Mass Effect: Andromeda

hogso

Every line of dialogue appears to have been performed by a speech synthesizer. I half expect Hawking to cameo.

Saw the walking animation video last night. Genuine tears of laughter.

I cannot believe how bad this looks. 

I don't remember the animation being this bad. However, the writing and voice acting is the worst part for me. It's just so lifeless.

Might try out Zelda instead of this, never thought I'd say that. 

I've read a few reviews this afternoon. General concensus is about 6-8/10, with the 8's seemingly being very generous. Even the reviews that give 6's, which applaud the combat, RPG elements, occasional look of it, and use of the Nomad, read like a game that should be a 5/10.

I just can't get over how stupid the story is for a start. I would not come close to suggesting that the original trilogy is a masterpiece of story telling, but there was an eagerness and 'nerdiness' in the use of many sci fi stereotypes that I always found very endearing and engaging. This appears to be completely devoid of any personality. The fact that this group of thousands of Milky Way inhabitants just come along in to this new Galaxy and start colonising seemingly on a whim, without a care...ugh.

Even if you ignore the graphical issues, the plain badness of the VA performances overall, poor writing (I read one review that refers to the dialogue as 'about as natural as spray on cheese'), and non-sensical story, the mission structure seems rubbish and boring too, using copy pasted elements in respect of both environments and tasks.

I'm getting it day one, and will attempt to make the best out of it, but will not hesitate to put it down for good if it irks me the way I suspect it will.

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What the **** is wrong with you?! :lol:

While I wouldn't bore you with the finer detail of my mental health, suffice it to say I will get it day one for more or less the same reason I got No Man's Sky day one.

Clearly my expectations are going to be dashed and this isn't the 'Mass Effect 2 on PS4' game that I was hoping for initially (go back in this very thread to see how long ago I became worried about the final product), but I really would like to sample the story, characters, and dialogue for myself - not to say I don't believe the reviews, I do, but I would still like to have first hand experience of it. If that means paying £10 more now that in say 3 months, so be it. I'm also in the fortunate financial position where ~£60, max,  for a new game will not deprive me of any other pleasantries. I know some will spend similar sums on music, or clothes, or food for example - I instead choose to spend more than others may deem acceptable of my disposable income on gaming.

Plus, probably the best reason to get it day one - I wouldn't be able to moan about it on internet forums if I didn't actually have it :P

• Like 1

You could tell the series was on a massive downward spiral when they chopped the number of playable characters in 3 compared to 2. It just felt very lazy.  Not sure I want to spoil the memory of an enjoyable series by getting this, which is almost surely going to be a complete Highlander 2/Rocky V moment.

Edited by Risso

On 19/03/2017 at 13:42, flamingsombrero said:

Yeeesh 

Lmao is this actually a real thing in the game? It's like a video a fan made for a joke on YouTube or something.

Also why did they make the main character so ugly? Every time I see a photo or video of her it just makes me laugh :lol:

I believe the female Ryder (fnarr) is based on a real, and apparently quite attractive, model, but for some reason they then made her mouth bigger in game with a permanent weird smirk.

I watched some footage last night and couldn't escape noticing all the models have legs completely out of proportion with the rest of their body. It makes the horrible animation look even worse.

4 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Lmao is this actually a real thing in the game? It's like a video a fan made for a joke on YouTube or something.

Also why did they make the main character so ugly? Every time I see a photo or video of her it just makes me laugh :lol:

I started off thinking someone had dubbed it as a piss take too, then it started to dawn on me that this was the actual game. It's horrendous compared with video games in general, which is pretty low bar, but for a mass effect game the drop off in quality in astounding.

Not that it will but imagine the Last of Us sequel getting a similar style botch job... shudder.

Edited by flamingsombrero

Put in a few hours today. In brief, all of the criticism is accurate (ye God's those constantly smirking faces), with the exception of a couple of small points I'd like to make - the major one being, as a result of how poor some parts are graphically, and all the attention that's been given, I was very surprised with just how good it looks at times. Really terrific stuff then WHAM, smirky face coming at ya. 

The second less significant positive, and I say that that as this isn't as bad as I was expecting, is the story. Admittedly I am very early in the game, and there's certainly not enough detail to really be 'good' as such, but, I have to say the mystery of it, and the pure 'alien-ness' of it all I'm actually alright with. 

A good 80% of the cast of characters though are just...yuck. Remember how in Mass Effect you'd meet interesting NPCs to really breath life in to the game? Absolutely nothing, at all, even in the same galaxy (ha) as that. Which is for me the biggest flaw.

They clearly sat down in the first week of development, and had this idea about moving the new game out of the milky way, so there would be no conflict with already established characters, storylines, planets, etc...and it's impacted massively negatively on basically all aspects of the game, trapping them in a narrative that is simply crap compared to the original set up. 

The lore is so good they could have done a game on the first contact war, a standalone, which would have been really good.

It's a shame, in short. 

Edited by hogso

Â