• Jim Nantz-Phil Simms
    • Joe Buck-Troy Aikman
    • Kenny Albert-Daryl Johnston
    • Greg Gumbel-Dan Dierdorf
    • Ian Eagle-Dan Fouts
    • Thom Brennaman-Brian Billick
    • Marv Albert-Rich Gannon
    • Dick Stockton-John Lynch

So, what's your call? For me, they have to have a certain degree of entertainment. Just rambling facts and stats gets tedious. Therefore Buck/Aikman and Nants/Simms goes out the window. I like Gruden but not so much Tirico. So it's either Michaels/Collinsworth or Nessler/Mayock, the latter two has grown on me.

Collinsworth is hilarious in his laid back way so I'm going with them!

Michael and Collinsworth by a distance.

I like Tirico and Gruden. Tirico is basically just play-by-play so he's fine and Gruden has real good insight and knowledge along with some humour. Otherwise I like Nantz and Simms (maybe a little homerism, there) and the worst I would have to say is the Buck/Aikman partnership. Buck is far too boring and Aikman is such a homer and often gets 'facts' wrong.

Ian (Eye-uhn) Eagle and Dan Fouts are a really good pairing, only downside is that they pretty much only work West Coast CBS games.

Brennaman/Billick is good also. Stockton's a little long in the tooth and Lynch is good, too.

Michaels, though, is the best play-by-play man by some distance.

• 6 years later...

I've never been able to differentiate in all my years watching to be honest .

They all sound like the same overly excited , generic American sports guy to be fair .

The only time I hear a voice and know instantly who it is , is Tony Romo. Everybody else is basically Scott Hanson from Redzone.

Image result for scott hanson

• 1 year later...

ESPN has their solution staring them right in the face with Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit. They were excellent in the Giants-Steelers game. Yet, they are going with (3 again :blink:) Steve Levy, Brian Griese and Louis Riddick, the latter who apparently can only comment on safety-plays.

How can it be so difficult? It's not like Chris and Kirk are nobodys in the football-world

Â