November Optimism Gauge

maqroll

With my comment about the whole bottom half of the table could be relegation candidates. It just shows how close teams are on a points basis. Anything can happen.

We may be relegation candidates, but so is everyone else in the bottom half.

So what i'm saying is its waaaaaay too early to call it.

With my comment about the whole bottom half of the table could be relegation candidates. It just shows how close teams are on a points basis. Anything can happen.

We may be relegation candidates, but so is everyone else in the bottom half.

So what i'm saying is its waaaaaay too early to call it.

Depends what you mean by 'Call it' - we are 4th from bottom after 10 games, that's a quarter of a season. Of course if we strung back to back premier league wins together - we would significantly move up the table. However our inability to do that is why we are 4th bottom. Us winning 4 games on trot - is as likely as Everton, Newcastle loosing four on the trot.

The prem table is a meaningful yard stick - on the whole you finish the season approximately in the position where you have been most of the season. Sure there is the odd case of a team rising up the table - as there is the odd case of a team plumetting like a stone.

But I don't think you can not be concerned about our position because we still have a long way to go.

Not a SW fan then Rigo? Fair do's... But that is my big reason for being optimistic right now... the prospect of enjoying cinema again and having the great hole in the market filled... Even more merhcandise to spend on... :P

Morph - yeah, yeah, I know... a lot of people are bemoaning that Disney have taken over the reins on the SW franchise. If people can put the one-sided 'Darth Mickey' out of their minds for a second, other than an ageing Spielberg, there are no real safer hands than Disney for an epic creating franchise that Star Wars has become. They have a very good track record of making good, family friendly films. And though we want to see drama in Star Wars, it doesn't need to be blood, gore and bad language. I see enough of that working on the railway cheers. I think it will be great - and it is definitely great (after the storyline disasters of Episodes 1 and 2) that Lucas has finally handed over the franchise.

Back on topic - great to see Villa beat a fellow struggler (Sunderland) for once. If we can grind out a point at home to United, which is possible, I think (hope) we will have found our bit of a point scoring run that will stand us in good stead. Doubt we can win at Main Road (Etihad or whatever) for a second time in a calender year, but I think we could do a job on Arsenal. It's about time we played them when they were not in form...

midweek champion leagues games for our next three opponents may help us...

we've already won at maine road this season and I also see that they are playing real madrid the wednesday after our game...

arsenal have a champions league game against montpellier the wednesday before they play us and man u are playing braga tonight...

perhaps i'm an eternal optimist, but i just get a sense that we'll pull off a surprise in at least one of these games...

UTV

I've always been in the wrong place at the wrong time against United and Aresenal - so much so that I have never seen us beat United or Arsenal in the flesh... Only on TV...

I have seen some commendable draws though...

I often recall Zat Knight's late equaliser against the gunners a few seasons back when I think we came back from 2-0 down? Everyone has a famous five minutes and that goal is now legend.

I can recall us taking a one goal lead against United courtesy of Alpay Ozalan. And United equalising way past midnight to deny us a draw. Of course, the Albrighton match under Ged was quite nice for a while. A very unusual feeling of being two goals up against United and on the cusp of finally getting that elusive VP win. But we threw it away lol... Late on... At least they didn't have Ruud Van Nistlepiss to totally wreck the day, like he did in the FA Cup that time.

Yep, always in the wrong place at the wrong time when United and Arsenal come a cropper at Villa Park.

On balance, I think we are more than worthy of a point against either of them this term. We're dicey, but we're not totally crap.

CI - fair point. I will await the films with great interest though. Cinema really does need more SW films... and I have never been so addicted to a computer game than I am with Star Wars The Old Republic. Fine drama and helped me get through the tail end of the tenure of Eck last term.

midweek champion leagues games for our next three opponents may help us...

we've already won at maine road this season and I also see that they are playing real madrid the wednesday after our game...

arsenal have a champions league game against montpellier the wednesday before they play us and man u are playing braga tonight...

perhaps i'm an eternal optimist, but i just get a sense that we'll pull off a surprise in at least one of these games...

UTV

Very exciting reading.

I hope this theory can play it's part someway or another for us which would be a nice little added help at the moment no doubt about it.

Â