Ripping off the state

Dodgyknees

Hey guys

If you find out somebody is ripping off the state, which includes earning a lot of money AND getting tax credits, getting away with a lot of child maintenance and more. What do I need to do to complain?

I would think the benefit people know about 10% of this persons earnings and they live the life of a king! Just seems unfair when I work my arse off for little.

And do they need to know who I am?

Do the government ask for details or receipts of what people are spending their benefit money on?

Because surely if you're needing to be on benefits, then primarily they'll be for providing the basics in life. Rent, food, heating, electricity etc. Not to say that people on benefits should not spend on leisure, but certainly not excessively. And they shouldn't really be squirrelling too much of it away either, because that doesn't seem right either to me.

Is this Re: the person I am on about?

I know they earn a lot of money each month and have been earning £500+ for a few months now without paying maintenance through "minimal funds" and 'them' being on the breadline. Plus I believe this money might also be done without paying tax.

I know they earn a lot of money each month and have been earning £500+ for a few months now without paying maintenance through "minimal funds" and 'them' being on the breadline. Plus I believe this money might also be done without paying tax.

This person doesn't work for the BBC does he?

• Like 1

I've read that a few times and I'm afraid that I still can't work out what it means.

Is the lot of money that they earn the £500+ per month? Or is that some tax credit amount on top of some black economy earnings (the lot of money)?

I can't really help with on this one - Tax Credits are an issue for HMRC, and Maintenance is an issue for CSA. I presume any info provided on the above DWP (which I am) link will be passed on, though. The easiest way to tackle the Mainentance issue would be for the receiving party of the Maintenance (or lack of) to complain. The Tax Creds are a very easy thing to check out for HMRC, as they will check NIRS/2 (National Insurance Recording System) for amounts of conts made. IF theyre paying conts ofc. If it's cash in hand, well...they can't.

Sorry.

500 for work outside of the benefits he is on. He's claiming but working.

Well, that looks like it's wrong then.

Do you know them? If so then perhaps you should suggest that they don't claim whilst also working?

If they're not amenable to your suggestion then take it further.

I'd take issue with the living like a king comment - you're saying that someone who is on a subsistence level of benefits and also earning £500 a month (tax free) is 'living the life of a king'?

If you think someone is playing the system and ripping us off, it may be good to look first at the bigger thieves before worrying about the petty stuff.

How about a letter to your MP asking for his/her views about the taxdodging of Amazon, Starbucks, Google, Vodafone, and the rest of them, and asking what amount of extra tax you personally are paying because these firms aren't paying what they should? And exactly what your MP proposes to do about it?

These things have a far, far greater effect on you than any amount of individual people with dodgy claims. We should be asking that the time of civil servants is spent on hunting down the big abuses, not things which yield almost nothing in comparison.

• Like 1

I'd probably grumble about someone I knew if they were benefit cheating but tbh I wouldn't pick up a phone and report them ... If they are doing it to feed a family then I'd be even less so inclined ..perhaps if they were doing so to fly first class around the world then it would be a different issue

• Like 1

If you think someone is playing the system and ripping us off, it may be good to look first at the bigger thieves before worrying about the petty stuff.

How about a letter to your MP asking for his/her views about the taxdodging of Amazon, Starbucks, Google, Vodafone, and the rest of them, and asking what amount of extra tax you personally are paying because these firms aren't paying what they should? And exactly what your MP proposes to do about it?

These things have a far, far greater effect on you than any amount of individual people with dodgy claims. We should be asking that the time of civil servants is spent on hunting down the big abuses, not things which yield almost nothing in comparison.

Whilst you are correct Peter, is this not about 'fairness' and cheating. In fact, stealing. It does get peoples backs up.

I wouldn't be comfortable about shopping them, but might rather 'have a word'.

it is 'cheating the system', albeit in a very insignificant way, and is far less of a problem than the things you mention.

I woulkd think long and hard before reporting someone, even if it's 'anonymous'.

Do you have some sort of dislike for this chap, or just have a particular set of moral values he's offended?

Whilst you are correct Peter, is this not about 'fairness' and cheating. In fact, stealing. It does get peoples backs up.

I wouldn't be comfortable about shopping them, but might rather 'have a word'.

it is 'cheating the system', albeit in a very insignificant way, and is far less of a problem than the things you mention.

Yes, I agree, and I'm not saying we should condone it any more than, say, people putting in false expenses claims at their place of work.

But if you had a part share in a corner shop, and you were faced with two sets of thieves, one a series of kids who regularly nicked a bar of chocolate and the other a series of organised gangs who came in the back and emptied the stockroom, which would you be more concerned about, and which would you expect the shopkeeper (your employee) to make most effort to deal with? Both, yes, but which should attract more time and effort?

In this analogy, we're paying the shopkeeper's wages, but he's getting a rather larger payoff from the gangs. So he'd rather we all work ourselves up about the kids we can see, and not bother about what's happening out the back.

Yes, I agree, and I'm not saying we should condone it any more than, say, people putting in false expenses claims at their place of work.

But if you had a part share in a corner shop, and you were faced with two sets of thieves, one a series of kids who regularly nicked a bar of chocolate and the other a series of organised gangs who came in the back and emptied the stockroom, which would you be more concerned about, and which would you expect the shopkeeper (your employee) to make most effort to deal with? Both, yes, but which should attract more time and effort?

In this analogy, we're paying the shopkeeper's wages, but he's getting a rather larger payoff from the gangs. So he'd rather we all work ourselves up about the kids we can see, and not bother about what's happening out the back.

or he could resolve one quickly with a phone call or two, then move on to the bigger problem

Personally I'd take the live and let live stance.

There are always going to be people who cheat their way through life, people richer than you and people far poorer than you. Shopping this one guy won't change a tiny thing, and won't change his or her mentality.

Your best bet is not to let yourself get angry or even annoyed by it, because then you're just letting it harm you for the sake of it.

Â