Price of Football Survey

Condimentalist

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19842397

So once again Aston Villa comes out as one of the cheapest clubs in the league, and better value than a lot of Championship clubs too. To take a crude estimate of the median between the cheapest and most expensive season ticket, only Wigan comes out cheaper.

The overall price of football has gone up 11.7%, more than 5 times inflation. It's absolutely barmy and frankly rather sickening. I hope the new TV deal keeps prices down but we know that this won't happen. What a desperate state of affairs, but all credit to the board for keeping ticket prices at the Villa at manageable levels.

Surprised at how cheap Man City are. I guess when you're not running to make profit or even be self sufficient.

Great to see we're doing so well. Cheaper season tickets than the Baggies is a surprise.

• Like 1

Intersting that were on same pricing/slightly cheaper than our friends in the slums across the city and were a league above them.

Proud to be one of the few cheaper clubs left, although I still think its too much!

What are corresponding prices on the continent? I might have read that tickets were €10 at top Germans clubs. This country pisses me off.

Glad to see Villa not ripping the fans off when compared to other clubs. I still believe Premier League football is too expensive.

Saw a post by a Liverpool fan somewhere on the web recently (exactly where deceives me). He said he spoke to a Dortmund fan in Manchester and told him he pays £800 for his season ticket in the Kop. The guy thought he was talking about a family of four.

It costs around £8 a game to watch Bundesliga champions Dortmund for a season in Die Sudtribune (their huge Kop and the only one bigger than the Holte End in Europe). This also includes Champions League matches.

The Bundesliga model is infinitely fairer, more sustainable and competitive with a much higher level of player-fan interaction and general atmosphere. Why is this? Because there is no Sky to pry clubs with money, subsequently lowering the wage expectations of players, prices of tickets and lifting attendances (and I dare say matchday enjoyment). The inequalities in our league will continue to worsen unless we start adopting some of the aspects of the German game. I appreciate in terms of player quality the German league is not quite at the Premier League level, but I'd rather see my team competing and in guaranteed existence than be able to watch slightly better players every month or so when we play a bigger team.

There is also pressure emerging from some of the more successful Prem teams (see Ian Ayre of Liverpool last year) for the Premier League to adopt a more success-based wealth distribution system similar to the Spanish league (which is why Real and Barca are all but untouchable and often lower teams' players have strikes and pay disputes). Though United obviously and rightly receive more than Wigan in TV and prize money, this idea will ensure the differences in revenue are much more exaggerated. Seems like it is getting worse rather than better.

• Like 2

There is also pressure emerging from some of the more successful Prem teams for the Premier League to adopt a more success-based wealth distribution system

Isn't that called Premier League Prize Money?..

Yes. The two go fairly hand-in-hand. Either way it creates greater inequality in the league which is something we certainly don't need.

I thought such a move was inevitable but Serie A changed from it in recent years.
  • Like 1

I thought such a move was inevitable but Serie A changed from it in recent years.

Success/popularity-based fluctuations in income are of course inevitable yes. However what Ayre is suggesting takes these differences in income to a much greater extreme when we should be seeking to minimise such differences in the interest of fairness. You see different champions annually in many American sports as distribution of wealth is much more even.

Success/popularity-based fluctuations in income are of course inevitable yes.

I mean the Premier League moving to such a system did seem inevitable. Hopefully they now realise that a more competitive league is good for business. The only Spanish football I watch is el clasico as I have no interest in seeing Barcaelona beating Granada 6-0. I hope Scudamore and his acolytes realise this.

Â