Meanwhile in Iran ... a grenade is thrown on the field

BOF

... and a player nonchalantly throws it off the field seconds before it blows up. He didn't realise it was a grenade at the time of course.

A Soccer Player In Iran Threw A Grenade Off The Field Just Before It Blew Up

Various objects were thrown onto the pitch at a club soccer game in Iran including a hand grenade. One player bent down to pick up the grenade and throw it off the field and it went off just seconds after he let go.

The match, which was a quarterfinal match of the Asian Champions League, took place in Esfahan’s Fouladshahr stadium last night between Sephan FC of Iran and al-Ahli SC of Saudi Arabia.

The match was briefly paused after the explosion and then continued. The game ended in a draw.

Wouldn't a grenade have been a bit more powerful than that? I thought they threw out shrapnel over a wide radius and were designed to kill or maim people standing as close to the explosion as pretty much everybody in that video. I'm not trying to trivialise the incident because it's clearly worrying that some kind of incendiary device was thrown onto the pitch and allowed to explode so near to people but it doesnt look powerful enough to kill anybody to me. The bloke is lucky it didnt go off in his hand though!

I think it's some sort of fire cracker (dunno if that's the right term).

Certainly isn't a grenade. It would still have **** the guy's arm up if he'd been holding it. But if it was an actual grenade then all the guys you can see in that video would be in deep shit.

Still serious, obviously.

There are different types of grenade. They are not all like the ones in Rambo movies.

Obviously.

But this one exploded about 6 feet away from those guys, and caused no injury whatsoever.

It's probably technically classed a s a grenade I suppose. But it's not like it was your standard hand grenade.

Â