Nintendo Wii U

Si.

On 27 April 2016 at 13:23, darrenm said:

It's mad really, because I find PS3 and PS4 as games consoles to be awful. Same as the Xbox with my limited experiences of that.

The games just aren't fun. They're played with awkward controllers which don't translate well to what you're actually doing with the game and the biggest challenge is learning the control system rather than learning how to play the game. Most of the top titles are FPSs which are really bad using small thumbsticks. There's nothing exceptional about anything, just maybe slightly better graphics than the last clone of the game.

Compare that to the SNES, N64, Wii, Wii U, with all of the Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros etc games which are/were truly groundbreaking, fun to play, graphics appropriate to the games and in some circumstances (Mario Galaxy) surpassed anything on supposedly superior-specced consoles. The control systems were intuitive and worked. You didn't have to learn to play the game by learning which of R1,R2,L1,L2 etc does this particular move which has nothing to do with what's actually happening.

My Wii U doesn't get a lot of use now because I don't have a lot of time to play games. But my PS3 hasn't been turned on for years as compared to the Wii and Wii U, it's pretty awful really.

I really couldn't disagree more.  I grew up with Nintendo, and Windwaker is my favourite game of all time on any format, but since then I've really found them wanting.  I thought Twilight Princess on the Wii was awful, and the controls absolutely dreadful.  And as somebody with very little coordination, I've never had a problem with the PS controllers.  Personally, I think that Red Dead Redemption, Journey, Batman Arkham City, Mass Effect 2 and Ni No Kuni are amongst the finest gaming experiences you can have, and are right up there with Windwaker in terms of brilliance.  I'm not a fan of Mario Galaxy at all, and being a fan of it doesn't make the Wii U a superior console, it just means you like the game.

• Like 1

See I also consider myself a gamer for a long time, 30 years, through Atari, nes, snes, mega drive, about 4 game boys, Playstation 1-4, Xbox 1-3, game cube, N64 albeit late to the party, GameCube...

20 of those 30 years gaming probably involved lying down or being slumped at an awkward angle, trying my hardest to have an all night session without my mom finding out or waiting for the missus to go to bed so I can get a couple of hours in or even more recently setting up a 17" TV on the floor in my living room so I can play while she watches eastenders

In the same way as VR and my comments in that thread, it might be innovative but for me I'm simply not interested in it, I don't want to change the way I play games, it pains me to play online, it's simply not what I love about gaming, for me what Nintendo have done is a fundamental change and I didn't enjoy it at all

I think as a above poster said the WII U was marketed badly. A lot of people just didn't get what the hell it was. Was it a tablet, a dd on to the wii or a separate console? They should have named it something different, that would have saved the confusion.

It all comes down to what you want when playing games in my eyes. for me games like Destiny are boring. I enjoy games like Mario Kart with friends, or Smash Brothers. If your more into sole gaming then the WII U isn't for you. 

Â