Nintendo Wii U

Si.

It's a series of mingames. It has a nice, ish, framework for them but a series of minigames it is.

I don't think someone who writes about games for a living could possibly argue otherwise.

But thanks for letting me know you didn't bother reading anything else I put, it'll make it so much more justifiable for me to skip over your schilling of your employers website.

From the 8 bits to the present day I've never considered any Nintendo console to be a gamers machine, same for the vast majority of my mates.

Turok, Metroid and Resident Evil were the exception rather than the rule. Nintendo was for the kids and the Japanese.

A few years back my girlfriend asked for a Wii for Christmas. Nearly fell of the chair. Video games (think GTA) are one of her favourite rants, but she'd ended up playing WiiSports after a night on the sauce and was sold. Then we've seen the Wii popping up in old folks' homes.

So now it's machines for the kids, the elderly, the drunk and the Japanese.

Ah that's a bit harsh, the SNES and N64 were great consoles, and the Gamecube had it's moments. It's only really with the advent of the Playstation that the image of gaming changed and Nintendo started to feel a bit out of the running. Even then they stayed competitive for a few years.

From the 8 bits to the present day I've never considered any Nintendo console to be a gamers machine, same for the vast majority of my mates.

Turok, Metroid and Resident Evil were the exception rather than the rule. Nintendo was for the kids and the Japanese.

/picard

Hmmn.

]Shill

noun

1. a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc.

2. a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.

:o

OH yeh the Wii U er...I can honestly say I have zero interest in this, which is only slightly less than the interest I had in the Wii

Cant see any chance of this console succeeding. Gamers will go for next xbox and ps3 and its not a good enough "toy" for casual market. Dont forget how big an affect wii sports had on being something new and fun for parties.

I bought a wii on launch day and wont touch this.

Still cant get exciting about this thing. It will be blown out of the water by the new Xbox (and Playstation, if Sony are in a position to launch one) within a year and then we will just be exactly where we were with the Wii. Good for a handful of first party Nintendo titles, and they are starting to go to the well too many times with some of those at the moment (hello New Super Mario Brothers) but miles behind on the multi platform stuff.

This. There's a reason Nintendo have released this ~a year before the new Xbox/PS because its the only chance they have of selling any. At least they kept the Wii name because this console will just be a lather rinse repeat of the orginal Wii. A few people suckered in by the new gadget but then left woefully disappointed by the lack of 3rd party support.

This. There's a reason Nintendo have released this ~a year before the new Xbox/PS because its the only chance they have of selling any. At least they kept the Wii name because this console will just be a lather rinse repeat of the orginal Wii. A few people suckered in by the new gadget but then left woefully disappointed by the lack of 3rd party support.

The first to market advantage worked brilliantly for Microsoft last time out, but they did actually release a machine which was a generational leap on what had came before. Sales figures, probably due to the year's head start it had, often meant it was the lead platform for multi platform games and benefited from having the best version. Nintendo wont have either advantage with the Wii U.

As for the name thing? It's hardly new is it? The NES became the Super NES, the Playstation became the Playstation 2 and then the Playstation 3, and it will probably become the Playstation 4. The Xbox became the Xbox 360 and I would be extremely surprised if the new Microsoft machine wasnt called the Xbox something.

There is an argument that the Wii U is actually a terrible name for branding, especially when put in context with how they've chosen to market it. It's lead a lot of the casual demographic to think the Wii U is just a new controller for the Wii.

I work in retail, and most customers who have asked about the Wii U are wondering if its an add-on to the Wii. I don't think Nintendo has done enough to set it apart from the Wii. That being said, it'll probably still sell like hotcakes.

I may give the Bombcast a reprieve and listen this week purely for that reason. I'll just skip over Klepek sucking off Zombi-U (which he will, because it's horror).

Giant Bomb basically doesn't give a shit about Nintendo consoles anymore, it holds them in contempt. They only just give the DS and 3DS any credit, and even then there's an element of ironic enjoyment of them. In fairness, it's hard to blame them, Nintendo has **** up a lot in recent years, especially for long term fans.

Â