Words You Always Have Difficulty Spelling Correctly

maqroll

Reserach, which is funny, because I am a professional reseracher.

On a related note, I know a bloke who is University lecturer in archaeology, and he pronounces the word "thousand" as "thouthand". It's very unnerving sitting in one of his seminars, hearing him talk about prehistoric settlements from thouthands of years ago.

On a related note, I know a bloke who is University lecturer in archaeology, and he pronounces the word "thousand" as "thouthand". It's very unnerving sitting in one of his seminars, hearing him talk about prehistoric settlements from thouthands of years ago.

Would that not be due to a lisp?

Would that not be due to a lisp?

Lithp, surely?

At school we used to have a (Welsh) physics teacher who couldn't pronounce "parallel" (a bit of a handicap given his subject). He was quite scary, but his attempts to say it eventually reduced us to Laughing Out Loud. Which produced the following classic outburst:

"What is so bloody FUNNY??? Every boy in the SCHOOL knows that I can't say parrarrel... palleral.. pllarrelel... AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!"

:crylaugh:

My supervisor in my office says "lickle" instead of "little".

I say this completely genuinely, I lost a large amount of any respect I had for him when I first heard him say that.

I say this completely genuinely, I lost a large amount of any respect I had for him when I first heard him say that.

I think I would have to kill him.

Yes, I would have a huge desire to punch him squarely in the face. How do you rise to the role of supervisor whilst sounding like a retard?

and has nobody ever picked him up on it?

Yes, I would have a huge desire to punch him squarely in the face. How do you rise to the role of supervisor whilst sounding like a retard?

Dunno. As I said, he's good at his job. He lacks people skills, which is why he's only at his level and not a manager.

He also has a strange sort of stutter. not a stutter as such, he doesn't say "b-b-b-b-but this....", but he just says loads of words without actually saying anything before getting to his point.

"it's like....sort of... necessarily....erm....sort of....sort of... if you think of....sort of... we need to start month end..."

I'm not even exagerrating about that.

Dunno. As I said, he's good at his job. He lacks people skills, which is why he's only at his level and not a manager.

He also has a strange sort of stutter. not a stutter as such, he doesn't say "b-b-b-b-but this....", but he just says loads of words without actually saying anything before getting to his point.

"it's like....sort of... necessarily....erm....sort of....sort of... if you think of....sort of... we need to start month end..."

I'm not even exagerrating about that.

I used to have a colleague that had the most bizarre stammer. He didn't stammer words, but entire phrases.

He'd say things, he'd say things, he'd say things like that.

He left the university some years ago, but I bumped into him - surprisingly - at a funeral. He does orations on behalf of the National Secular Society for people who don't want religious funerals.

I spoke to him, I spoke to him, I spoke to him, I spoke to him beforehand, I spoke to him beforehand, and he still had the megastammer - so I feared the worst. But amazingly, no trace of it when he was standing up doing the speech.

Much like stammerers who can sing OK, I guess.

Speaking of which - that BBC3 progamme about singing Tourettes sufferers last night was - ****! SHIT! - quite interesting.

Yeah that's exactly like this guy, although he seems to change the phrase he uses in the same stammer.

But he can be telling you seomthing and it'll be a good 20-30 seconds before he actually says anything of worth.

Â