What was it like here when we were winning?

romavillan

seeing some of the normally doom and gloom merchants all of a sudden being very satisfied with a) young players that were written off and B) the manager after an against the odds (we were 3/1) victory away at the mackems has got me thinking....

i only joined here i think when there was speculation around MON's successor, or maybe in the january when there was some good itk info regarding an exciting signing which turned out to be bent. so basically all i've seen on this forum has been the bad times of the last couple of years.

what was it like when we were pushing for the top 4? consistently finishing 6th? were there still massively negative posters? or was it over the top the other way?

Well, you can always go back and have a look at the older threads...

But from what I remember, there were always MON haters, Randy haters, CI haters, smug word removeds and people with nothing to convey, even when we were successful.

Back then of course, we had the General's thread - somebody of high standing in the club (or so it seemed) that provided a 'vital' link to the fans from the inner sanctum of VP. Sadly, the morons took over and lambasted (not Lamberted) the General, hounding him out of Villa Talk and the rest is history.

We didn't have Wiz back then from what I recall - but there were a few Citezens infiltrating this board, and more than a few 'Noses In Disguise.'

And for the record - I do not hate CI, I think CI provides a very valuable contribution to the site. If nothing else, the avatar is sublime and worthy of meritous comment.

I remember most people as being fairly excited with how things were progressing in the MON seasons. There was frustration that we seemed to be one piece short of the complete package, the Darren Bent type striker, but the cup runs and wins away at Old Trafford and the Emirates were great.

However there were a few who complained that we were too one dimensional in our play and by MON's last season quite a number of people were getting frustrated that we had hit a glass ceiling and were calling for his head.

Of course he then went and we have been awful ever since so you can't win really.

Back then of course, we had the General's thread - somebody of high standing in the club (or so it seemed) that provided a 'vital' link to the fans from the inner sanctum of VP. Sadly, the morons took over and lambasted (not Lamberted) the General, hounding him out of Villa Talk and the rest is history.

Tell me - is General_Krulak on twitter the actual General. I don't think he is, but he seems to have a lot of followers. If it is the real general he sounds like a massive prick!

VillaTalk was pretty much the same then as it is now.

When we went on our run of away wins that took us up to third, there were plenty of posters moaning about our poor style of football. People protested about the performances of Heskey and Sidwell just as they do with Bent and Delph now.

Very little has changed.

Tell me - is General_Krulak on twitter the actual General. I don't think he is, but he seems to have a lot of followers. If it is the real general he sounds like a massive prick!

No it is a boggies fan who thinks he is being really clever.

It was exactly the same, only with higher expectations. Instead of 'we haven't won a game for 8 games' it was 'a draw at home to Fulham is a disaster!'.

The speculation was much better though, we were being linked with anyone and everyone. Huntelaar was mentioned, I think there was even chat about a loan move for Kaka. Difficult to have speculation now, seeing as our summer signings came pretty left of field.

No it is a boggies fan who thinks he is being really clever.

Thought it was a nose? Either way it's not at all funny.

As for the general, he started off by being an important link between the fans and board but as soon as McLeish was named manager it all turned a bit sour.

Basically it was, still is, and always will be represented by the curve below.

The people in the red areas shout the loudest at each other, and everyone in the middle is drowned out

curvek.png

• Like 1

what was it like when we were pushing for the top 4? consistently finishing 6th? were there still massively negative posters? or was it over the top the other way?

That period proved to me that some posters will find a way to be negative no matter how well the team might be performing. I honestly believe if we won the league some would complain that our team wasn't right for the Champions League.

O'Neill's tardy transfer dealings meant General Krulak bore the brunt every window.

seeing some of the normally doom and gloom merchants all of a sudden being very satisfied with a) young players that were written off and B) the manager after an against the odds (we were 3/1) victory away at the mackems has got me thinking....

i only joined here i think when there was speculation around MON's successor, or maybe in the january when there was some good itk info regarding an exciting signing which turned out to be bent. so basically all i've seen on this forum has been the bad times of the last couple of years.

Still the same shit going on back then as there is now and yes we were challenging for top 4 at the time yet the doom merchants still found something to bitch about.

The same fickle shit still goes on now. One minute were doomed and set for relegation, the new signings & manager are written off after 9 games. But yet after game 10 the manager was good and the signings were also deemed acceptable.

Just wait for a defeat in games 11 & 12 possibly and the manager and players will be pounced on again by the same fickle morons.

Stevo's diagram sums it up perfectly.

Â