Elite: Dangerous

hogso

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 23:11, V01 said:

Learning curve is a literal cliff face, but if you can get past that you'll love it. 

Pretty much. I'd watch a few videos on how to 'survive' in the game because you could spend 50 hours getting nowhere.

Loved the game a couple of years ago but once I'd 'made it' to where I wanted to be I found my interest dwindling slowly.

Honestly, it's a game that does require investment of time, yeah. I'd say it's about as far from a 'pick up and play' type game as possible. 

I'm a bit torn about it on PS4. I played a lot of it on PC and can't really imagine playing it on a pad. But I don't have my gaming PC anymore, and would like to see this on my big screen...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hogso said:

I played a lot of it on PC and can't really imagine playing it on a pad.

Yeah, i'll be using the Thrustmaster Hotas (ooer) to play with. I'd imagine they've refined the controls for pads so that they're easily usable, but it wouldn't be Elite without a joystick in my hand :D

Edited by Designer1

6 hours ago, hogso said:

Honestly, it's a game that does require investment of time, yeah. I'd say it's about as far from a 'pick up and play' type game as possible. 

I'm a bit torn about it on PS4. I played a lot of it on PC and can't really imagine playing it on a pad. But I don't have my gaming PC anymore, and would like to see this on my big screen...

I'll leave it for now. Still got P5, FF15 and many others to get through.

On 6/23/2017 at 23:11, V01 said:

Learning curve is a literal cliff face, 

You are not wrong! I'm impressed with how little handholding there is so far but literally have no clue about 90% of the things wizzing past my hud. It will be fun to figure all this out.

Managed to master docking which I guess is the first baby step. I've even managed to beat the advanced combat training mission. I've still got to rebind a few keys.

My rookie mistakes so far:

-Accepting a mission which I could not reach with my limited jump range

-supercruising into an asteroid field in a planet ring

-panicking when taking off (usually mixing up my throttle and thrusters), forgetting all the controls and spinning wildly within the station.

-Accepting a mission with only 2 jumps. Loading the cargo for the mission then finding out I now need 13 jumps because my weight has increased.

Edited by RunRickyRun
  • Like 1

ED has so much potential - the developers have spoken about where they want to take the game for years now but it's never quite come together. Planetary landing took well over a year before it saw a release, and a lot of the features they talk about bringing into the game sound really good, but nothing big has changed since I first played it two years ago. Disappointing because the base is there for something really special

• 2 weeks later...

Traded Star Trek Bridge Crew for this at Game (30% added to trade value today). Looking forward to sinking plenty of time into this. For those who said its a steep learning curve, you're not wrong!

Edited by dubbs

Also bought it.

The advanced combat training is brutal lol.

Got a few fines for deploying weapons when near stations accidently, a speeding fine and a loitering fine...

I'm finding it a bit difficult knowing what to do.  All of the missions on Cleve spaceport are locked off from me.

Looking at the galaxy map just in awe.. hoping to find earth sometime, voyager 2 and reach the edge of the galaxy.  Just need some dollars though.

Where would one buy a mining laser? :)  

I played for about 2 hours last night, overshooting every destination I attempted to get to LOL.

3 hours ago, hogso said:

Did the guys who bought it on PS4 also buy the Horizons expansion? If you didn't, you should.

I didn't, thought I'd see how i get on with the initial game before spending another 15 quid on something i wasnt sure of.

The 5 hour downtime today has been **** annoying, could have played a few hours, but nooooooo.  Not even offline mode just to practice fighting or parking. 

5 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm finding it a bit difficult knowing what to do.  All of the missions on Cleve spaceport are locked off from me.

When I first played a few years ago (PC) I spent quite a few of the initial hours checking out the marketplace prices and shifting a few items between planets for a little bit of profit. If you can combine this with a couple of the easier shipping / transport missions then all the better.

This got me used to controlling the ship and moving from planet to planet without getting me into too much trouble (although I still got into some scrapes with pirates) - and because there is so much freedom, and so very little hand holding, the game really is at it's absolute best when you just mooch about doing a few bits and pieces and learning the ropes.

There's plenty of time to turn yourself into a hard core bounty hunter later on :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

When I first played a few years ago (PC) I spent quite a few of the initial hours checking out the marketplace prices and shifting a few items between planets for a little bit of profit. If you can combine this with a couple of the easier shipping / transport missions then all the better.

This got me used to controlling the ship and moving from planet to planet without getting me into too much trouble (although I still got into some scrapes with pirates) - and because there is so much freedom, and so very little hand holding, the game really is at it's absolute best when you just mooch about doing a few bits and pieces and learning the ropes.

There's plenty of time to turn yourself into a hard core bounty hunter later on :)

Yea you're right.

I actually had 45 mins today when the servers got back up. In that time I plotted a little route, not too far from my spaceport, got there without overshooting, helped 2 federation ships defeat 2 wanted space baddies and the one gave me a 99k bounty!  Then I whizzed back to the spaceport and landed the best I've docked so far.

Was a great little story, given the time.

Only problem was I couldn't find out how to claim the credits, so will hopefully not have disappeared when I next go on and then I'll look at upgrading my ship! 

• Like 1

S##t! Didn't realise you had to claim credits, thought they were just paid.  Oh and I got the physical copy which came with horizons.  I contemplated just the base game but thought it might have as little content as No Mans Sky. 

Â