Returning electronical goods

kurtsimonw

Sorry if this should be in the tech forum, wasn't sure since it's not about the technical side of the product itself.

Anyways. My brother's girlfriend wanted to buy him a multi region blu ray player for his birthday and came accross one by Richer Sounds on eBay. She messaged them asking specifically if it can play US/Region A blu rays and 3D blu rays - to which they replied, yes it plays any discs from anywhere. She then went into the Richer Sounds store in Lichfield with a picture of the eBay item and they found the same one in store and she bought it.

He got a few Region A blu rays from the US and none of them work, the screen message saying "This blu ray is Region A locked and will not work in your Region B blu ray". The issue is that on the receipt it states they will refund items within 7 days that've been unopened/unsealed and will otherwise only replace/repair items with a fault.

Well seeing as it was a present, the 7 day returns has expired as it's only tonight we found out it doesn't play Region A blu rays. We could also, obviously, only find out that it doesn't play them by opening the blu ray player this voiding there 'unopened/unsealed' thing.

How would they go about getting a refund? I'm not really good with knowing the ins-and-outs of this kind of thing but told them I'd ask around for help. To me it seems as though she only bought the item based on false information that she was given by the seller (Richer Sounds) and she has photographic proof of the question asked and the answer they gave. A replacement wouldn't be any good in this instance as it's not a fault, but the machine doesn't do the job that she was told it does.

Any help appreciated as they want to go in and try and sort it out when they have a day off work together and ideally they'd like to know where they stand a little before going in.

Pretty straightforward. They go in, explain the situation, say the words "sale of goods act" and tell them the item was not sold in good faith so they must get a refund. To be fair Richer Sounds are generally great on after-sales so I doubt they'll have a problem.

Yeah I asked her for a link and it's the Richer Sounds official eBay store so definitely that. Thanks for the feedback anyway, they're both a bit worried since they're young and it's a lot of money for them, they don't like confrontation and just wanted something to back them up really. Cheers.

It's a hell of a lot harder unlock a blu-ray player, they'll require software unlocks, or even hardware modification.

There's pretty strict rules in place for blu-ray players, and if a manufacturers player was easily unlocked then they can have their device keys pulled.

OK, so I work as a lawyer for an electrical retailer (not Richer Sounds - sorry!). As a consumer, you're entitled to rely on an implied warranty under the Sales of Goods Act that the goods are fit for purpose, provided that you made the purpose clear at the time of purchase. If you have evidence of your Q&A in writing (on eBay), it should be pretty straightforward to return.

The 7 (or 14, 28 etc) day period for return where there is no fault or breach of implied warranty is actually a gesture of goodwill by retailers - they have no legal obligation to accept a return where someone has changed their mind, but in your case, quote the SOGA and implied warranty of fitness for purpose, and you should be fine. PM me if you have trouble.

OK, so I work as a lawyer for an electrical retailer (not Richer Sounds - sorry!). As a consumer, you're entitled to rely on an implied warranty under the Sales of Goods Act that the goods are fit for purpose, provided that you made the purpose clear at the time of purchase. If you have evidence of your Q&A in writing (on eBay), it should be pretty straightforward to return.

The 7 (or 14, 28 etc) day period for return where there is no fault or breach of implied warranty is actually a gesture of goodwill by retailers - they have no legal obligation to accept a return where someone has changed their mind, but in your case, quote the SOGA and implied warranty of fitness for purpose, and you should be fine. PM me if you have trouble.

Apart from under The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 which grants seven working days "no quibble" money back for all distance sales of goods or services. I guess for some retailers it's easier to provide the same in store as they have to online.

Cheers.

My brother said he went in yesterday and they were more than helpful about it. He wasn't able to get a refund on the spot as it was paid for by his girlfriends card and as she lives near Oxford it'll be a little while before she can get time off work and get up here, but they said if he tries to get a refund with her present then they'll be happy to give them a full refund.

Â