Nintendo Wii U

Si.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get this console at all.

The biggest problem I have is the issue of looking away from the screen while playing the game.

I watched the Giantbomb quicklook of Fifa and it summed the problem up well.

I don't think the standard dual stick game controller will be replaced, and any attempt to do so seems foolish

It isn't next gen, its not that much more powerful than a 360 (in some ways its actually weaker iirc, the CPU is crap). Nintendo don't play the hardware game any more.

Which is why in a years time it's behind the other consoles again.

The marketing campaign for this console is a travesty.

Non-existent more like.

It's almost as if Nintendo know themselves that they have a complete turkey on their hands and sent it out to die. The Wii bubble burst and they're back to being completely out of ideas. It's amazing how out of touch they are with the direction the industry has grown - how the hell can a company this late in the game STILL not know how to do online gaming for example.

Yeah there's not much marketing, and what there is is absolutely awful.

The thing itself is still born. Just littered with bad ideas and poor execution. The gimmick is woeful.

Even if you were interested, you'd be foolish to buy one anytime soon.

And yet there are plenty of people buying them all over the world because it is a Nintendo.

Yes there are some average reviews but there are also some encouraging ones. I think ultimately it is a subjective decision; I can remember owning an NES 8 bit IN 1987 and then always being a fan...

The marketing seems to be similar to all the recent nintendo marketing

"OH LOOK WE'RE PLAYING THE WII AND WE'RE REALLY ENJOYING IT.

OH THIS BIT IS SCARY.

HAHAHAHAHA

THAT BIT WAS FUNNY

LOOK HOW MUCH FUN WE'RE HAVING!!!"

i did notice how many times they say "new" on the adverts

saw a peter molyneux interview where he said that it'll no doubt do well but he thought it was a confusing machine where the player splits half their time between watching the screen and watching the controller, described it as good rather than great

looks like it sold 400k units in the states in the 1st week, which is 200k down on the wii

i did notice how many times they say "new" on the adverts

saw a peter molyneux interview where he said that it'll no doubt do well but he thought it was a confusing machine where the player splits half their time between watching the screen and watching the controller, described it as good rather than great

looks like it sold 400k units in the states in the 1st week, which is 200k down on the wii

One of the many reviews I have read stated this was a very intuitive and original aspect to gaming, thus championing it. However if the individual chooses they can change the setting so they play solely on the Game Pad rather than both TV and Pad.

• 2 weeks later...
in some ways its actually weaker iirc, the CPU is crap

it's a gpu based device though. you'll notice that the durango and vorbis cpus are waaaaaay slower than people expected too. game development is shifting to a point where faster gpus will handle a lot of the traditional cpu stuff. it's going to take devs a while to get used to it. ive spoken to a few about wii u development and they reckon it's going to surprise a lot of people. the games out for it now have been mostly developed using old fashioned techniques which dont come close to even scratching the surface of what's possible on a game developed in a gpu centric way that actually utilises the ram - plus there's the fact that the 1gb ram reserved for system use will actually be freed up for game use by nintendo as soon as its required

it all depends whether or not developers are going to be bothered changing how they work or not. ive heard it mentioned as training wheels for the next gen of sony and ms machines given the way its architecture works, so we might actually see effort being put in

• 3 weeks later...

i think this console has the potential to have some must-buy games, but unfortunately, as with all nintendo consoles it seems these days, we have to wait many years for these games to actually come out once the console is released, and so by the time the games are actually taking full advantage of the capabilities of the console, the next generation of consoles is well on the way and sales are starting to wain, which is a shame.

The only real reason i still go with nintendo is for the games series that are exclusive to them, without those they would be well behind the market. Pokemon/Zelda/Mario and then newcomers like Prof. Layton, in my opinion, are the only things keeping them in it

Â