V111A

Which striker?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which striker?

• Darren Bent
    • Robbie Keane
    • Jermaine Defoe

There are better choices that would fit the need priorities I'd have thought

None are available as far as I know, none have contracts up for renewal and neither can effectively play as wingers or target men.

None are any good as midfield players or challenging CB's, but then maybe O'Neill feels differently who knows.

For me buying any of them wouldn't be a disaster but I'm sure there are other priorities.

Bent first choice. He'd get alot of service - when we have a right winger - and we know he can score even in a chod team like Charlton. Bent and Gabby upfront with Petrov at the head of a midfield diamond could be lethal and very fast.

That said, I wouldn't turn my nose up at Defoe either and agree with most others that under MON's wing he could go far. I just think that Bent has the kind of work-ethic MON is looking for, Defoe can seem very lazy sometimes and we've already got one of them.

Personally I think the question should be - "Bent or Defoe? And what about Keane?"!

What I mean by that is, to me Keane is more of a second striker ; he has been known to play behind the front two, for example.

I would like Bent AND Keane. Maybe I am just being greedy, but I do not see Keane as similar to Bent/Defoe. Of course there are certain similar qualities (eg all 3 are relatively quick) but generally I think we could go for two of the three, as long as those two are not Bent and Defoe.

Bent could do either role IMO

He'd be wasted on the wing don't you think? But yes, he's also more flexible than the other two.

Sod it, let's buy all three of them and play a 4-1-5. Keane - Defoe - Bent - Moore - Gabby, there's some goals in that :winkold:

Dave, I meant either on his own as it would be in a 433 or as a two in a 442

im not too sure who i would prefer out of keane and bent, as i'm a big fan of keane, but you can't argue with bent's scoring record. I would be thrilled with either, i'd be happy with defoe as well but i would prefer bent and keane a lot more.

I can't believe the negative attitude towards Defoe on the message boards here.Whenever he has had a run of games wherever he's been he's scored hatfuls of goals.Plus he's a full England International and last summer everyone was saying he should be going to the world cup!

The fact that Jol doesn't know his best strikeforce and keeps chopping and changing hasn't helped Defoe but he is a top quality finisher who I think would be a bargain at £7m. In my opinion he is a class above Bent who, althought he has done well for Charlton he hasn't been around for too long whereas Defoe has been banging goals in at this prem level for years.I still have doubts on whether Bent can sustain what he's done.

Dave, I meant either on his own as it would be in a 433 or as a two in a 442

I'm sorry I don't understand could you explain a little more fully please.

Seeing as you asked nicely.

This post is in response to DDID who said that he thought Bent would be wasted as a winger in relation to my post which said he could do either role.

I then said that what I meant was I thought Bent could act as a lone striker in a 433 formation (one main striker supported by two speedy winger types ) or as part of a twin strikeforce in a 442 formation

Don't think Bent would leave Charlton

Same as Nugent wouldn't leave Preston right? :roll:

Sometimes players dont want to leave clubs and sometimes clubs dont want to sell them!

I know its hard for you to grasp that a player you think will automaticly move wont. But believe it or not it DOES happen!

But as i said it was my opinion which i backed up, perhaps you could add something worthwhile rather than criticising someone else's opinion that doesn't agree with your own :roll:

Don't think Bent would leave Charlton or they would sell him.

But he is the best option.

So if they are still bottom 3 in January and looking certanties for the drop, you're saying Bent would not want to leave?

I don't have any evidence its called an opinion.

Charlton are not relegated yet even at Xmas they are not relegated (look at West Brom) so why would they want to sell their best player? They might they might not, thats my opinion!

I'll make sure i make a big deal of yours when i think your wrong though.

I don't have any evidence its called an opinion.

Charlton are not relegated yet even at Xmas they are not relegated (look at West Brom) so why would they want to sell their best player? They might they might not, thats my opinion!

I'll make sure i make a big deal of yours when i think your wrong though.

I agree that Charlton might not want to sell him, that's fair enough. But you've still not explained why you even think he might not want to leave them.

But if you don't want to fine, I'll not question your opinion in future..........

So if they are still bottom 3 in January and looking certanties for the drop, you're saying Bent would not want to leave?

I don't know, i doubt Charlton would want to sell him.

Other clubs with their own 'star' players have gone down with them, could happen again.

I shall say it again, god forbid someone might disagree with it and have a go. I don't think Charlton will want to sell him regardless..

They might sell him and i was wrong, they might not sell him it just what i think at the moment.

I could agree with everyone but i don't.

But you've still not explained why you even think he might not want to leave them.

I don't think he is a jump ship type of player, i think if they went down he would go with them and not kick up a fuss and request a transfer.

Â