Elite: Dangerous

hogso

o7 cmdrs

I'm really enjoying the game. The controller implementation is sublime and noticing a nice progression where you get better every play session and open up more activities to do. I'm yet to go on an exploration trip, trade, smuggle or mine but I'm comfortable leaving that until later.

There are a few notable issues. The mission structure is a bit flawed. It's better to grind missions in one or two systems in order to gain rep to unlock better missions which goes against the grain of the open world nature of the game. Hopping from system to system leads to offerings of meagre payouts and activities. Even when you do rank up in a system, you often find yourself at the mercy of RNJesus, quitting out and loading back in to get a decent mission.

I've also found the factions to be a bit sterile and passive. I recently did well in the community goal slaughtering hundreds from a group called the Purple People Crew. What surprised me was that they never sent anyone after me, left me alone whenever I encountered them and even continued to offer me missions when I docked. My early impressions are that a permanent karma system of some sort would benefit the game's narrative, where your actions within the game have consequences and would lead to incidents within the game. When I get a bit more time, I'll check out powerplay to see if that's where I'll find this.

Saying that, I've been waiting a long time for a great space game and I've definitely found it in Elite. 

• Like 1

Claimed my bounties now. 125k! Now.. do I upgrade, or buy a new ship??

Ricky got it spot on. Every play through is better atm. You're more confident in flight controls, what's going on around you and what you can do. It's a quest for knowledge and practice that will keep me coming back. 

Looking forward to more!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Claimed my bounties now. 125k! Now.. do I upgrade, or buy a new ship??

Ricky got it spot on. Every play through is better atm. You're more confident in flight controls, what's going on around you and what you can do. It's a quest for knowledge and practice that will keep me coming back. 

Looking forward to more!

Upgrade the fsd (jump drive) in the sidey so you can do more missions.

I'd save until you get a million from missions/bounties then either get a Viper mk 3 if you like combat or the cobra mk 3 for anything else.

There should be a new community goal on Thursday. Grinding the bounties over a week can net you around 20 million which can be used to buy and upgrade your first good ship. I went for the Vulture.

• Like 1

Ok, so if it weren't for YT Videos telling me what to do and how to find stuff, I'd proper clucked. 

I had 3 hours to play today, and I tried mining... got my controls mixed up and boosted into the meteor I was about 10m (meters!) away from.. I died.

Then I thought, I did ok with bounties yesterday, I'll try that again.  Warped into a conflict zone with my barely upgraded sidewinder.. 1 shot.. I died.

Then I went to YouTube to find bounties. NAV BEACONS! so I warp to a couple of nav BEACONS in my system and nothing.. then I warp to another one, bingo.  Me and the federation fleet battering more or less anything that comes in.

I kill (or join in killing) about 5 ships, got just over 230k.  Much healthier bank balance, a knowledge of what to do and ill hopefully have a million or so next time I come on.

Frustrating, but wow it's cool.

• Like 2

Problem mitigated.  Went on the router, kicked the wife off the NW so she can't stream crap romcoms and told her the internet is down.  Freed up enough bandwidth to get the download time down to 60 mins

Tried my hand at piracy in an anarchy system in my Cobra mk 3. Only picked on low ranked ships while I got the hang of the hatchbreaker limpets .

Turned over a nice profit of 10k for 2 hours work:

bmIzJ.jpg

• Like 1

Played for a few hours tonight.  Struggling to find missions im allowed to take. Guess I'll have to take a different approach, maybe turn into a bounty hunter. 

I've been bounty hunting over 2 nights (about 3 hours?).

900k with a couple of deaths with 200k each time lost.

So potentially, that's 1.3m credits for 3/4 hours work. 

Just fly to nav beacon, sit a while while stuff spawns.. scan scan scan.

Kill the wanted fellows.

P.s. it REALLY helps if you are not the only bugger to shoot.  Let the space feds start the massacre, you join in when the targeted ships shields are down.  You still get all of the credits you would if you soloed it.

• Like 1

I can't even get through the advanced fighter pilot training mission at the moment.  I got shot down time after time until I gave up.  I'm a bit worried what will happen to me when I get out into the real universe.

I wouldn't worry too much about finishing all the tutorials.  They are there to give you the basics.  Best thing to do is jump in now you've done some of the tutorials. Starting out you've not much to lose even if you die. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Straggler said:

I can't even get through the advanced fighter pilot training mission at the moment.  I got shot down time after time until I gave up.  I'm a bit worried what will happen to me when I get out into the real universe.

I got battered in it and haven't had much trouble in the online game.

Just make sure you don't shoot people who are "in wing" unless you're in a better ship than a sidewinder, otherwise you'll he pummelled.

12 hours ago, Straggler said:

From what I've read most can't beat this one at first so no need to worry.

If you want to, you will need to set up a button for the chaff launcher (I use circle and have set boost to R3) put 4 pips into systems (triples your shield strength) and 2 into weapons and keep your throttle in the blue zone (max maneuverability). Fire only when you get a lock on, use missiles when shields are down and keep spamming the chaff to keep yourself out of trouble.

I Can't recommend the Asp Explorer enough - it's a great ship that opens up so much of the game.

I'm running a hybrid build so I can do a bit of everything (6 pulse lasers, 64T cargo, 6 capacity first class cabin, an advanced discovery scanner, a detailed planet scanner and an SRV for landings). The only thing I can't do is interdict pirates but I've done enough of that in my Vulture.

I went to pick up the community goal reward (400 ly away) arrived  and was excited when I saw a passenger mission to visit a black hole. Did the mission (i'll try and post a pic later) then flew back to the bubble forgetting to pick up my goal reward - d'oh.

Edited by RunRickyRun
  • Like 1

Decided to take a medium passenger mission of 1400ly to do some exploration. Spent a few hours putting my stamp on a few systems before finally reaching my goal.

Then I looked at the destination name - "Strong G" - A planet surrounded by 8 or 9 suns with a gravity of 9.61 times Earth. They weren't joking.

I quickly saved up and watched a few youtube videos on how to land on a high G planet. It was no help I couldn't control anything so decided to back out. Problem was that even with modded grade 5 thrusters (dirty drives are a lot of fun), I couldn't escape the gravitational field. Luckily I managed to quickly cycle to another system and barely frame shifted out of danger taking heat damage in the process. It's probably a broken mechanic that allows you to do this but it saved my bacon and a few million worth of exploration data.

Lesson learned. I will never ever try to land on a high G planet ever again.

Edited by RunRickyRun

I've been on this a few hours over the weekend.  Done a few missions.  Claimed a few bounties.  But there will always be a time when this game confuses the hell out of me.  One mission was to deliver cargo to a port.  Never did it cross my mind that a port could be on the planets surface! I thought if it was there it would show up on the system map but it didn't. 

Â