Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

It seems clear from this that he really does have some primitive fear of the number 17:

Cellino is so suspicious of the number 17 that he had the seats at his former club, Cagliari, taken out and replaced with 16B. Now he has instructed the new Leeds head coach, Dave Hockaday, not to select Paddy Kenny after discovering that the goalkeeper’s birthday is on 17 May and concluding that he is bad luck for the Championship club. Kenny, the second-highest earner at Leeds on £10,000 a week, has been left at home while the other players embark on a pre-season trip to Italy and he will not play for the club again.

Cellino, who also has a fear of purple, has separate issues about Kenny allegedly being overweight but is said to have reacted emotionally when he found out the 36-year-old goalkeeper had a connection with the number 17.

The Italian’s superstition about that number is so strong he has told Hockaday it must not form part of the squad list next season. Michael Brown previously wore 17 for Leeds but was released at the end of the season.

The issue goes back to Cellino’s time in Italian football when he says there was only one occasion in 20 years that Cagliari won or drew a game on the 17th of a month. In a recent interview, he remembered that victory and put it down to him asking the club’s supporters to wear the dreaded purple to the game. “The whole stadium was purple on the 17th. We won because I think that bad luck is like algebra: minus and minus is positive. Purple and 17 … they became positive and we won. That’s the only time.”

No doubt he also wanted to get Kenny off the books because of his relatively high wages, as they are on a further cost-cutting exercise

Leeds are now embarking on a cost-cutting process that has seen the canteen at their training ground closed down, meaning the players have to take packed lunches or send out for sandwiches. The players are also being made to pay to have their kits washed. Hockaday will not have control of transfer business and Cellino intends to flood the squad with free signings and cheap Italian imports.

So, a convicted fraudster, a man with severe and irrational phobias, and whose business acumen seems to make Doug Ellis look like Richard Branson.

It's a good job we have a "fit and proper person" test for club owners.

• 3 weeks later...

just read what this nutter at leeds said in the paper, he owns the biggest club in the country and four huge companies have made an offer to buy the club in the last month. one of these companies offered him a billion pound, is the guy on drugs or something haha. what next,villa are the biggest club in europe.

• 1 month later...

i see jimmy floyd hasselbaink and robbie fowler are going for the leeds job, with jimmy saying its one of the top ten jobs in english football. i think hes right and although i hate the bastards i will admit they are a very big club who should be back in the prem by now, the club has been through the wars for sure.

• 1 month later...

Cutting costs, running the club like a business, attempting to make the club after years and years and years of mismanagement and spending behind their means, self sufficient.

What a mad bastard.

This comment is not looking prescient. He's since sacked two managers, both after 6 games. He has a reputation as a nutter because he is a nutter. 

10 years ago they got relegated, couldn't imagine then they would spend this long outside the top flight, and with that mentalist in charge sacking the manager every 6 games it wouldn't be a surprise if they went down again.

Teams below Leeds:

Wigan- Should fly up the league with their win at Derby yesterday, Rosler has underachieved so far with the squad they still have, much better than Leeds.

Fulham- One of the form teams in the divisions now they're not putting out the youth team, will be above Leeds shortly.

Brighton- Bit of a worry, Hyppia dosen't look a good fit and they lack a goalscorer. Have started previous seasons slowly and still made play offs so do still have quality in their ranks.

Bolton- Looked dead and buried but 2/3 wins under Lennon so another who could fly up the league.

SHA- 99% relegated.

Blackpool- relegated.

The problem with Leeds aside from their eccentric owner is their squad is a mishmash of rubbish slow British players like Stephen Warnock, Steve Morison, Luke Murphy etc and flaky foreigners who don't have a club about the championship so I can hardly see it being a united dressing room particularly with all the manager changes.

The logical thing to do is give Redfern the job until the end of the season but no doubt Cellino is probably ringing up every manager in Serie D as we speak.

To be honest I thought there were a few more sides below them but they've dropped below the likes of Milwall, Rotherham and Huddersfield.

Even so I still think they will be fine. There biggest issue they have is the owner and the managerial changes, the most recent appointment was idiotic before it they weren't looking likely to go up but weren't in danger while under Redfearn. He is now seemingly going to be back in charge, perhaps even permanently (or the Celino version) and I think their form will improve almost instantly.

I agree with you regarding their squad but I still think it is better than a fair few sides in and around the bottom 8.

Right now I'd say it will be Blackpool, Small Heath and then Wigan or Brighton that join them.

The problem with Leeds aside from their eccentric owner is their squad is a mishmash of rubbish slow British players like Stephen Warnock

My mate has a ST at leeds and said Warnock was their best player before the new manager came in and dropped him. I think he's a very decent player to have in the Championship.

If he doesn't leave the manager well alone, they'll go down. The season is 46 games long, and some of the teams below them will go on runs of form. Wigan, Fulham and Bolton in particular all have the potential to turn things around, and I expect them to do so. Leeds will be unable to go on a run of form if each time the manager loses he's sacked. 

The other point about owners like Cellino is that they attract terrible managers. Want two years pay for six weeks work? Leeds are hiring now. 

the thing is their new owner is playing up to this lmage he has created and he seems to think he fits in perfectly at leeds. its shocking how low they have fallen but they have one thing going for them and its their fanatical loyal support. i cant stand them but fair play to the fans for sticking with them. whats happend at leeds has galvanised an already close knit fanbase. they will do naff all good with that muppet running the club.

Think their squad is overrated tbh...did you see the third goal they conceded yesterday with their goalkeeper?

Looking at it I don't see many goalscorers there Billy Sharp aside (and he hasn't done much in recent seasons).

A squad full of untried kids, demotivated experienced players and a whole host of unknown foreigners.

As we've seen that squad template works well over a season dosen't it....

Leeds are a utter joke of club who seem to be taken over by morons each time they are sold. Incredible to think just over ten years ago they were playing in the Champions League semi-finals.

Â