FA to Investigate Clattenburg Over Racist Language

bickster

'Spanish' isn't a race though is it? And if you ask most Spanish people they'd call themselves white rather than 'hispanic'.

Watching the video, it doesn't look like he said Spanish, looks like "punished". If Clattenberg is innocent they should come down like a ton of bricks on whoever made the allegation.

There's an increasing whiff of hysteria over the racism in football thing. I do not believe that, had the previous few controversies not come to pass, this story would exist.

As it is, has Jason Roberts made a bit more hay on the back of this? He's not missed any other opportunities recently to further his media career...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/20141078

Now the Police are in on the act.

Mark Clattenburg: Police probe referee after Chelsea claims

The Metropolitan Police has started an investigation into alleged comments by referee Mark Clattenburg towards Chelsea players during Manchester United's 3-2 win on Sunday.

A Football Association investigation, launched after a complaint by Chelsea, will continue.

Chelsea accused Clattenburg of using "inappropriate language" including racial words towards two players.

Neither Chelsea or the FA made the police complaint.

Peter Herbert, the lawyer behind the potential black players' breakaway union, earlier revealed he made a written complaint to the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS).

The Press Association reports that Clattenburg will formally deny the allegations.

"The MPS has not received any complaint from either Chelsea Football Club or the Football Association," read a Metropolitan Police statement.

"We continue to work in partnership with Chelsea and the Football Association in order to consider any allegation that is made in relation to the reported events."

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor welcomed the FA's refusal to halt its own investigation following the police announcement.

"That is music to my ears, the news I wanted to hear," said Taylor.

"We have the ability to deal with these issues rather than the elongation of a process which is no good to anyone."

Chelsea finished the match at Stamford Bridge with nine men after Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres were sent off in the space of five minutes, with the latter's second yellow card for diving disputed by Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo.

Durham-based Clattenburg has not been picked to officiate at a match this weekend.

The 37-year-old is viewed by the Professional Game Match Officials, the referees' organisation, as one of the leading officials in the country.

He regularly referees games in European competitions and was put in charge of the League Cup final in February and the Olympic final between Brazil and Mexico in August.

Since the complaint was made by the lawyer for the black players' group, all your speculations about slurs against the Spanish may be barking up the wrong árbol.

If that clip's anything to go by, this seems like a frivolous claim in order to discredit a referee they hate. I hate Clattenburg too, but I don't need to pretend he's a racist to know that he's a word removed. I would hope that Clattenburg or the FA has some legal grounds to get recompense from Chelsea if this turns out to be false, but then again if you hit too hard back the other way then it could be seen as an attempt to discourage legitimate racism complaints.

All Chelsea really needs to do to maintain the appearance of having made the claim in good faith, is to say 'oh well it sounded like he said (whatever)'. Doesn't matter if they have any credibility in the issue. Bit unbalanced if you ask me.

There's an increasing whiff of hysteria over the racism in football thing. I do not believe that, had the previous few controversies not come to pass, this story would simply not exist.

As it is, has Jason Roberts made a bit more hay on the back of this? He's not missed any other opportunities recently to further his media career...

My thoughts exactly.

A very delicate subject, but it's definitely a hot topic at the moment and the media will scramble all over anything regarding racism in football.

The fact that this exists as a news story, is the first sign that something is wrong here (and nearly every other similar story). The FA shouldn't even release anything on this until they've investigated, once the investigation is over, if Clattenburg is found to be innocent, the Chelsea players should be punished if that is deemed appropriate. If Clattenburg is guilty then the case should be passed on to the Police to investigate and again, nothing said in the media until that investigation has taken place.

Everyone has the right to be free from abuse of this nature but equally, those accused but innocent of any crime should also be free from association with such crimes until it is deemed that they are guilty.

There is no need for media involvement until an investigation has taken place.

Based on Mata's facial response, it couldn't have been a racial slur against him...

To me, this stinks of Chelsea trying to get one over on the FA, and it's totally irresponsible. I hope they are found to be lying, and punished severely for it.

Based on Mata's facial response, it couldn't have been a racial slur against him...

To me, this stinks of Chelsea trying to get one over on the FA, and it's totally irresponsible. I hope they are found to be lying, and punished severely for it.

Totally. And from what I understand, the allegations weren't raised until a couple of hours after the game, after an apparent massive row in the refs changing room involving DiMatteo, Mikel and - of course - Terry.

Getting very silly already. Couple of headlines from the Daily Mail (yes, I know).

Chelsea stars now claim referee Clattenburg told Mikel: 'Shut up you monkey' as club's race case looks in jeopardy

and in the dust up at the referee's changing room

Race storm referee Mark Clattenburg was threatened by a member of the Chelsea squad, who told him: 'I'm going to f****** break your legs,', it has been claimed.

I just have a feeling that Chelsea FC are not going to come out of this very well at all.

I just can't see Clattenburg being stupid enough to use blatantly racist language.

Swearing or even calling Mata "A Spanish whatever" maybe.

But calling MIkel a monkey? I just don't think he'd be that stupid. In a game where there's a load of hype around Terry being suspended because of racism, and the amount of cameras at games, I just can't see him being that idiotic

Agreed Stevo, makes no sense at all. Hence my comment, I can see this going spectacularly wrong on CFC's part.

IF he had said something along the lines of "Monkey" there would be some footage of Mikel or the other Chelsea players who apparently heard it going mental and furious... especially as their captain was banned by MC's employers for racism.

Â