Pirating

limpid

Why use torrents?

Might as well put a sign up outside your house saying your illegally downloading!

Far better ways without broadcasting your ip.

VPN or Proxy should address this.

As well as slowing you down to a snails pace.

Currently slamming full speed torrent using a VPN.

Why use torrents?

Might as well put a sign up outside your house saying your illegally downloading!

Far better ways without broadcasting your ip.

VPN or Proxy should address this.

Exactly. You wouldn't go unprotected with some woman you've picked up, the same applies to the internet.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

There isnt a person on this site who has not pirated an illegal Villa stream into their brain.

Except they're not illegal. Simon wouldn't allow them to be linked if it were breaking the law.
They are definitely illegal . If you stream a TV channel without the hosts permission then you are breaking the law. Telling people where you can watch illegal streams however is not illegal.

the lists pop up on twitter about an hour before each game, you get to know which are decent reliable feeds

obviously I wouldn't condone it, but some would say 'yeah, stick it to the sky high sky prices man, man'

Personally, I'm a bit of an old school mixtape type of pirate. I'll happily buy a CD, copy it for those mates i think will like it and eventually, those that did like it, get legit copies, stock up on the back catalogue and go to the gigs. Surely there isn't a band or their management in the world that want me to stop doing that?

Perhaps the two biggest examples of that have been SFA and Alabama 3. They've been 'discovered', I've copied and spread the message. As of today, there are 5 or 6 of us that now have the entire A3 back catalogue and see them a couple of times a year.

Currently doing the same trying to spread the word for a little start up band 'Mountain of love', they've sent me an mp3 zip file of their new album, I've got copies going out today? Is that bad?

There isnt a person on this site who has not pirated an illegal Villa stream into their brain.

Except they're not illegal. Simon wouldn't allow them to be linked if it were breaking the law.
They are definitely illegal . If you stream a TV channel without the hosts permission then you are breaking the law. Telling people where you can watch illegal streams however is not illegal.

The FA's attack dogs have claimed that publishing links is contributory infringement. As I don't have several hundred thousand pounds to prove them wrong in court, I remove links to streams as I find them. Copyright law is about who has the most money, not who is right.

The FA's attack dogs have claimed that publishing links is contributory infringement. As I don't have several hundred thousand pounds to prove them wrong in court, I remove links to streams as I find them. Copyright law is about who has the most money, not who is right.
I wonder if they have adopted the same tactics with google ?

I wonder if they have adopted the same tactics with google ?

No, they bully smaller sites. Twitter and facebook are also full of links.

Slightly off topic but kind of on topic. Why do you not allow links to streams in a match thread, but then have a seperate thread for it? I'm sure there's a good reason, I'm just curious. :)

The match thread is hard enough to monitor during games that I don't want to have to deal with links to streams. I'm aware that other people create streams threads and I remove them as soon as I'm aware of them. The net result is that when the legal types look, there are no links to streams. When I'm at the game it means catching up afterwards is easier.

Linking to streams puts the future of the site at risk which is why the punishments might seem severe.

Personally, I'm a bit of an old school mixtape type of pirate. I'll happily buy a CD, copy it for those mates i think will like it and eventually, those that did like it, get legit copies, stock up on the back catalogue and go to the gigs. Surely there isn't a band or their management in the world that want me to stop doing that?

100% this. I've spent a fortune on stuff that I only discovered through an initial 'technical illegality'. It's free advertising. 

• Like 1

I don't see the harm in downloading a TV show that has aired in the States when you plan on buying it a few months down the line (when released in the UK). I also don't see the harm in downloading a torrent of a film you already own. Just wanted to put that out there...

If they wanted to trace you, if they really really wanted to, they could. Networks are incredibly complex, but your IP is ALWAYS on show, somewhere.

Truth is, they don't. They're too busy chasing the source.

Except there are services which make it impossible for them to track you.

VPNs that don't log, TOR, just two of many options to avoid being traced.

There is an issue: It's illegal. You can't choose which laws apply to you.

You just need to convince a Jury that the law is wrong. Jury Nullification should happen more often.

You don't have juries in civil law in England and Wales. Also a 1 billion TV rights deal means they can simply bankrupt any small challengers.

There is an issue: It's illegal. You can't choose which laws apply to you.

Actually you can. It's called democracy. Failing that you can move.

A democracy gives you the right to change laws, not ignore those you didn't like. That's what prisons are for.

If they wanted to trace you, if they really really wanted to, they could. Networks are incredibly complex, but your IP is ALWAYS on show, somewhere.

Truth is, they don't. They're too busy chasing the source.

Except there are services which make it impossible for them to track you.

VPNs that don't log, TOR, just two of many options to avoid being traced.

Can they not get a court order for said VPN company to release records?

Saying that surely VPN company's that naturally don't record IP's will surely be made illegal as you could use one to do any naughty thing you like on the Internet?

Â