Words You Always Have Difficulty Spelling Correctly

maqroll

Tariff. Again, it's the old English thing of where the double letters should be put. I always used to struggle with necessary too until somebody on here made it into an acronym for me. Never eat celery eat sausage sandwiches and remain young if you were wondering.

Ahhhh, 'necessary'. My spelling nemesis until I was taught the 'one coffee, two sugars' mnemonic.

Ironically, I've always - and still do - wanted to write "spelt" instead of "spelled".

"Spelt" (as the past participle of the verb "to spell") is perfectly acceptable in British (as opposed to American) English.

Some of these are habitual typos rather than not remembering spellings. More to do with brain/hand co-ordination than memory!

For example, I invariably type "becasue" for "because".

Indeed.

The ones I listed I do genuinely have trouble spelling.

It's almost all of the long, double letter words, many of which have been listed already.

I think I have just about got to grips with 'professionally' (1 f, 2 of the rest?)

'Indictment' never looks right. It just looks like there's an 'e' missing i.e. indictement. Used to have a bit of trouble with 'embarrassed' i.e. embarressed. I'm not fond of 'Liquorice' either (har har). It does amaze me the sheer amount of people who have trouble with 'definitely' and in so many different ways too.

"Separately" gets me on a regular basis.
I assume you trip up on 'seperately'? Just remember, there's a rat in separate.

Yep. So much so that when i first saw you'd quoted me I thought it was going to be to tell me I'd spelt it wrong.

I think (and I'm aware the following paragraph will be thoroughly uninteresting) I have trouble because I used to automatically spell it "seperately", but then got into the mindset of it being spelt not the way I assume it to be spelt.

But then I got used to "separately", so that mindset flips me back to spelling it "seperately", because now THAT'S not how I assume it's spelt.

Confusing stuff this spelling malarky.

P.S. embarrassed gets me too, but solely for the double R. Can never remember if it's one or two Rs.

Â