 2 minutes to set up and there's already a profile for it within the game so you're set to go straight away. Haven't bothered tweaking anything (even though it's completely customisable) as the default settings are very good anyway.

Also had my first taste of combat after being chased by 3 pirates for my cargo tonight. Ended up taking one out and escaping from the other 2 with a few moves and some luck. Absolute breathless stuff   :D

Oh, and this game has some of the best sound design i've ever heard in a game - totally imerses you.

'Thrustmaster' the

name alone is enough to make me want one :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed so far.

I know it's only a beta - or maybe it's my setup, but it shouldn't be as I have a quadcore i7 and plenty of RAM - but even with the graphics settings set right down to low across the board, I still have framerate issues when things start to get a bit hairy.

It's fun though when it does work. Bloody hard though. I tried the one mission where you had a dogfight with just the one guy and it was more like jousting than anything else. Then when he went past me, I just could never turn around to chase him, I'd always lose him.

Anyone else having framerate issues or got any advice?

Never had a single problem with framerate - it runs smooth as butter even when i'm in a dogfight with a few ships.

Regarding combat - turn off the flight assist, hit the blue zone in the throttle for most manouverability and make sure you make good use of power diversion, if you have them on the run switch everything to weps - if they have you on the run, switch to system.

Ugh, that's a shame and not what I wanted to hear at all.

I have an Asus N55SL which is supposed to be a pretty decent gaming laptop. It has an Intel i7 quadcore processor like I mentioned above, plenty of RAM and comes with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 2GB Graphics Card so it should run just fine, but even with that dogfight with just the one ship it would stutter.

I didn't have anything else running, graphics set down to the bare minimum as far as I could see. The laptop had been on a while and does run very hot which is annoying, but I had it elevated so the bottom fans weren't smothered. I don't know what it could be really. I suppose I could check the graphics card drivers to make sure they're up to date.

I'm not really much of a computer whiz and I always manage to own computers that never tend to work like they're supposed to :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm finally back in the saddle again after a brief pause for building a new computer. Almost back in the Hauler again, and I'm gunning for a Cobra after that. This feels like a game I will keep coming back to for years to come.

• 5 weeks later...

Voyager 2 found in Elite Dangerous

The designers of Elite: Dangerous went to great lengths to ensure the game’s portrayal of space travel is as authentic as possible. That includes adding the location of where the Voyager 2 would be in the game’s timeline.

Elite: Dangerous’ latest patch notes contained a hidden “secret”. That secret was revealed today by Redditor Goldenvale.

The secret is the Voyager 2. Elite: Dangerous has a replica of the Milky Way, and the game itself takes place in 3300 AD. So one talented tehcnical artist on the team decided to add the Voyager 2 probe to the game. Not only that, but it’s located where it should be with respect to the game’s timeline. That’s 2.1 million seconds away from Sol.

So good :) 

Just cannot wait for next week now :thumb:

I have just discovered a terrible fact.

You need decent joystick/thrust combo.

There is literally NOTHING acceptable for the left handed user. That is shocking.

Saitek Cyborg looks like the best option, but no half decent thrust to go with it. Dammit, I really wanted to use the X52 with this game

Â