Using an android phone as an analog modem

BOF

Oh android gods and goddesses, can I pick your juicy brains for a minute.

I'm told it is possible to use your mobile phone as an analog modem (olde skool). Is this true? and if so, how do I go about doing it. Thanks muchly.

Oh android gods and goddesses, can I pick your juicy brains for a minute.

I'm told it is possible to use your mobile phone as an analog modem (olde skool). Is this true? and if so, how do I go about doing it. Thanks muchly.

The answer is either, "it's not" or "what are you talking about".

OK :( TBH I found it hard to believe. Thought I'd check with those who'd know.

EDIT : This link suggests there might be a way with a bit of work, but it's not straight-forward and can't be done with a stock android device.

If you tell us what you are actually asking, it might help.

Do you mean using a smart phone to negotiate a call to an analogue modem using it's speaker? YES (technically, I've never seen it done).

Or connecting your phone to the serial port of a PC and to a the phone line? NO, although you might find an old GSM handset which can do this.

Or using your phone to tone dial for you? YES (again, I've not seen it done).

Basically I want my PC to see my phone as an analog modem (whether it be via bluetooth or USB it doesn't matter) and then dial a number using the phone in the way that a 56k dial-up modem used to be able to, so that I can use things like hyperterm without requiring a fixed landline and an actual modem to do so. I know you used to be able to do it with older phones so it makes sense that a better more advanced phone would be able to do it; even if a bit of jiggery pokery was required first.

Basically I want my PC to see my phone as an analog modem (whether it be via bluetooth or USB it doesn't matter) and then dial a number using the phone in the way that a 56k dial-up modem used to be able to, so that I can use things like hyperterm without requiring a fixed landline and an actual modem to do so. I know you used to be able to do it with older phones so it makes sense that a better more advanced phone would be able to do it; even if a bit of jiggery pokery was required first.

I don't believe what you are describing is possible. To do this would require additional hardware where your mobile company handshakes to the analogue network. Older phones used additional hardware to do things like send faxes. I just don't think any (UK) network still provides this. It might be different in Ireland.

At the poor speeds you'd get, wouldn't it be more cost effective to get a 3g dongle or 3g/wifi router?

All bar one of my customers can be supported via t'internet. One still requires a dial-up via analog modem meaning I need to have a landline in my house. If I could somehow achieve the same thing without that then I'd be on the pig's back. I'm not good when it comes to networks and comms so I'm not sure if a 3g dongle or wifi router would do what it is that I'm trying.

It's possible to do it, though it may require a bit of hacking (though not on the phone end).

1. Sign up for a VoIP service.

2. Get an analog telephone adapter for that service

Now the analog adapter will, almost guaranteed, only have a wired ethernet port to plug into your router, so it won't be able to directly connect to WiFi. You'll want to get another small WiFi router, only this is one that you can put into client mode (you may have to flash non-vendor firmware to enable the feature)

So you'd then have the hookup be:

Computer modem -> VoIP adapter -> wired Ethernet -> router -> WiFi -> phone -> 3G

DoVoIPo3G

Â