Buying a Suit

maqroll

Slaters in town is the place to go, you can buy a good suit to fit for £75 and you can get it altered at any point after you've bought it by 2 sizes.

This. Just make sure you have a good look around as often you can find a suit you like for say £200, then 10 minutes later find a suit that's nearly exactly the same for £50 cheaper.

But yeah, it's a decent shop. Got my last few suits from there myself.

Key things to look for are the fit and fabric.

Fit wise - shoulders should be the same length as yours, the sleeve should begin at exactly the point your arm begins to drop downwards; the sleeve length should allow about 0.5cm of shirt cuff to show when your arms are relaxed; when buttoned up the jacket should feel snug but not tight.

The trousers should taper to the ankle and should be worn higher than you would jeans - the top edge of the trouser should be no more than 2cm below your belly button; the length of the trouser should allow it to touch the top of your shoe when standing with no more than 1 - 1 1/2 breaks (the little kink that appears in the fabric above your ankle).

Fabric if possible should contain wool. It can be blended with polyester or silk. Anything with to much polyester can look cheap and shiny but there are some good ones now so trust your own eye when you're shopping.

For work a dark navy is always a winner, no pinstripes but possibly material interest - subtle though. You can always team the jacket up with dark denim if you're going out straight from the office and want to look smart but "out of hours".

And treat yourself to some brightly coloured socks for when you're sitting down. No Homer Simpson efforts though. Have a look at Paul Smith for ideas then shop at Zara which, if you're a reasonably slim guy, might be a good place to start looking for your perfect suit.

Enjoy!

Fit wise - shoulders should be the same length as yours, the sleeve should begin at exactly the point your arm begins to drop downwards; the sleeve length should allow about 0.5cm of shirt cuff to show when your arms are relaxed; when buttoned up the jacket should feel snug but not tight.

The trousers should taper to the ankle and should be worn higher than you would jeans - the top edge of the trouser should be no more than 2cm below your belly button; the length of the trouser should allow it to touch the top of your shoe when standing with no more than 1 - 1 1/2 breaks (the little kink that appears in the fabric above your ankle).

Fabric if possible should contain wool. It can be blended with polyester or silk. Anything with to much polyester can look cheap and shiny but there are some good ones now so trust your own eye when you're shopping.

For work a dark navy is always a winner, no pinstripes but possibly material interest - subtle though. You can always team the jacket up with dark denim if you're going out straight from the office and want to look smart but "out of hours".

And treat yourself to some brightly coloured socks for when you're sitting down. No Homer Simpson efforts though. Have a look at Paul Smith for ideas then shop at Zara which, if you're a reasonably slim guy, might be a good place to start looking for your perfect suit.

Enjoy!

Were you Al Capone's tailor?

Enjoy!

I'd have told him to ditch the hat.

Nuremburg knows his stuff.

I wear suits everyday and have to be extremely smart at work. I have discussed it before but a skinny tie would be extremely frowned apon and possibly requested to be removed.

So i have a fair few suits as i wear them every day... especially after losing 35lbs in jan-march as i couldn't adjust the 44 jackets to a 38.

My suits range in value. i have suits i got made in saville row, from reiss. from suit supply, from M&S and from the local suit place which alway has a closing down sale.

Anyway the one which everyone comments on and ask where i got made is the England team M&S suit. its top notch for your price and you couldnt get a better looking suit that looks good in work but still a bit stylish.

So id suggest M&S. i know some of them still sell the England one, id get that one if you can.

remember, the tighter the jacket (within reason), the better you look ;)

P.S it was difficult being an Irishman buying a suit with the English football team crest on the inside but was worth it, i did have to buy a black permanent marker also!

Marks and Spencer do the best high street suits, a good range of styles that should suit most ages. I have to say that Next is awful these days. All their suits, plus shirt and ties seem designed for 17 year old trainee estate agents. All shiny silver suits and patterned skinny ties. And while I would always defer to NV in all matters sartorial, I have to disagree with him on the brightly coloured socks idea. I do like a nice traditional pin stripe suit as well.

Marks and Spencer do the best high street suits, a good range of styles that should suit most ages. I have to say that Next is awful these days. All their suits, plus shirt and ties seem designed for 17 year old trainee estate agents. All shiny silver suits and patterned skinny ties. And while I would always defer to NV in all matters sartorial, I have to disagree with him on the brightly coloured socks idea. I do like a nice traditional pin stripe suit as well.

You can tell you are middle aged when Next is too trendy and M&S is stylish :P

I have discussed it before but a skinny tie would be extremely frowned apon and possibly requested to be removed.

and yet spelling mistakes would be permitted :winkold:

unless you are an undertaker , why would you have to adhere to such a strict code ?

You can tell you are middle aged when Next is too trendy and M&S is stylish :P

Im 26 and will agree on that, i dont think most Next suits would be acceptable at work. While my M&S suit has 2 buttons the top being fairly high, a fairly thin lapel, is a good royal/navy blue and has thin but not skinny legs.

I agree on bright coloured socks if you want some flair (solid red or blue are always good choices) and at the moment i also agree on no pinstripes! I have a very nice Power stripe suit but i dont think i could wear it anymore, it just looks outdated. Its all about a fairly darkish grey or navy suit at the moment

I have discussed it before but a skinny tie would be extremely frowned apon and possibly requested to be removed.

unless you are an undertaker , why would you have to adhere to such a strict code ?

Lloyds of London Insurance!

you mean that institute that lost £516m last year ? maybe they ought to focus on other things than the dress code :winkold:

Enjoy!

I'd have told him to ditch the hat.

aha its just ive never heard a suit described in such an anatomical fashion before

you mean that institute that lost £516m last year ? maybe they ought to focus on other things than the dress code :winkold:

Well i work for a Lloyds of London Broker, we had a 30% rise in gross profit last year

Edit: oh, and we looked positively dashing, while making that increase ;)

Next suits are awful! plus majority of their suits are now "slim fit", bought a suit from Burtons when i was a student, material was cack, thin and flimsy.

Brother bought the England suit from M&S, it is a really nice suit (until he split the trousers).

House of Fraser do a good sale on suits too, pick up a quality mohair one from £200-300.

Well i work for a Lloyds of London Broker, we had a 30% rise in gross profit last year

Edit: oh, and we looked positively dashing, while making that increase ;)

:-)

touché

Nuremburg knows his stuff.

I wear suits everyday and have to be extremely smart at work. I have discussed it before but a skinny tie would be extremely frowned apon and possibly requested to be removed.

So i have a fair few suits as i wear them every day... especially after losing 35lbs in jan-march as i couldn't adjust the 44 jackets to a 38.

My suits range in value. i have suits i got made in saville row, from reiss. from suit supply, from M&S and from the local suit place which alway has a closing down sale.

Anyway the one which everyone comments on and ask where i got made is the England team M&S suit. its top notch for your price and you couldnt get a better looking suit that looks good in work but still a bit stylish.

So id suggest M&S. i know some of them still sell the England one, id get that one if you can.

remember, the tighter the jacket (within reason), the better you look ;)

P.S it was difficult being an Irishman buying a suit with the English football team crest on the inside but was worth it, i did have to buy a black permanent marker also!

:lol:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the skinny tie trend, I think I'll just stick with the (one :oops: ) tie I own....all I need is a blazer and pants.

Â