Next Gen Series 2012/2013

mikeyp102

No it wouldn't have. Why would it? Anything can happen in a single match. Had we been beaten by Chelsea, we'd have been finalists in the top competition on the continent for youth teams. That in itself is a great accomplishment. In getting through their group, through each knockout stage, and getting to the final, they've shown consistency and an ability to come up against the best in their age group. Losing the final wouldn't have changed any of their accomplishments on the way there

That single one off match has no bearing on the likelihood of any of them making it as professionals, the whole tournament however, is a good indicator that they're on the right track. And further than that, it's a good indicator that the youth setup at the club is among the best in the game

Again this is kind of my point.

If they hadn't won it wouldn't have changed anything. It wouldn't have made them less likely to succeed. It wouldn't have meant they had less potential. It wouldn't have changed anything. Winning or losing they still would have been highly rated young players coming through the ranks. Nothing has really changed hence my opinion of this wim doesn't mean anything.

No it wouldn't have. Why would it? Anything can happen in a single match. Had we been beaten by Chelsea, we'd have been finalists in the top competition on the continent for youth teams. That in itself is a great accomplishment. In getting through their group, through each knockout stage, and getting to the final, they've shown consistency and an ability to come up against the best in their age group. Losing the final wouldn't have changed any of their accomplishments on the way there

That single one off match has no bearing on the likelihood of any of them making it as professionals, the whole tournament however, is a good indicator that they're on the right track. And further than that, it's a good indicator that the youth setup at the club is among the best in the game

Again this is kind of my point.

If they hadn't won it wouldn't have changed anything. It wouldn't have made them less likely to succeed. It wouldn't have meant they had less potential. It wouldn't have changed anything. Winning or losing they still would have been highly rated young players coming through the ranks. Nothing has really changed hence my opinion of this wim doesn't mean anything.

BJ, I don't know if you have any kids, but if you do have a son and he got to play for the Aston Villa youth team and was part of a team that won this tournament, please don't tell him that it didn't mean anything cause he'll probably not make it anyway.

What a stupid thing to say.

BJ, I don't know if you have any kids, but if you do have a son and he got to play for the Aston Villa youth team and was part of a team that won this tournament, please don't tell him that it didn't mean anything cause he'll probably not make it anyway.

What a stupid thing to say.

Yes, it would be very stupid to say that. Just like it was stupid 3 or 4 days ago to say it.

Were Greece really the best international team in Europe the year they won the euros?

Were Chelsea really the best team in European football last year?

Does the best team always win a cup competition?

Also surely a youth academy is judged on the quality of players they produce for first team football and not on medals and trophies.

Not sure if Southampton have won much but they've produced Wayne bridge, Theo Wallcott and Gareth Bale. To me that's more impressive than winning a youth tournament.

Edited by Big_John_10

Not sure if Southampton have won much but they've produced Wayne bridge, Theo Wallcott and Gareth Bale. To me that's more impressive than winning a youth tournament.

Walcott and Bale were both trashed by their fans until about a year ago.

Its impressive that our academy has won the next gen, but until these players come through and show it in the premiership its nothing but nice and by no means demonstrates our ability as a top european academy.

That being said it is promising, and great for the club. You hear and see every academy say that results are not important, and its development of players that is vital. A good academy is judged on the players it turns out, not the tournaments it wins. Its nice, its impressive but not the be all and end all.

That being said I think we have a good academy, we certainly need to churn a couple of good ones out in the near future but we have some promising kids coming through. Fingers crossed they can make it 

And that means what?

Interesting hearing the two guys on the Aston Villa review podcast this week. I think a lot of fans would agree.

And that means what?

Interesting hearing the two guys on the Aston Villa review podcast this week. I think a lot of fans would agree.

You are jumping to conclusions too early about players like Weimann, Clark, Bannan, Gardner etc being shit.

Just asking but shouldn't this thread be locked now that the NextGen is finished for this season?

And to finish up these arguments that keep going around in circles.

Edited by Ghost

And that means what?

You are jumping to conclusions too early about players like Weimann, Clark, Bannan, Gardner etc being shit.

The only one of them I've said is shit is bannan.

I actually haven't jumped to any conclusion about any of the youth players.

So once again you're posting garbage.

And that means what?

The only one of them I've said is shit is bannan.

I actually haven't jumped to any conclusion about any of the youth players.

So once again you're posting garbage.

Why mentioned Walcott and Bale then?

Walcott and Bale never "made it" at Southampton. One went to Arsenal, the other Tottenham.

On this logic we can take the credit for Gary Cahill, even though we sold him on before he made it here.

Luke Moore scored another goal for Swansea this weekend.

Â