Greatest Ever Players

mikeyp102

Best player I've ever seen live would be Rooney, Ronaldo never seemed to play well at VP

Zidane and Messi would be the best I'ver ever seen on TV, Torres really was unplayable and I think he'll find that form again soon

I take it you were not at the 06/07 Manchester v villa game. Ronaldo scored twice and it is regarded by the villa fans I know as one of the best individual performances at our beautiful ground.

Then why state "close the thread" ? :detect:

If you say Ronaldinho's generation are players born five years either side of him, so 1975-85, I cant see how you could think he is the greatest. At his peak he was brilliant, but he was essentially a spent force by the age of 27 because he preferred being in nightclubs to being on the training pitch.

a show real player, i remember soccer am`s show boat back in 2003/2006 was just a 3 minute montage of his mugging off players every week. one of the most skilfull players of his generation, but one of the best? not for me.

Then why state "close the thread" ? :detect:

Didn't mean literally, said in more of joking sense.. should have made than more clear :P

No but agreed, like a lot of these Brazilians, they prefer to live the life style e.g. Adriano..

But did not do it consistently enough I suppose, could have gone on to be a considered a great.. Just lacked the focus I guess.

Didn't mean literally, said in more of joking sense.. should have made than more clear :P

No but agreed, like a lot of these Brazilians, they prefer to live the life style e.g. Adriano..

But did not do it consistently enough I suppose, could have gone on to be a considered a great.. Just lacked the focus I guess.

I guessed not literally lol..

And yeah that's why I queried his selection...fantastically skilled,but could and should have done so much more.

Maradona is unquestionably the greatest footballer ever. A personal favourite of mine was Michael Laudrup, just an absolutely terrific player who could do absolutely everything with the ball at his feet.

Pele would argue differently, Messi could still take over (the comparisons are remarkable)

Pele won world cups with great players around him, the 1970 team was one of the greatest ever, 1958 was also a great side, Garrincha being their best player at that point and in 1962 they won it essentially without him.

Maradona dragged a good team to glory in 1986 and decent at best side to the final 1990.

What I'm trying to say is that IMO Maradona's achievements in the game far surpass Pele's. Messi could well take over if he plays a pivotal role in a world cup winning side. So far he has been (relatively) shite at world cups.

Argentina have a really good team right now, but then I felt their last two world cup teams were very capable. Brazil IMO aren't up to much although hosting it gives them a great advantage. Argentina have over the last two years made Messi more the focal point and looked to emulate Barca's style, so that will greatly benefit him.

Messi will be 27 at the next world cup so probably his last chance to dominate a world cup, he surely won't be at his peak when he's 31. I just don't see how he can be called the greatest of all time until he dominates a world cup.

This talk of Messi's greatness being measured on whether or not he wins a World Cup is largely nonsense in my opinion, but it always seems to come up. It's mainly when people choose to judge his ability against Maradona, who 'dragged' his nation to glory; however, as with all these inter-generational comparisons, there is a lot more to it. I wasn't around when Maradona won the World Cup, but I've heard people say that the Argies were an underrated side at the time with some good players in there. The current Argentina team aren't perfect either, and have had several problems over the last few years. Then, of course, there's the opposition: to be crowned world champions, Argentina will probably have to overcome Spain, who are arguably the greatest national side ever seen. There are other very good sides competing, too.

I'd agree that if Messi won the World Cup, it would probably establish him to all as the greatest player of all time, and there's still time for him to do it yet. Maradona hadn't won it yet when he was as old as Messi is now, which is an important fact to remember. However, if he doesn't, it's unfair to suggest that this equates to Messi being confirmed as a lesser player than Maradona. He's achieved so much already that it's truly ridiculous. He's a staggering talent and an unbelievable player. I just bloody love watching him.

Â