Computer Virus (cold call)

Daniel

Not sure if it's been posted here before.

Does anyone get these companies calling saying they are from Microsoft and saying your computer has viruses /errors? I get them 3-4 times a month. Most of the time i just call them a fraud and they put the phone straight down, but the one today was throwing some horrible abuse at me.

Yeah, I normally never answer unknown or withheld numbers. I figure if it's important, they'll leave a message.

You can join the Telephone Preference Service, which should stop unsolicited calls.

I seem to remember the TPS is increasingly just ignored, especially as considerable numbers of cold callers are now calling from abroad.

I **** hate cold callers. My brother actually had this exact thing happen to him, eventually managed to spook the guy on the phone into hanging up. We had a period where we were getting calls from 'surveyors' constantly, I took to just hanging up instantly after trying to get them to stop ringing first with politeness and then anger.

TPS doesn't apply anymore as chindie has said. There's many ways you can get round it - the common 'in' thing at the moment is to use a VPN to abroad to make the call from the office, located in the UK. So they're calling from the UK. Except of course, "they're not".

Anyone who phones up asking for details gets an amusing hiding every time from me. I don't get angry, I just love confusing them.

"I'm calling from Microsoft, there's something wrong with your computer"

"What's wrong with my computer then?"

"Well sir, your registry on your computer has been infected with a virus".

"Blimey! That must have been difficult considering one is a Macintosh and the other is running Fedora Linux. You do know both of these computers don't have a Windows registry, right?"

"Er....er....**** you and your family!"

"Right. Thanks for calling mate"

I had the microsoft error report scam a couple of months ago.

I kept the bugger on the phone for nearly 30 minutes by constantly appearing to be just about to give him what he wanted, claiming it took ages to warm up and so on. I figured that was 30 minutes of other calls he wasn't making.

Haha yes I got this a few months ago when I was back in England. It was a good job my Mum didn't answer.

He was a right word removed aswell, and I told him as much. He was an Asian chap who kept saying "you are having problems with Mickelsoft, I need to help you".

I gave him about 30 seconds, literally saying "blah,blah,blah" before he told me to stop wasting his time, and he put the phone down.

I had the microsoft error report scam a couple of months ago.

I kept the bugger on the phone for nearly 30 minutes by constantly appearing to be just about to give him what he wanted, claiming it took ages to warm up and so on. I figured that was 30 minutes of other calls he wasn't making.

Yes, I did something like that. I was very apologetic about the trouble I had caused with my virus, but he was very nice about it. I let him talk me through all the steps I was supposed to do, then after a few minutes said I didn't really understand what he was saying, and I didn't have a computer.

He sounded about as annoyed as I felt by getting the spam calls in the first place. So that seemed fair.

I've never gotten cold called on my mobile phone, apart from if I've done something on the internet (like car insurance or something) and not clicked the button in the corner of the screen that says 'do not contact me with offers etc'.

I've never gotten cold called on my mobile phone, apart from if I've done something on the internet (like car insurance or something) and not clicked the button in the corner of the screen that says 'do not contact me with offers etc'.

those insurance ones are the worst for me

"good evening sir, i believe we can beat your car insurance quote, lets see what we can do...."

10 mins later after giving him every detail again i get back a quote 500 quid more expensive than what i started with and then they seem genuinely surprised when you tell them to **** off, and resort to "well if you buy today, you recieve a free tax disc holder"

those insurance ones are the worst for me

"good evening sir, i believe we can beat your car insurance quote, lets see what we can do...."

10 mins later after giving him every detail again i get back a quote 500 quid more expensive than what i started with and then they seem genuinely surprised when you tell them to **** off, and resort to "well if you buy today, you recieve a free tax disc holder"

"We can insure you for £500."

"My current renewal is £300."

"Oh, let me see what I can do... is £468 okay?"

"Well I would never pay £200 too much but £168 over the top is fine... not!"

:wave:

Â