Nintendo Wii U

Si.

I never had an N64, but the SNES is definitely my all-time favourite console. Super Mario World, International Superstar Soccer, Donkey Kong Country, Street Fighter II: Turbo - all glorious.

This. Generally just use the Wii for SNES Emulators and what not through Homebrew now as opposed to any Wii games (apart from Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword). The SNES was a fantastic console with some brilliant games. Zelda, Secret of Mana, Mario Kart.

Still, the N64 and Gamecube were also very good with the likes of Turok, Mario 64, OoT and Body Harvest for the N64 and Eternal Darkness, Metroid Primes and the Resi remakes for GC.

Shame Nintendo have moved on to gimmicky cack at the expense of consistently good games.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm quite excited by this now. Will be interesting to see if existing Wii games have less screen blur issues when played through this or whether the HDMI makes no difference.

ill find out for you when I get to the office

do you reckon as someone who didnt enjoy the wii at all and motion controls seem a gimmick that doesnt interest me in the slightest this has anything about it that will change my mind?

yup - it's a really good console with 2 really good controllers (the GamePad and the Pro Controller are both magnificent). This isn't a system that's living off a single gimmick, and motion control isn't all that big a thing from the titles I've played so far. There will be plenty of party games and what not, but get yourself a Pro Controller and some "grown up" games and you're in for a treat

Still cant get exciting about this thing. It will be blown out of the water by the new Xbox (and Playstation, if Sony are in a position to launch one) within a year and then we will just be exactly where we were with the Wii. Good for a handful of first party Nintendo titles, and they are starting to go to the well too many times with some of those at the moment (hello New Super Mario Brothers) but miles behind on the multi platform stuff.

In fairness theres nothing to get excited about, even if you reject the idea that in a year it's the poor cousin of the other consoles again.

I've seen some footage today and found nothing to set my heart racing. New Super Mario Brothers U is, as Rev says, the same idea that's gotten tired spectacularly fast, and only brings anything new to the table when you go for multiplayer - in which case the person with the Gamepad basically becomes a child minder for other players. Nintendo Land may as well be called Gimmick Land - a series of minigames intended to show off the potential of the Wii U but managing to seemingly pull off at best 2 or 3 genuinely intriguing concepts. And even those do not appear to be anything that you're going to be coming back to a year from now. And Zombi U, whilst a welcome attempt at an adult title, suffers for it's gimmick riddled gameplay it seems to me (constantly fiddling with the gamepad, be it inventory management, scanning the environment, checking maps, etc etc. They've actually turned a problem of the very concept, constantly looking down at the pad, into a vital part of the gameplay, which I guess dependant on your view is either a cynical attempt to make up for a flaw or a smart way of incorporating a quirk of the hardware into the system).

The Wiimotes, particularly in multiplayer on these launch titles, are back in force. I don't think anyone thinks that's a good thing. I don't think you can rely much on the 'Pro' controller being utilised heavily either.

I think anyone purchasing this console any time soon, indeed I might go so far as to argue inside the next 12-18 months, is making a huge gamble. It's banking on gimmicks again, and I'm not sure theres much that tantalising on the horizon.

In fairness theres nothing to get excited about, even if you reject the idea that in a year it's the poor cousin of the other consoles again.

From the 8 bits to the present day I've never considered any Nintendo console to be a gamers machine, same for the vast majority of my mates.

Turok, Metroid and Resident Evil were the exception rather than the rule. Nintendo was for the kids and the Japanese.

A few years back my girlfriend asked for a Wii for Christmas. Nearly fell of the chair. Video games (think GTA) are one of her favourite rants, but she'd ended up playing WiiSports after a night on the sauce and was sold. Then we've seen the Wii popping up in old folks' homes.

So now it's machines for the kids, the elderly, the drunk and the Japanese.

Nintendo Land may as well be called Gimmick Land - a series of minigames intended to show off the potential of the Wii U but managing to seemingly pull off at best 2 or 3 genuinely intriguing concept#

right off the bat, you're so incredibly wrong with that that i didn't even bother reading the rest. nintendo land is anything but a series of minigames. that's what wii sports was. nintendo land is genuinely fantastic. there's serious depth in a lot of the games, and the others are score chasers' heaven

Â