Pirating

limpid

But with the explicit purpose of discouraging piracy.

I'm not trying to have a debate about which apparoach is best, both pragmatically and ethically speaking, at reducing online piracy. What I'm genuinely bemused about though is that you seem to think piracy is wrong, yet you openly admit to partaking in it liberally. The debate is about your motive and why it doesn't make a lot of logical sense, not the methods you advocate.

I don't see how someone can't have the opinion that something is wrong, but still do it anyway. Do you think people that steal cars think it's right? That they should be allowed to do so? Or the people buying a knock off telly from some guy down the pub, they know it's stolen, they know it's wrong, but hey they're getting £500 off the list price! As long as you have a decent motive for it, you can easily justify doing something that you think is wrong.

My motive is simple, I want to watch things now, not in 6 months, and I don't see why in this age we should be restricted on content based on geographical location.

It's not for monetary reasons, I have a full virgin media tv subscription with sports and movie channels, and I pay a considerable amount to pirate. Infact if I take into account the subscriptions to sites I shouldn't have subscriptions to (like a certain US based football site that streams all 3pm games, and to the VPN I use to access it) then I pay more to pirate than I do on my legitimate TV subscription. Why would I do that? Simple, convenience. I wake up in the morning and my tv shows are there in HD ready to watch, I don't have to wait for them to air on UK tv, I don't have to deal with adverts, they're just there waiting for me.

It makes perfect logical sense, I get a better product from piracy than I do from my paid services, to the point where I'm happy to pay to pay for it. If that doesn't tell you how **** up the industry has their digital distribution then nothing will.

Now if you were questioning my morals instead of my motive, then you might have a point.

• Like 2

I don't see how someone can't have the opinion that something is wrong, but still do it anyway. Do you think people that steal cars think it's right? That they should be allowed to do so? Or the people buying a knock off telly from some guy down the pub, they know it's stolen, they know it's wrong, but hey they're getting £500 off the list price! As long as you have a decent motive for it, you can easily justify doing something that you think is wrong.

My motive is simple, I want to watch things now, not in 6 months, and I don't see why in this age we should be restricted on content based on geographical location.

It's not for monetary reasons, I have a full virgin media tv subscription with sports and movie channels, and I pay a considerable amount to pirate. Infact if I take into account the subscriptions to sites I shouldn't have subscriptions to (like a certain US based football site that streams all 3pm games, and to the VPN I use to access it) then I pay more to pirate than I do on my legitimate TV subscription. Why would I do that? Simple, convenience. I wake up in the morning and my tv shows are there in HD ready to watch, I don't have to wait for them to air on UK tv, I don't have to deal with adverts, they're just there waiting for me.

It makes perfect logical sense, I get a better product from piracy than I do from my paid services, to the point where I'm happy to pay to pay for it. If that doesn't tell you how **** up the industry has their digital distribution then nothing will.

Now if you were questioning my morals instead of my motive, then you might have a point.

Fair enough, thanks.

Although car theft is a bad example.

As far as piracy goes we need to look outside the box to get a proper perspective on the subject.For a start piracy is the word used by the music and electronic games industry to get everyone all fired up and on their side.The truth is that the whole world survives on copying one another.If someone had not invented shirts and pants and someone else had not copied them we would all be wearing loin cloths,come to that if someone had not invented loincloths and someone else had not copied him we would all be wearing fig leaves.The point is that everything is copied BUT only the music and electronic games industry make a big fuss about it.What about relegion ? as far as christians are concerned there is only one god but there are countless christian relegions, catholic,prodistant.baptist etc ...copying or not ?

How about firearms, there are companies making replicas of all types of gun/rifel knives WW II uniforms and headgear but as they are replicas it is not called copying.

As far as PC games are concerned, lets take PES for an example, number 1 to 5 could be considered new games and charge full price for them but surley when you get up to number 10,11 and 12 they are just updates and should be sold as patches and only sold for about 5 pound.So who is ripping who off ?

As for the music industry.Thats a laugh.When an orchestra plays Motzart or Chopin or similar I dont hear them going on about piracy.In the 60's there was a group called "the Righteous Brothers" and they brought out a song called "Unchained Melody" it was so popular that it was copied and sung by a lot of other singers and groups including Elvis Presley, but there was no moning about copying and if you bought the Elvis version instead of the Righteous Brothers version were you helping pirates ?

This pirating can even be applied to santa clause.In every shopping mall you will see a santa but do you hear Kris Kringles family going on about it ?

So, I think the bottom line is that you can copy santa,army uniforms,firearms,relegions and even classic composers just as long as you dont copy any of the latest songs or games.

Give me a break.

As for the music industry.Thats a laugh.When an orchestra plays Motzart or Chopin or similar I dont hear them going on about piracy.In the 60's there was a group called "the Righteous Brothers" and they brought out a song called "Unchained Melody" it was so popular that it was copied and sung by a lot of other singers and groups including Elvis Presley, but there was no moning about copying and if you bought the Elvis version instead of the Righteous Brothers version were you helping pirates ?

Mozart & Chopin are way out of copyright, which stands at 50 years in the UK for songs. In 2014 it'll be extended to 70 years, cos the likes of Cliff Richard were moaning.

If you write a song legally you are due a writing royalty every time it's sold or played to the public, whoever sings it.

Alex North & Hy Zaret did very well out of 'Unchained Melody'.

• 3 months later...

Mozart & Chopin are way out of copyright, which stands at 50 years in the UK for songs. In 2014 it'll be extended to 70 years, cos the likes of Cliff Richard were moaning.

How long is copyright in other countries?  Say USA or Europe or Japan?

Reading this thread again, I was amazed/amused at PussEKatt's completely wrong ideas about artists covering songs.

You write a song, every time it gets bought on a CD/LP/tape, every time it's legally downloaded, every time it's played on the radio, anywhere in the world, the composer gets some money, forever (OK, 70 years). Small amounts each time, but they add up.

Like Xann says, you write something that gets as popular as "Unchained Melody", you get very rich.

Why use torrents?

Might as well put a sign up outside your house saying your illegally downloading!

Far better ways without broadcasting your ip.

What difference does it make?

Until you get an e-mail from Branson asking you very kindly to stop you may as well have at it. If that's your want of course, for the record I'm not condoning anything. 

Why use torrents?

Might as well put a sign up outside your house saying your illegally downloading!

Far better ways without broadcasting your ip.

like what?  just for information purposes of course.

Copyright law is utterly ludicrous in this country.

I've already stated elsewhere in many topics my utter abhorrence of the likes of PRS, an organisation whose very existence is way past its purpose,

Can't really add much to the discussion but ... when I played in the 70;s we had to fill-in a PRS return at certain venues, Mecca for one. At the same time, the Musicians Union, which we had to join, were running a campaign called "Home taping is killing music " .This ,in my opinion, was helping the 'big boys' not ordinary musos;  what was really killing music was the use of DJ's instead of musicians at functions and cabaret acts using backing tapes instead of backing musicians. Would be interested to know if DJ's have to fill in PRS returns.

Â