Midweek Football 1/4 Oct

andykeenan

It was a pretty clear penalty to be honest, not a "home"-team penalty as someone hinted. If your hands are out there when the ball returns goalbound, it is a penalty anywhere in the world.

Dortmund were amazing, such tempo and flair - as well as bite when needing to win the ball back. They deserved to win the game of course, even though City only need one chance at home to score a goal as we all know. Would have loved to see the ball in the back of the net after Balotelli's penalty.

Oh and Mancini? I just don't like that guy, he thinks he is Mourinho/Wenger/Ferguson-class just because he manages City. Tell you what, he has spent billions and has achieved the bare minimum thus far. When he gets fired he will probably return to Italy and bomb wherever he goes like Milan or Roma. He is arrogant like few others, he clearly cannot handle pressure very well and he has problems handling his high-maintenance players. He won the lottery with the City-job, but I hope his reputation plummits.

Mancini will be gone before the season is out.

I won't completely disagree with you, but he holds all the power in that club apart from Khaldoon and the Royals. He'd have to balls things up massively to lose his job.

like souness said tonight, he is ballsing things up massively, he keeps on **** about with the formation and its losing them points, he seems to have thrown out the basics that won them the league last year and started again rather than build on them

i dont think he'll go before the end of the season unless someone special is available to come in...

see what i did there

It's okay changing formation if you stick with it. Clearly he wants to try and go 3 at the back, but when things go wrong once, he goes back to 4 right away. If he's serious about 3 at the back then he needs to train it and stick with i, not just switch back and forth.

I'm not sure how he holds all the power ? Things are going tits up there, the signs are there already

After Garry Cook they had an interim CEO for about 9 months, during which time Mancini won the league. A great opportunity to build some rapport with the owners.

Dortmund was robbed by the referee there. They outclassed Man City and deserved to win.

A manager's challenge like they have in the NFL would be a good thing to implement, along with goal line technology. Each manager could be allowed one challenge per match. The fourth official could quickly review the video and either confirm the ruling on the pitch, or overturn it.

Anyway, very impressed with Dortmund, it's good to see them back in the CL, their supporters are some of the best in the world, really. Fantastic showing from their fans.

Very impressed by Reus, in particular. I can see one of the big Italian clubs coming in for him.

Joe Hart is an incredible goalkeeper, it has to be said. Even though his hairdo is a total embarrassment!

I've been saying for a while that Dortmund are one of the best teams in Europe, they're just young and have little Champions League experience. Also, they play at such a high intensity that three games a week can be difficult. Hopefully, their squad will stick together over the next couple of years (as they have over the last, bar the exit of Nuri Şahin) and they will gain experience and also confidence on the biggest stage. If this happens, they have the potential to win the Champions League. However, they still have a way to go, and Bayern are also a major challenging force domestically.

I was thinking the same thing while watching them today...they looked like they could beat anybody.

A manager's challenge like they have in the NFL would be a good thing to implement, along with goal line technology. Each manager could be allowed one challenge per match. The fourth official could quickly review the video and either confirm the ruling on the pitch, or overturn it.

God no. The NFL is a joke with all its stoppages. If these kinds of things started to be implemented into football, then I can see it turning into American football. Oh was that offside, better challenge. Did that hit a hand, better review it. These types of things cant be done quickly. The officials would need to take their time and make sure it's the right call. If they would just take one look at it, then it would be no different from calling it on the pitch.

Only technology i'd like to see is goal line technology and only the 4th official would be in charge of that.

God no. The NFL is a joke with all its stoppages. If these kinds of things started to be implemented into football, then I can see it turning into American football. Oh was that offside, better challenge. Did that hit a hand, better review it. These types of things cant be done quickly. The officials would need to take their time and make sure it's the right call. If they would just take one look at it, then it would be no different from calling it on the pitch.

Only technology i'd like to see is goal line technology and only the 4th official would be in charge of that.

Did you miss the words "one challenge"?

I've said that for a while.

If video is allowed for decisions, it would have to be limited to one challenge (or maybe 3) per match. And an incorrect challenge would have some sort of punishment to stop them being thrown about all over the place.

That's the only way some sort of video review would work.

Did you miss the words "one challenge"?

Yes but there are sports like hockey (the real version not the dancing on ice meets rollerball version) iirc from the Lympics that have a one challenge rule and you keep the challenge if you are found to be correct, so a one challenge rule isn't often simply one challenge

I also don't like the idea of challenging a ref this way at all. If the ref is proved to be wrong on one count, he'll start rethinking every decision and get more and more wrong decisions if he's that type of person.

A challenge system could not work in football. It's common for an incident at one end of the pitch to lead to a goalmouth incident at the other end of the pitch within a few seconds. Coaches would cynically throw a challenge flag as soon as they saw a dangerous break developing.

For example, every coach up and down the land would cynically stop play if they had not 'challenged' all game and the opposition suddenly had a 3 on 2 break after a corner late in the game.

Very impressed by Reus, in particular. I can see one of the big Italian clubs coming in for him.

He's only just signed for Dortmund, who are his home town club. Also, why a big Italian club? I can't see his head being turned by any Italian side.

Â