Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

wedge

For the first time this season I am expecting a win. It feels strange.

A win here would be great though as it will really get the season going. I want Benteke to start but its looking unlikely. We have got to get all over them early doors. They will be fragile from their start so we have to be ruthless.

UTV!!

3-0 to Villa.. Bent, Benteke and Holman with the goals..

Southampton won't be easy though. They have troubled the likes of Man Utd already this season, though I do think their ambition to win will be their downfall. At Arsenal they looked to get their first win which left their back four exposed over and over again, they will host us today and will feel even more entitled to start their campaign off with 3 points yet if they leave that back four exposed they will lose again..

Villa make one change from the side which beat Swansea.

Christian Benteke makes his full debut in place of Andreas Weimann who drops to the bench.

Villa are searching for their first away win of the season, after previously going down 1-0 to West Ham and drawing 1-1 at Newcastle.

VILLA: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar [c], Clark, Lichaj, Holman, El Ahmadi, Ireland, Bannan, Benteke, Bent. Subs: Given, Bowery, Agbonlahor, N’Zogbia, Weimann, Westwood, Bennett.

i never thought id say a line up including lichaj,clark and bannan was a good one...

but having Lambert as manager makes all the difference, knowing the way he is setting us up and motivates even our shittest players...

i still think Lichaj shouldnt be a starter and im desperate to see Bennett play but its clear competition for places is making players play beyond their capabilities at the moment....

i think long term we will see Bennett, Gabby and Westy starting more often than not

Is there any reason why Bowery gets on the bench ahead of Baker/ Herd or any other defensive cover? A third striker just seems a bit of an unnecessary luxury to me.

i think maybe its a reflection on PLs attacking philosophy....

if lichaj gets injured Bennett comes in...

if lowton gets injured, lichaj swaps to RB and Bennett comes in at LB...

if Vlaar or Clark get injured...Lowton slots in at CB, lichaj to RB and Bennett left back...

he obviously thinks we are covered and would rather have the options to mix it up in an attacking sense...

unless 2 defenders get injured ! :?