Greatest Ever Players

mikeyp102

Who do people think are the greatest players in each position ever? It's hard to do an all time 11 as lets be honest different players in different eras are harder to compare, also it would get into tthe arguement over tactics etc...

So here's some I think for each position (obviously I'm going to miss some out, so feel free to add to it).

Goalkeeper

Buffon

Banks

Kahn

Schmeicel

Casillas

Zoff

Defenders

Maldini

Nesta

Baresi

Matthaus

Duncan Edwards

Bobby Moore

Cafu

Roberto Carlos

Costacurta

Blind

Adams

Blanc

Lahm

Thuram

Lizarazu

Desailly

Beckenbauer

Midfielder

Vieira

Iniesita

Xavi

Guillet

Platini

Hoddle

Zico

Attacker

Messi

Ronaldo

Maradona

Zidane

Best

Finney

Matthews

M Laudrup

Charlton

Baggio

Garzinho

Cryuff

Garrincha

Striker

Raul

Stoickov

Ronaldo (Brazil)

Romario

Alfredi Di Stefano

Van Basten

Linekar

Pele

Villa

Puskás is probably the most notable absence for me, initially. Eusébio, Carlos Alberto and Nílton Santos should also definitely be on there. Mentions also for John Charles, Arthur Friedenreich, Guiseppe Meazza, Gerd Müller and Djalma Santos.

David Villa, really?

Has scored 50+ goals in just over 80 appearances for Spain, becoming Spains all time top goalscorer in a period where they have become world and european (yes I know he wasn't in the squad due to injury...) champions and arguably one of the best international teams of all time...if it wasnt for Messi's brilliance he would a top goalscorer for Barcelona as well.

gazza? henry in his prime? ashley coles gotta have a shout aswell as much as i hate him.

Henry yeah probably there...Gazza hmm undecided, good player on his day but never really hit the heights he probably should've...Cole whilst I think has probably been the best LB in the world for the last yrs, compared to other great defenders of the past, I personally wouldn't put him on an all time list, but can see why some would.

I see where you're coming from, but surely you can make a relatively safe judgement based on the evidence that's available to you, though? For instance, with Puskás, there is a lot of written material (contemporary and otherwise) suggesting how good he was, which is backed up by statistics. Admittedly it's nothing like watching them play on a weekly basis, and it's possible to be misled, but through existing video footage you can often see if a player truly had that 'something else'. When you combine these things, and do your research, I think you can safely say something like 'Ferenc Puskás was one of the greatest forwards of all time' without being too concerned about having made an incorrect judgement.

Â