Elite: Dangerous

hogso

Did any of you guys pledge? They've been sending out bi-weekly updates via the email newsletter. It's shaping up real nice.

• 9 months later...

The 'Premium Beta' opens on May 30th, and the game is looking pretty fantastic. If you havent been keeping up with things, you could do worse that watching this to whet your appetite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK0U9L086yU

Even if you disregard how big the full game will be - look at the **** detail!

• Like 2

What I love about it so far is that it's still retained the original game at it's core.

Elite remains my favourite game of all time and I can see me losing days to this.

• Like 1

Looks really interesting. 

I'm not familiar with the Elite series.

Is there some kind of story/plot for the game? Or is it more about exploration?

I tend to get bored with exploring/side missions in games if there isn't some overall narrative driving me on.

Yep, pretty steep! I've in the next round, 'standard beta', which was included with my £90 pledge - which gives me, amongst other things, the premium boxed version including star map. Wibble.

I tend to get bored with exploring/side missions in games if there isn't some overall narrative driving me on.

I'm pretty certain there won't be any sort of 'campaign' at all. IIRC there will be a single player mode where other ships are controlled by AI, bit in essence - nuh uh. This is a game you very much write your own narrative in.

I've been waiting for a game like this for a few years now. I haven't played any of the past Elite games but I had X-wing vs. TIE Fighter on my computer when I was a kid and I absolutely loved it. This looks absolutely fantastic, I simply must have it.

There's another similar game in development called Star Citizen by Chris Roberts of Wing Commander fame. I haven't looked into it too much but it looks like it has a more dedicated campaign mode where you're in the military. As much as I love a good narrative in a game, I think I prefer the sound of ED at the moment.

Edited by Ginko

I just realised that this is being made by Frontier. One of my best friends from university works as a 3D animator for them, going to see if I can get any freebies ;)

It was an open ended space trading, fighting, mining, bounty hunting game that was somehow crammed into 32k on the BBC version. It was an expensive game at the time, there was a novella included in the 8 bit versions with a bit of a story. A young guy picked up in space after the ship he was travelling on is destroyed, then tries to make a reputation and a fortune for himself.

The game was complex and could be played a number of ways, though your rating was purely based on kills. The top rating being Elite, hence the name of the game. Occasional missions would also pop up, providing a bit of a story arc or perhaps a cool bit of kit not in the upgrade shop.

Elite successfully made the leap to 16 bit - More missions and the wire frames became solid. Then a really ambitious sequel, which didn't get much love.

Eve and Oolite have sort of filled the gap in between then and now, but I think secretly many 30 and 40 somethings have thought that Elite had unfinished business.

Here it is, looking like the game you imagined it could be one day.

• Like 2

I'm a little confused - it mentions single player combat, but I'd always understood it was going to be a mmo?

You can play as a single player with AI controlling other ships, I believe

Edited by hogso

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a nice vid from the latest version of Alpha. Guy sells up, and buys a big, lumbering, unarmed cargo ship to give trading a go.

http://youtu.be/RE7rb_Glq0g

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been messing around on the single player combat build today, it's been released for everyone who joins the beta at the end of the month so, uh, you know how to fly. It runs like a dream. It is ridiculously smooth. The cockpit is as marvelous as all videos I've seen have led me to believe. Controls are, well, they're complex. But would you expect anything else, really? I really need to get a joystick for the full release.

2q9mniv.jpg ... Is this the new this... 1076gt2.jpg?

Do you know your joysticks? It's very much virgin territory for me, I had a quick look last night, looks like I might go for one which a throttle too...

Not the foggiest these days :)

Which joystick was best was mostly an 8 bit problem.

Then they shifted into the realms of geekdom with flimsy, expensive analogue sticks.

Mostly people that liked to fly 747s in real time between obscure airports, or rich kids getting kitted out for X-Wing/Tie-Fighter/Wing Commander bought them.

My preference for Elite was one with suckers on the base like the Quickshot II Turbo above.

You needed a free hand for the keyboard, especially when missiles started flying about.

Â