• Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Albrighton (for Weimann 65)
    • Herd (for El Ahmadi 72)
    • Lichaj (for Bennett 86)

Would have been a nice game to watch.

Highlights (poor quality)

cheers for that, followed it on the beeb on a phone in a restaurant up the road from here outside rome and NO-ONE could understand what i was so distraught and then excited about. fiorentina v juve was on int he place...

so chuffed, we need to follow this with a win in the league but this is good. even a man city team with 10 changes in has quality all the way through it. we bossed the possession over 120 mins. something an AM side could only dream of.

UTV.

Welcome back, Gabby! (Our "fourth choice striker" as someone described him on the main board)

Well done Zoggy - you've always been my favourite Villa player!

And thanks Agent Barry. Your work really is done now, old git.

Wouldn't half fancy a decent cup run now. 8)

Welcome back, Gabby! (Our "fourth choice striker" as someone described him on the main board)

Well done Zoggy - you've always been my favourite Villa player!

And thanks Agent Barry. Your work really is done now, old git.

Wouldn't half fancy a decent cup run now. 8)

Briny, I gave Gabby a bit of adverse, but hey I think its great when they prove me wrong long may it continue.

Just got back from the match.

Fantastic result fantastic support ;)

Special mention for Delph who I thought was MOM. Didn't put a foot wrong all night with some fab interceptions and nice bits of skill. Honourable mentions to Bennett and Gabby who looked like the player we all think he is.

Superb ;)

well well well.

I must have more belief in Villa you know - I have got so used to us crumpling after a bad result and not bouncing back like this. This is an even bigger win than Swansea, and we MUST turn the corner against West Brom.

Gabby was immense, lets hope he keeps this up. I think Bent has just lost his place!

This sets us up on a nice cup run now. Woopeeee

At work, checking the tele text on the mobile. 2-2!?! I thought that we'd at least get away from this with our heads high. LAter on 2-3! Maybe we'll just get out on penalties. Then, 2-4. Couldn't believe my eyes. I think I told almost everyone at work that we'd one. What a great result. Love it. UTV!!! :D Glad for all those who could watch it. Must've been a wonder game to watch.

I fully believed we would lose until that 4th goal went in. When it was 2-2 I thought they'd get a late winner before ET. When it was 2-2 in ET I thought they'd get a late winner then, and when it was 3-2 to us in ET I thought they'd get a late equaliser and win it on penalties.

Ah remember this, just 18 months ago:

Houllier said: “First of all, you play against a bigger team than ours. Sorry, Manchester City at the moment, and this is our challenge for the future, are above us.”

Houllier then admitted that they could have nicked a draw at Eastlands before confessing that he did not much fancy a replay, presumably with Premier League survival still at stake.

He said: “I thought we could have a draw there and if you draw you have to replay. That means you play Saturday, Wednesday, Monday and maybe Saturday. You have to take that into consideration.”

Houllier was then asked if he thought his strongest team could have beaten Manchester City. His answer will shock Villa fans and should set alarm bells ringing at both Premier League and FA headquarters.

Houllier’s response: “No. Honestly, no. It would have been difficult. I knew they would put their best side out and their squad is better than ours, but look at the figures. Look at the players they have.”

Okay it was a later round, so City probably cared more & we had other concerns at the time, but even still it is nice we now have a manager who is not defeatist about such games. I'm certain even if we were in relegation battle, Lambert would never be so negative about our chances of winning a one-off cup match.

Obviously delighted with the result, but we conceded the same goal again and it is starting to get worrying now. We seem to stand off the opposition when they have the ball 30-35 yards from goal and we are being caught out time and again with it. Balotelli scored with it tonight, Southampton tore us apart with it on Saturday, Brad had to make a spectacular save from Nathan Dyer against Swansea because we didnt press the ball and Newcastle scored with it too. It seems to be a real weakness that needs to be addressed, but it strikes me as it's something Lambert is aware of and is just a by product of something else he is asking our players to do. Does he think keeping shape there is more important? Am I just reading it wrong? It just seems that we are especially vulnerable to a player with the ball 30 yards out at the moment.

Kicked off at 0445 over here. Set the alarm which duly woke me. Thought about getting up... took in to account the opponent, venue and competition and rolled over for more slumber. Woke up again just after half time and nearly rose out of bed, but.... nup. So very filthy with myself but the result doesn't half quell the bitterness! Think I'll get up for the next one.

Manchester-City-v-Aston-Villa-Gabriel-Agbonla_2834484.jpg

Got to love that picture.

*Edit: someone posted a link allready.

Great picture but - if I can just introduce a small fashion comment here - the new shirts look incredibly ill-fitting. Hope we didn't pay too much for their design and manufacture. (Hope they can find one that actually fits Gabby, too.)
  • Like 1

Â