• Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Weimann
    • Lichaj (for Bennett 11)
    • Stevenes (for Lichaj 71)
    • Holman (for Weimann 85)

Cuellar the c*+t

What the **** CI?

Cuellar is a great guy, interacts with fans and plays with his heart on his sleeve.

Just because he's occasionally a clumsy player on the pitch. (you'd know that from his time with us) that doesn't make him a word removed.

Shameful from yourself IMO.

We look good with Weimann in the side. Benteke seems to be enjoying himself now and so does Gabby, hopefully they keep their form going.

Westwood seems to possess some real intelligence, hope he keeps improving with more and more experience.

I thought Lowton had a good game today, seemed to be involved all over the pitch.

I liked the formation today, an Optimus Prime 4-5-1 that turned in to a 4-1-4-1, 4-3-3, 4-3-2-1, 4-3-1-2, 4-2-3-1 and 4-2-4.

My delight in winning is only matched by my delight in MON losing. It's so easy to forget how much of a clearing in the woods he is. Sunderland fans really don't seem keen on him and their moanings are IDENTICAL to what we used to moan about (e.g. playing players out of position for no obvious reason, ridiculous and predictable substitutions, over-paying for average players etc). I remember Celtic fans warning us about this when he joined us.

Why the media still rave about him is beyond me

I didn't watch the match, but I'm always intrigued when I see things like the above.

Watched the match on a stream. Ireland was involved in pretty much everything we did, most of the play in midfield went through him. Then, when they had the ball, he chased everything and pressed Cattermole constantly giving him no time to settle.

Unfortunately he made a lot of bad decisions with passes and hesitated when figuring out what to do, giving the opposition time to nick it.

So, while he tried hard, he wasn't quite at the races. Some will see the effort, some will see the wastage. The truth, as usual, is somewhere in the middle.

Ireland was involved in pretty much everything we did, most of the play in midfield went through him. Then, when they had the ball, he chased everything and pressed Cattermole constantly giving him no time to settle.

Unfortunately he made a lot of bad decisions with passes and hesitated when figuring out what to do, giving the opposition time to nick it.

So, while he tried hard, he wasn't quite at the races. Some will see the effort, some will see the wastage. The truth, as usual, is somewhere in the middle.

I think most people will have seen both, but it's a good point. Cattermole looked their best player, btw, so not sure ireland really stopped him - he harrassed him, true, but the defensive aspects aren't his strength. Good to see him working hard, that's for sure.

I guess a lot of people want Ireland to be the creative force in the middle, but at the moment, and for all his time at Villa really, he hasn't generally been that. Whether it's been down to his own failings, to lack of movement (particularly under McLeish), or something else, who knows?

I think whether by accident or design the midfield was the right one for the game. KEA is neat in possession, but hasn't yet adjusted to the speed and power of the league, whereas Westwood has been brought up on English football, and taught at Crewe the right way to play.

The main thing was that Benteke and Gabby kept them wary all the time at the back and always gave something for our lads to hope and believe in, and the whole team worked their socks off (as they pretty much always do).

The little break, and competition for places did Larkey some good, too. He played very well.

Guzan 6 - Not tested per se. Did well in claiming the various high dodgy balls in from their wide men though.

Lowton 7.5 - Another confident, quick and energy filled performance. How he's escaped so much praise from Villa fans I don't know. Been absolutely brilliant of late and despite the fact he's having to half the wing attack work he's flourishing. 2m? Absolute bargain.

Bennett N/A - Not on long enough to make a difference. Went off after being clattered by Bardsley for Lichaj.

SUB: Lichaj 5 - Dreadful by him, I like him as a player but my god he was awful today. Walking red card I believed I called him just 5 minutes after entering. I know he's a right back hence why hes a 5 not a 4,

SUB: Stevens 6 - Not enough time but helped withstand the desperate barrage at the end.

Vlaar - 7 Another very good captains performance, full of heart and soul and competent defending. He's got the popularity of a Mellberg/Cuellar but with the ability to outshine either of them as a player. His fists pump to the away fans at the end summed his importance to us and vice versa.

Clark 7.5 - Coming of age this boy. We've missed him having to play Chris Herd at the back who is at best...ahhh... "limited". A fantastic sliding block on Sessegnon was a highlight in a very good performance. One note Ciaran - STOP GETTING BOOKED.

Bannan 7 - Good performance from wee Barry. Much better than his erratic display at Swindon. No idea why he'd been frozen out before that though, him and Westwood never seemed to get a sniff in the side.

Westwood MOTM 8 - Brilliant string-pulling performance from the youngster, was arguably the best player on the park. Just plain excellent. How many kids have started their first Premier League match start in such a commanding manner. Didn't get crippled by Cattermole either which was a bonus.

Ireland 6 - So so so so so so SO frustrating. Had the potential to be the most influential on the park but cocked up his final ball constantly. Missed an openish goal too from distance. Come on Steve, we saw glimpses.

Weimann 6 - Anonymous for the large part but occasionally linked well with Lowton. Two of the best chances of the game and he made them tame, moderate shots for Mignolet to save.

Holman N/A - Not enough time.

Agbonlahor 7 - That's better Gabby. Now please don't make it 12 months 'til your next league goal. Nice finish despite Cuellar's ugly desperate challenge. Ran and linked well with Benteke. Get back to your best Gabby!!!

Benteke 8 - Wow. Big performance from Big Ben. Christian Benteke is soon to be the new player "associated" with Villa. When he isn't scoring goals he seems to be barrelling over defenders and showing a close ball control of someone belying his stature. Once he becomes a bit more clinical we have an extremely dangerous weapon in our locker. Stark contrast from the premature anger at him missing a few shots against Spurs and the Baggies. Tremendous header for Gabby's goal and generally menaced the entire Sunderland defence. As one S'land quipped, "O'Shea is still trying to win a header against him"

Better Villa. Much better. I would honestly kill for a win against United next week now....

Agree I think KEA unless he improves dramatically will hold us back. His position is a vital one and we can't have mediocrity in there

Bit of perspective - he cost £2.5m - and has played 8 premier league games - scoring one goal. Not setting the world on fire granted - and if westwood plays like he did yesterday then yes he deserves to keep his place. I still think KEA has much to offer even as a fringe player -

Â