• Bannan
    • Bent
    • Holman
    • Benteke
    • Westwood (for Ireland 46)
    • Agbonlahor (for Bannan 68)
    • Bennett (for Lichaj 68)

wow...

i hoped for a draw but i didnt expect to see that toothless shit...

i cant think of 1 single positive....

im expecting an up and down season but this defeat really hurts...

the blame today lies solely at the feet of Lambert for me...

this diamond formation he is obsessed with got well and truely bummed by SOUTHAMPTON...

the gaps in our midfield were astounding and taking Ireland off made it far far worse..baffling decision...

his replacement Westwood? well i looked forward to seeing him but he was **** awful and looked completely overawed....

on paper a team with Lichaj,Westwood,Bannan,Holman,Lowton does seem remarkably poor...

Holman offers nothing in the way of football...he's just there to run around...

and i dont think Bent and Benteke actually linked up once....

i expect major changes against West Brom...Bennett, Zogbia for width and gabby for pace all to come in please

For the love of God, use a full stop and not a **** ellipsis.

Bannan 0

Lichaj 0

Lowton 0

Westwood 0

Our only decent player was Holman who was the only player to show any desire and didnt stop running as usual for 90 mins

Lowton can be forgiven he's been one of our best players so far this season unlike the rest

We truly are woeful

Well that was a reality check...

I missed the first half, but the second half was a total nightmare. Didn't look anything like we did last week. Hoofing balls all over the pitch, getting caught flatfooted on defense, just a complete lack of cohesion.

It's clear that Lichaj has to be dropped, he's not good enough. KEA looked invisible, Holman's only real strength is his work rate, too often his passing is sloppy and his touch on the ball too heavy.

We never should have sold Michael Bradley. Huge mistake. We still lack a midfield boss, and that's what we really needed based on what I saw. That and better defending from the back four. They should be made to walk home for conceding that third goal.

It's possible they came into this match too cocky...a very discouraging regression in form...hopefully Lambert uses this as a lesson, and they put it behind them.

We simply cannot afford whippings like this from inferior sides.

Awful 2nd half, no question. Feel to pieces and got cut open time and time again. I think it shows how brittle our confidence still is: one setback when they equalize and it was like house of cards.

Constantly going long was frustrating - not necessarily always hoofing, but floated passes when we could be keeping it on the ground, we never took control of the ball. Every time we got it, it was back to Southampton within a few passes. Very surprised Lambert stuck with Bent-Benteke when nothing was sticking & we were losing midfield battle (esp after Ireland went off). The end was like a 4-2-4 with KEA and Westwood obliterated as the middle 2 and the 4 up front never keeping the ball. Think any defence would struggle if opposition has that much space in front of them (not really excusing how easily some of the defenders let them through, mind).

Guzan will be breathing huge sigh of relief..ref gives him red there and he might be back on bench for months. Not so good today from him, although only 1st where you could say he could've done much better.

Do think people need to look past names a bit - so many in this thread blithely calling Southampton worst side in the league, when that is something that can't be close to being known after a handful of games. 3 of their 4 losses were Man Utd, Man City & Arsenal so it's hardly a true picture of where they stand compared to the rest of the league. They had a bad loss to Wigan, but otherwise you wouldn't expect any team to be on many points from those fixtures. And they did give both City & Utd big scares. I don't think they're as good as we made them look in 2nd half, but also not as bad a 4 losses in a row suggests..

I think a game based on work rate and closing down instead of quality isn't going to get us very far, especially when we fail to do that.

Lambert has a team riddled with inexperience and lack of quality and it will take a lot of time to put that right, he has to start with the defence as the game of statues we had going today was depressing, even Vlaar stood still at times and let Saints fwds past him, mainly because i think he thought someone else had the situation covered.

what bothers me most of all is everyone was poor today, how can that happen an entire team just go to horseshit in the space of a week?

**** this forum is sometimes embarassing...one poor results after two good games and Doom & Gloom Patrol on at it again.

Or you could look at it the other way, 2 good performances sandwiched by dozens of piss poor performances. Take your pick.

Currently waiting for the train soon leave Southampton...what on earth happened in the dressing room at half time? I mean, Ireland did ok in the first half, but his departure wasn't enough to warrant the complete and utter break down in the cohesion of the team in the second half. Even if trekkers header from one of the earlier corners had gone in, we probably would've lost it anyways. From where I was sitting, the defense in particular was at fault. Ugh. It just looked so easy for soton to get through us time and time again.

Ireland MOTM, he was dictating the play and his pressure on their midfield was keeping us well on top. I can only assume he had picked up a knock.

We weren't particularly great first half but we were still cruising and I think if that header from Benteke had gone in we would have played out a win. SOuthampton are a poor team but toward the end of the second half we were making them look like a CL side.

Lichaj had a poor game today.

Wouldn't blame Guzan for any of the goals, and I am glad the ref used a bit of common sense and didn't send him off at the end.

Cracking play from Lambert for their first.

The WBA game is very important now, need a point at the least to steady the ship.

The only way I've managed to see this is a half decent light is that, even though they were statist ally the worst team in the league, they did only lose to Citeh by the slimmest of margins...

Straws. Clutching.

BAD!!! Very bad all round today, Why the hell did Lambert take off Ireland at half time? if he was injured OK but he seemed fine to me. Westwood was a poor choice as a replacment and it showed, the lad needs more time. The long balls out to Benteke were wasteful IMO.

We have a few tough matches coming up and needed all three points today. Cant pick a player that stood out today, so i wont be voting.

Guys I think we just have to be patient. I think this good/bad pattern is just something we'll need to put up with this season as Lambert makes his mark on the team and gets his tactics sorted. Yes it was an embarrassing loss but we were a couple of inches of Benteke's header going in and a more comfortable 2-0 lead.

The main concern for me was our fullbacks getting caught out of position on the counter attack, leaving Vlaar and Clark horribly exposed. Unfortunately this seemed to coincide with Ireland being subbed off and Westwood, who seemed to be a bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights, couldn't close down their midfield runners.

The other concern for me was the way the players went into their shells when Soton scored - we were crying out for someone to really step up and show the way but, unfortunately, no-one seemed to be up for a scrap. El Amahdi was probably the most disappointing in that regard. We really needed someone to get stuck in and bring the ball forward, but he just didn't seem interested.

Â