New Men Appointed

JohnCresswell

With Randy Lerner has appointed his Chief Executive - and thrown in a new Finance Officer too for good measure.

It was on the VillaTalk messageboards where we first learnt that an appointment of the eagerly awaited Chief Executive was coming shortly - when General Charles Krulak told posters that an appointment was "three or four days away".

Well, Randy Lerner seems to have got his man, appointing Richard Fitzgerald as his Chief Executive to take over the day to day running of the club. Fitzgerald has previously been working with IMG, the world's premiere media group. If you think that name sounds familiar - it should do - Villa director Bob Kain - also worked there for many years.

This appointment is another fantastic step in taking Villa "that bit further". Fitzgerald has a wealth of knowledge and his background with IMG shows that Randy Lerner appears determined to do a good PR and Marketing job on Villa.

Also joining the club is Robin Russell, who is leaving credit card giant MBNA after twelve years in the same role of Chief Financial Officer. Russell would have worked with Lerner at MBNA, so Villa fans are already seeing the benefits of Randy Lerner and his board's good contacts.

Welcome to the club Robin and Richard - and may you both have a successful and enjoyable time here.

So, where does this leave Steve Stride, I wonder?

As far as I was aware, Stride was kept on as he has direct knowledge asto how to run a football club, something which the new guys won't have.

So, he stays there to teach them about his job and will step back in the near-ish future.

Just a question.

All of the previous discussion in here about the CEO has been centred around hiring a 'football' man. That above all else, the CEO is the one man on the board that has to know what football is all about. We wont always have Martin O'Neill to trust our footballing matters to, and it is nice that the current board will unquestionably do what they feel MON needs/wants to do within reason but am I missing something ? Will we have a football savvy member on our board or is that it now ?

Â