Fan Power

Amo69

And I guess that's the point Big John - it was a signal of belief - we saw the results were poor under McLeish and we didn't believe in what he was doing - either his methods or his aims, there was no empathy because there was no trust that things were going to improve. This was a signal to Lambert that whilst the results are awful, utterly dreadful in fact, that there's a will to stick with him because there's some sort of trust that he's going about it in the right way, there's some sort of link made between supporter and manager and by association with the players - that'll be good for the team in the long run and good for the manager, it'll be good for the club.

It might well be misplaced, and it might be motivated through the knowledge that this is almost a last chance saloon, that we've tried a few other methods and that this one has to work, you can put all sorts of arguments into whether or not it's justified - ultimately it doesn't matter - it doesn't need to be right and it doesn't need to be justified, it just feels good to be together and to find some sort of pride and positivity from the mess of our christmas.

Things change on moments like these.

I'm sure that is what it was. Or maybe it was the completely inept performance we were witnessing?

I left around the 88 minute mark, think it was the earliest I had since that horrendous 1-4 match against Coventry.

This! I very rarely leave early and certainly wouldn't leave before 85 mins. I left because I was depressed at such an inept performance. Fair play to those that stayed. I hope your support pays off.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad it happened. I agree with the idea that Lambert needs time and its a nice touch to the manager.

There just seems to be a dig at those that didn't do it. That's the part I don't agree with.

There's a distinction to be made here. I think it's entirely justifiable to criticise people who left when the second goal went in, even the third. It's not about "those that didn't do it", so much. It's the people who left VERY early, and although it's a matter of opinion I did find it annoying to watch them all stream out.

It was game over at 3 nil. I can't really blame people for leaving then, they've already had their Christmas ruined by watching Villa get trounced 8 nil on the telly then they turn up to see an equally inept performance, why shouldn't they leave with 10-15 mins left and beat the traffic?

Plenty of Liverpool fans left early when we went 3 nil up at their place, and their spirits weren't already low going into the game like ours were for yesterday.

I left early a few times last season. The atmosphere was so poisonous that my 7 year old was hearing stuff he probably shouldn't at that age and it wasn't the best of times to have him start supporting the Villa.

I stayed to the bitter end but didn't join in the chanting. Although impressive in a half empty stadium i found it bemusing. We lost 0-4 and frankly little that Lambert & the team did on the day deserved such rousing support when we have just been well & truly thrashed.

Pity the same fans couldn't have started chanting during the game and given our lacklustre team a little extra help when it was needed - It may have made some difference - VP is like a morgue these days.

I hope Lambert can pull something out the bag in January, because this is without doubt the worst Villa team I have seen in decades. If he doesn't and we continue to get hammered from February onwards I very much doubt he will retain such support - quite the reverse.

I stayed until the end but didn't join in the chanting mainly as I was right pissed off after having a row with some tosser who thought it was acceptable to start hurling foul language and abuse at those who chose to leave early. We really do have some utter twerps amongst our support.

I can't understand people that leave at 1-0 or similar scorelines. But to moan at people for leave when 3-0 or 4-0 down when we hadn't looked like scoring 1 goal all game? The referee may as well of blown the whistle after 80 minutes. Fair play to you for being able to stay until the end. You must have greater willpower than me!

How many will suddenly rediscover their 'obsession' if we do, as expected, reach a Wembley Final?

That may be the case. But going to watch football should be something enjoyable you do in your spare time. Getting trounced 4 nil at home after the Chelsea game was depressing, disspiriting and anything other than enjoyable.

That may be the case. But going to watch football should be something enjoyable you do in your spare time. Getting trounced 4 nil at home after the Chelsea game was depressing, disspiriting and anything other than enjoyable.

I enjoyed it. Met up with a mate for a drink first, talked about football for a bit, caught up. Enjoyed aspects of being in the Holte as well. The performance was absolutely awful, and the result pretty much matched it, but it's about more than just the 90 minutes. Why would people go to see the many, many, many worse teams than Villa if it were just about the game itself being enjoyable?

Besides, is this football or the cinema? Being a football supporter should be a bit more involved, shouldn't it? A bit of (knowingly naive) give and take?

I enjoyed it. Met up with a mate for a drink first, talked about football for a bit, caught up. Enjoyed aspects of being in the Holte as well. The performance was absolutely awful, and the result pretty much matched it, but it's about more than just the 90 minutes. Why would people go to see the many, many, many worse teams than Villa if it were just about the game itself being enjoyable?

Besides, is this football or the cinema? Being a football supporter should be a bit more involved, shouldn't it? A bit of (knowingly naive) give and take?

People turn up in the hope that they are going to get a performance to be proud of, they hope for a result (although a defeat can sometimes be accepted if they get the aforementioned performance).

Although it isn't solely about the 90 minutes, that is ultimately what is remembered when they look back on the day. In terms of the 'many, many, many worse teams than Villa', at the level we are playing at, there aren't many at all.

I'm not talking about the level we're playing at, I'm talking about the millions of people around the world who get served up a lot worse than we do over 90 minutes.

The point I'm making is that football is different to other forms of entertainment, and you don't always get what you pay for.

Edited by ChrisVillan
  • Like 1

I'm not talking about the level we're playing at, I'm talking about the millions of people around the world who get served up a lot worse than we do over 90 minutes.

The point I'm making is that football is different to other forms of entertainment, and you don't always get what you pay for.

The reason I made the point about there being few worse than us at the level we are playing at, is that at least fans of the vast majority of teams at lower levels have more hope of a competitive performance and a victory than we do right now. Fans of lower league teams know they aren't turning up to see Man Utd in the first place, it's a lot easier for them to avoid getting so dispirited unless of course they start losing games 8-0 and 4-0.

I'm talking about the millions of people around the world who get served up a lot worse than we do over 90 minutes.

Who exactly are all these people? Football is generally organised into leagues of broadly matched teams so that, while some teams are better than others, there is usually a reasonable contest before one side wins. What we're seeing at Villa at the moment is a team woefully out of its depth getting picked off at will and hopelessly overwhelmed. That is not a good thing to watch and is not something that not too many fans have to put up with.

I understand entirely why people left early on a day when they had encountered travelling problems getting to the match, probably had family parties back at home, and were seeing little on the pitch to keep them in the ground.

Frankly, I think the fans who stayed and cheered foir Lambert were a bit bonkers - there, I’ve said it. Was it really the correct message to be sending him after 0-8 and 0-4?

Frankly, I think the fans who stayed and cheered foir Lambert were a bit bonkers - there, I’ve said it. Was it really the correct message to be sending him after 0-8 and 0-4?

My view is that unless we have a better idea of who should be our manager, and while there's a chance that PL is slowly building something good, that's exactly the correct message to be sending him.

Â