• El Ahmadi
    • N'Zogbia
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Albrighton (for Weimann 65)
    • Herd (for El Ahmadi 72)
    • Lichaj (for Bennett 86)

Obviously delighted with the result, but we conceded the same goal again and it is starting to get worrying now. We seem to stand off the opposition when they have the ball 30-35 yards from goal and we are being caught out time and again with it. Balotelli scored with it tonight, Southampton tore us apart with it on Saturday, Brad had to make a spectacular save from Nathan Dyer against Swansea because we didnt press the ball and Newcastle scored with it too. It seems to be a real weakness that needs to be addressed, but it strikes me as it's something Lambert is aware of and is just a by product of something else he is asking our players to do. Does he think keeping shape there is more important? Am I just reading it wrong? It just seems that we are especially vulnerable to a player with the ball 30 yards out at the moment.

Obligatory disclaimers: I can't be considered a tactical or football genius, and I've not watched a minute of this season. I could well be talking absolute shit.

If we're going to be vulnerable, I'd prefer it to be in a place that's less likely to hurt us (i.e. one that requires a harder shot).

It's amazing what you can achieve when you turn up with the intention of trying to win the game rather than simply minimise the damage.

Love the fact that Lambert got under Mancini's skin too :)

Gabby has given Lambert a right headache now, as has Delph, so it seems. Perhaps one of the keenest effects of having a bit of a squad and a manager unafraid to change things around is that it puts paid to complacency.

Manchester-City-v-Aston-Villa-Gabriel-Agbonla_2834484.jpg

Got to love that picture.

*Edit: someone posted a link allready.

Great picture but - if I can just introduce a small fashion comment here - the new shirts look incredibly ill-fitting. Hope we didn't pay too much for their design and manufacture. (Hope they can find one that actually fits Gabby, too.)

The problem for me is Gabby wearing those boots with those socks. He looks like a zap icecream.

Chuffed with that result. Outplayed a team that's well capable of winning this league in their own right. Finally have Gabby back, let's hope he doesn't injure himself again. I reckon they need to give him some athletics coach, as sprinting coaches teach sprinters how to run correctly to not get hamstring injuries.

Mario, Carlos, Gareth, Joleon, James, Scott WHO ARE YOU?!

It's amazing what you can achieve when you turn up with the intention of trying to win the game rather than simply minimise the damage.

Love the fact that Lambert got under Mancini's skin too :)

Gabby has given Lambert a right headache now, as has Delph, so it seems. Perhaps one of the keenest effects of having a bit of a squad and a manager unafraid to change things around is that it puts paid to complacency.

And that's the point, too many times last season we watched a horror show brought on by McLeish's damage limitation approach to games. We played a strong size and never gave up.

As for Gabby and Delph competition for places is always good. I have to say Gabby looked very much like his old self last night which was great to see.

Amazing result , thoroughly delighted. We beat a very good side on their own patch. I heard a stat that said something like they had won 37 of the last 39 at home and had drawn the other 2, or something like that.

Always good to beat teams like this and Chelsea, clubs that are no mark clubs without the wealth of a small country behind them.

Wow, not a bad result after being mauled at Southampton three days earlier! This kind of inconsistency is at least a step up on last season's consistency (i.e. the same level of dullness and crapness game after game).

BTW, when was the last time Villa beat a "big" team in a cup match? I can't remember but I'm pretty sure it was a long time ago.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with that City side last night. They still had probably £150m quids worth of talent on show and they got spanked.

Excellent performance from our boys and showed immense balls to pick themselves up off the floor after shipping four themselves on Saturday. Gabby will pick up the MOTM, obviously, but I was glad to see N'Zog more involved. And, if Tekkers continues to play the way he did then the competition for places will be very interesting.

Top result.

• Like 4

What did people make of the challenge that sparked off the managers row?

From the very limited view I've had, Bennett may have been a little lucky to stay on in my opinion, although I've read other people saying Barry should have been sent off for it. I'd be interested to hear the views of people that saw it more clearly.

Â